Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my wife's 900LT down today to have new tires put on it. I can't believe the stock tires only got 5213 miles. The front still has probably 1000 miles left on it, but the rear tire is nearly bald. You can still see the tread, but it's mostly an outline. I run 40 psi in both tires, so underinflation isn't an issue. I am having Metzelers put on. Anyone else have the same problem with the stock tires having such a short lifespan?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I think you'll find that nearly everyone has had this problem. The stock Dunnies they put on these bikes barely last one season for a lot of us. I got 6k miles on my original rear (replaced it @ 8.8k, oops) and about 12k on the front.

My first ME880 rear now has just under 15k and still has more tread than the Dunlop did at 5k. Front tire has 11k and looks nearly new.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I ran down the rear to 9200 and the front still has a bit more but ended up replacig that with a wheel from an en500

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
You won't be disappointed by putting the Metz's on; they wore much longer than the 6k on got on the stock Dunlops (I had 10k on the Metz's when I sold the bike and there was still plenty of tread left).

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have right at 5000 miles on the stock tires and they won't be around much longer. The front tire is fine but the back is ready to be replaced. I know I'm going with Metzelers and a different size on the back, I just haven't decided which one yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am in the same boat. About to replace my Dunlops with another tire. I want to lower the RPM in the process without adding too much weight. Therefore I want a larger circumference without adding to much width to the tire. Not sure what I should use.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I am in the same boat. About to replace my Dunlops with another tire. I want to lower the RPM in the process without adding too much weight. Therefore I want a larger circumference without adding to much width to the tire. Not sure what I should use.
Well if u don't like the 200 could always look for a 180 with a larger sidewall

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
My stock rear lasted around 14,500 kms (9000 miles) of which 6000 was pulling my trailer, my front has 22000 kms (13,664 miles) on it and i aint even close to changing it .. maybe in another 5000 kms. (3100 miles). I went to the metz 880 - 200 on the rear.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Wow, 5213 miles is the lowest I've seen. Mine lasted about 8k but my problem was I never really kept them well inflated though. Now runing Metz upfront and Avon in the rear and I have about 8k on them and still got another few thousands to go. I really like how the Avon handles and so my next two tires hopefully will be both Avons.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i got 7k on mine, probabaly can get another 3k out of them. i ride the custom maybe its just on the classics. or maybe the batch of tires. IMO

·
Registered
273 Posts
old tire

I have 5500 on my back tire and it definately will need to be replaced next season. The dealer mech. told me the dunlops are junk and don't last. He said the front last about double the miles of the back. I'm planning on going with the 200 Metzler or Avon to reduce the RPM's. If I see a sale this season I'll buy one for next year. The stealer wants $300. That's way too much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put just about 5,400 miles on the original Duncraps. The front was "cupping" so bad that I was nervous driving to the dealer to get the Metz installed. Very happy with the Metzlers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've only done 2,600 miles and while there isn't much visible wear in the rear, the 'feel' of it has gone off a bit already. Not dangerously so, but it certainly doesn't feel like new anymore. I'd accept short tyre life if they felt great to start with, but they never inspired much confidence. I think if I had the spare cash I'd replace them right now. It's frustrating because I know the bike is capable of more than these tyres let it do.

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I dropped mine off at he shop tonight 4500 miles and the rear is completely bald.
I went with the 200 Night Dragons can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.
But it' been 110 degrees all week, too hot to ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went with the pirelli night dragons. I put the 200 on the back and it lowered the rpms and almost corrected my speedometer. So far have 3000 miles on them and can't complain about the ride.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My Custom had about 8500 Km's when I bought it and the rear Dunny was shot, so got the dealer to replace it with an 880 Metz as part of the deal.

The front was still OK at purchase, now at just over 12000Km getting close to the wear indicators, but the sidewall is showing age cracks, so about to change to a 90/90-21 Nightdragon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've got over 16k on the stock tires. And they are almost completely out of tread. But I'm gonna finish out the year on them. :cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts