Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine says 130(why?) on the speedo but never been there. I occasionally will run it up to 90-100 but do not hang there very long. I’m not needing hi speed but I am curious.

Have you maxed out the speed on your 900 before? What is the fastest you've gotten on it and how long did it take to get there? Have you ever done this and almost had a disaster?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been around 115 mph indicated. (Of course, legally at an unspecified location :p)

The overall vibration was very high and the bike wasn't super stable, I had to let go after a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
357 Posts
had her up to about 80 to pass but quickly let her back down. vibration kills my hands, even with ISOs.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There's more to a speedometers max speed than just the vehicles top speed. Some of it is probably marketing, I'm sure someone somewhere said the speedo should read 130 because the other guys read to 120. But another reason is needle position. If the speedo read to 85 like back in the 80's, I'd probably barely max it out, but the needle would be way over to the right, nearly buried, when cruising on the interstate. With a 130 speedo it's straight up and down!

Back in the 1980's there was some weird regulation in the US that didn't allow speedometers to read over 85. Something about insurance regulations or something? Somehow our government thought that if the speedometer didn't read over 85 then people wouldn't go any faster? Dunno, they aren't always the brightest folks. Anyway, I really like Ferrari's solution to that problem :p

I'd love to have a clone of a speedo like that. I dunno why I just love the 'redline' and lack of numbers. I mean TECHNICALLY it doesn't read above 85, right? I think the REAL reason was internationally the speedo read faster, but they just slapped a different face on the same speedo for here. Like on my '85 Mercury Cougar I had, which had a digital speedometer. There's a switch on the speedometer itself (you have to take the dash apart to get to it) which switches it from reading 0-85, to reading 0-199. That way the manufacturer just 'flips a switch' based on where it ships!

Of course, the regulation only applied to 'miles per hour', so the easier solution would be just to press the button that switches the speedo to km/h. It would read much higher! Faster I got it was 170km/h, about 105mph.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I opened up my 900 LT last year. According to the GPS I hit 98.7mph. Indicated speed was 107-109. I felt there was a little more, maybe 0.5 mph, but was coming up to a known speed trap area so I backed off. This was in it's mostly stock configuration before the BW and trunk. I have no intake or exhaust or power commander work, that is 100% stock. Unfortunately I reset the trip data and never took a picture, maybe I'll try again someday with this new configuration.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
M

Have you maxed out the speed on your 900 before? What is the fastest you've gotten on it and how long did it take to get there? Have you ever done this and almost had a disaster?
I've had my Classic over 105 before, keeping up with a bunch of much bigger bikes, and routinely have it over 90.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
It just keeps the needle in a convenient spot in front of your eyes on average. If the gauge stopped at say 100, then the needle would spend a lot of time towards the right of the speedo.
And this is why I would quickly be replacing the stock speedo with an aftermarket digital display, if I knew a quality one existed. I spend most of my commutes in the 60-70 indicated range. This puts the needle right over the clock/odo display. To me it's annouying and distracting. But that may just be me.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It just keeps the needle in a convenient spot in front of your eyes on average. If the gauge stopped at say 100, then the needle would spend a lot of time towards the right of the speedo.
I just hate all that wasted space that the needle does not get to explore mainly because so many of you guys are saying that a hunnerd is about all the 9's will do. :cool:

I have my cup holder in the middle of my bars and can't see the top of speedo so if the bottom of the needle is facing due south, I'm good!

I have an older jag with 160 on the speedo. I know better!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yesterday on my way home from work I hit about 115, started get a bit sketchy after holding it there for a few seconds, lol.. So I let off but that whole ride home, about 25 miles. I was cruising at a 100, I regularly cruise around 75, 80. But it's not uncommon for the crew I ride with to keep the pace at 90, 95 for long runs and my 9 keeps up no problem.
Usually the first thing I hear after riding with some new guys that are running big motor bikes is
" that's a 900? That things quick." Lol
The vn900 deff doesn't have the top end like the bigger bikes do, and the poor 5 speed tranny screams at any highway speed, but when u compare the power to weight ratio, and handling of our bikes to any big bike... in my experience anyways, I never have trouble keeping up.
And I'm not even running a fuel processor yet.. Just a set of pipes on my bike. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in performance once I finally get around to modding the intake and giving the bike a new tune.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
115?

I think most of us have no business being there. If I had money to burn, I'd open her up and leave it there. My bike is paid for and I don't want to blow something.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
115?

I think most of us have no business being there. If I had money to burn, I'd open her up and leave it there. My bike is paid for and I don't want to blow something.
I'm a slow rider too, as I've mentioned I get more joy out of just lumbering along. I'd like to say "with traffic" but if I have it my way I'm out on some country road WITHOUT any traffic. 'Interstate' is a dirty word. That's what you go on when you need to get somewhere fast. I rarely need to get anywhere fast on my bike, or, if I do, I forgot why after the third mile and went the long way anyway :D

BUT; I don't think you're going to blow anything at 115. All that plastic on your motor is just covering up the ugly metal motor underneath, but it's there! (The plastic chrome side covers are not ACTUALLY the side covers, they just cover the grayish metal looking real side covers! lol). It'll handle going as fast as you wanna take it.

Something worth mentioning in this thread; speed is not always what it appears. Motorcycles, of nearly all makes and models, are notoriously 'optimistic' on the speedometer. By virtue of the technology almost any modern GPS is going to be extremely accurate, and if you mount a speedometer-equipped GPS to your bars you're likely to find that 90 on the speedometer is actually just shy of 80 (about 77mph). Unless of course you've done something to correct this (taller tires, pulleys, a 'speedo healer', etc.) So y'all are probably not going as fast as you think you are. When I'm cruising down some back road at 60mph (per my GPS, radar signs, etc.), my speedo is reading well over 70! Figure anywhere from 10-15% of a difference! (Though it's not linear, it seems to be more off at higher speeds than lower speeds; percentage wise)

It's something I have to keep reminding my wife as well (her bike is just as bad as mine). "Why are we getting passed, we're doing 10 over!" "No, that's just what the speedo says, we're actually doing 2 under!"

·
Registered
169 Posts
Occasionally I go fast as in 180-190km fast but the bike gets so shaky & unstable that scares the crap out of me so I let go. Plus the wind hits you so damn hard.
My usual riding is up to 100

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you're likely to find that 90 on the speedometer is actually just shy of 80 (about 77mph).
All I know is that when I crank it and the speedo needle is bouncing around 90, I think I'm running like a scalded dog. It is a little unnerving on the stock bikes to say the least!

I did wonder why I was getting passed on 70 mph posted highways. I didn't know these bikes were off so much at higher speeds.

I understand that these bikes can handle the high speed and fair well but I still do not desire to put it to a test because my luck, I'll hit a turtle or road kill and roll it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On the way to the cottage there's a nice flat straight away with good pavement in Amish country. The BIL and I went WOT with our bodies against the tank (both 900C's)...if I recall correctly we were 120+ mph and the bike felt stable.
Good thing no horse and buggies didn't pop out...wouldn't want to brake hard or turn though...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got a wild hair a couple days ago and decided to push my custom on a flat straight. The best it could do was around +100mph. I let it hang there for a few seconds and did not see it budge. Of course I do not have the speedo fix so it may not have actually been that fast. I figure if I do not see the needle continually moving up, time to back off and I did!

So, after a few more miles decided to try again and same thing. I've read about a delimiter here and not sure if this was the culprit. It felt like it had more to give but I hit the speed wall.

I was slightly let down but the fact remains that I'd rather cruise than race. If for whatever reason I need speed, what I learned it would do is good enough for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts