Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!! I have a LA chopper air intake and I'm tired to clean some oil from the crankcase. Any would like to share some pics of is relocation!? Any bag experiance.... Or good one!?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice thanks!! Why did you but the breather way back? And use a longer hose? I was planning to use the same hose end but the breather just under my air intake... I want to make sure I do the right tings cause we have a road trip this weekend!

·
Registered
536 Posts
The longer the distance up hill, the cleaner the filter will stay since the oil will not get burped up far enough to effect the filter which isn't really acting as a filter ...just a vent. Actually it is "sort" of a filter since the crank case vent pulses back and forth so it could actually pull in some outside grit in a back pulse but not likely to make it very far up the line. The only thing I don't like about it being exposed is that water from rain or washing can soak the filter and reduce venting. I think I personally would put the filter up under the tank out of sight and just look at it once in a while to see if its staying clean. I think either way would work fine.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Hi!! I have a LA chopper air intake and I'm tired to clean some oil from the crankcase. Any would like to share some pics of is relocation!? Any bag experiance.... Or good one!?

I've read every thread I could find on this subject, just installed my BAK and already know I'm not going to like cleaning up that oil all the time.

Thanks for the pics Splatt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a BAK also and I had issues with oil on the crankcase. As mentioned above, the length is to avoid oil getting out at all, but if it does somehow get all that way, it doesn't leak where I can readily see it.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I've got a BAK also and I had issues with oil on the crankcase. As mentioned above, the length is to avoid oil getting out at all, but if it does somehow get all that way, it doesn't leak where I can readily see it.

How did you plug the BAK in the back?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Is it a possible cause; to much pressure in the crank case cause by some ring failure!?? every vn900 leak oil from there right!?

I'm just a bit worry cause I tonight I change my oil and my bike consume about 400ml ( less than half quart . but I'm not sure how much km I have on this oil change not that much...) I use dyno oil my bike have 16 000km.... :confused::confused:

A week before every road trip I think I searches for some trouble on my bike hehehe

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes....as far as I have heard they all do this oil leaking from the intake. Mine does too and even when the oil is in the middle of the window. It would be unusual to have oil blowing by the rings at that low of mileage but anything is possible...but it is also unusual to have that much oil loss. Mine uses no oil that I can measure in a 4,000 mile oil change. In that time I would have about 4 teaspoons of oil in my air filter box so I am using or burning no oil and have 23,500 miles on mine. Are you running oil that is thinner than 10W40 weight? I run Amsoil Synthetic motorcycle 10W40 in the winter November to March and mix 1.5 quarts of Amsoil 10W40 and 2 quarts of Amsoil 20W50 for the hot summer weather here since I ride in 105+ temperatures quite often.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I
Yes....as far as I have heard they all do this oil leaking from the intake. Mine does too and even when the oil is in the middle of the window. It would be unusual to have oil blowing by the rings at that low of mileage but anything is possible...but it is also unusual to have that much oil loss. Mine uses no oil that I can measure in a 4,000 mile oil change. In that time I would have about 4 teaspoons of oil in my air filter box so I am using or burning no oil and have 23,500 miles on mine. Are you running oil that is thinner than 10W40 weight? I run Amsoil Synthetic motorcycle 10W40 in the winter November to March and mix 1.5 quarts of Amsoil 10W40 and 2 quarts of Amsoil 20W50 for the hot summer weather here since I ride in 105+ temperatures quite often.
Thanks! I run 10w40 kawasaki oil no synthec amd the last month was very very hot not as usual! And my use oil messurment could be wrong to!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
The longer the distance up hill, the cleaner the filter will stay since the oil will not get burped up far enough to effect the filter which isn't really acting as a filter ...just a vent. Actually it is "sort" of a filter since the crank case vent pulses back and forth so it could actually pull in some outside grit in a back pulse but not likely to make it very far up the line. The only thing I don't like about it being exposed is that water from rain or washing can soak the filter and reduce venting. I think I personally would put the filter up under the tank out of sight and just look at it once in a while to see if its staying clean. I think either way would work fine.

Sorry to resurrect am old thread here...
Just purchased a 3/8" filter for my breather hose. Need to get something to secure it, isn't very tight in the breather hose and the old clamp is stretched a bit. Seems like the most "vertical" route is to go straight down and out the clutch side (under the spark plug wires), rather than go back through to the brake side?. Any issue with going that way other then there id no where to mount it? thinking about leaving it there until I get a longer hose.
KB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts