Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, from what I understood the bottom end of the VN1500 variants are the same (especially the 2000-2003 models). I am rebuilding a 2003 Meanstreak (VN1500P2) engine using a crankcase from what is supposed to be a "2001-2005 VN1500L Nomad" and while it looks identical there are subtle differences and before I continue I was wondering if anyone knows the actual differences.

What I have found so far for instance is that the bearing race collar that one of the gear shafts fits into is a different size, with the Meanstreak being 2mm larger in diameter. You can see the two bearing races in the photo I have attached. I could machine the journal out by 2mm to fit the Meanie bearing race but would not want to do that without knowing what other differences I am likely to face.

The second and third photos for instance shows one of the oil ducts (there is one on each case side). The Meanie has a metal plate that covers that part of the left casing whereas the Nomad doesn't ... This doesn't appear to a functional issue for me but highlights the fact the cases are different.

So am reaching out in the hope someone knows what other differences there may be between the models in this age range even though I don't know exactly the year of the Nomad that the cases came from (I have tried to lookup the engine numbers but can't find a reference for this that is consistent or makes sense!).

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am not aware there were differences! But Kawasaki they are,by looking they are anything you could see if you didn’t know already! Same thing with the 1500 crankshaft as opposed to the 1500 meanstreak crankshaft! They say they are different (they being Kawasaki) but looks identical! But meanstreak 1500 and the drifter from 2001 to 2004 are the same! Not a lot of help but look at Kawasaki see what they say bud!:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I just checked the parts list numbers and they are the same for all of the bearings and races. However, the mean streak transmission gears are different from the classic and nomad, but the shafts and bearings remain the same. The plate over the case vent filter is an engineering change. Later 16 & 1500 cases have that. By the way, the 1600 cases will interchange with the 1500.

To address the difference with the mean streak crank & the nomad or classic. They are interchangeable if you use the correct pistons. It is a balance issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1500 meanie to a 1500/1600

I am in the process of rebuilding my 1500 mean streak 2002! Blew the rear main crankshaft bearing which tore the heck out of my rod! After not being able to find a crankshaft that would fit I decided to use my 1500 bottom end with 1600 crankshaft (both have 52 splines so they will work) with new 1600 rods and pistons! Heads are the same and take the same gasket sets even! I am taking my 1500 cams and putting them in as they are better( they have a better grind) crankshaft for the 1600 should be here today! It’s ised but the only thing is I may have to put new bearings in so with all research the only subtlety is the rotor! May be different but I think in essence it will work! This was done as a last resort to not being able to get a crankshaft that would work! Now I’m super stoked to say this should move me from what 1470 cc to 1599? I believe! Well it’s kinda like boring and stroking a meanie motor! So needless to say I will have a 1500/1600 motor finished and will be executing a fire up within the next two weeks! With my racing injectors, heads port and polish crankshaft lightened high combustion pistons fi2000r cobra fuel commander and stage two DG performance hardkrome pipes with a hyper charger and reed block off done I can’t wait ! Oh new cam chains too!’n:surprise: I’ll post pics I put a high flow fuel pump in last summer a kenos 130 lpm I believe! Let me know if you have any advice or anything!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for taking the time to do this Bandit! I understand how to check these things now (comparing part numbers) so will work my way through the engine as I really am not sure it was a Nomad crankcase I bought as the gear shaft roller bearing is definitely a different size.

Cheers Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts