Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a Vulcan 800 Classic. I’ve filled it up twice and I’ve been monitoring my gas mileage. I’m only getting around 24mpg and everything I’ve seen online suggests I should be getting around (at least) 30-40. I know I won’t get anything more than 40 (and honestly I’d be shocked if got that), being that I ride in the city with stop and go traffic. However, 24 seems very low, considering my V6 truck gets 20mpg.

I’m not super mechanically incline, but I can do some pretty basic stuff. I’m not entirely sure I could rebuild a carburetor though. Is there anything else I can do?

I also want to remove the baffle from the stock exhaust. The bike is very quiet and I’d like a little more sound, for the sake of safety. My first bike was a Suzuki Boulevard and the baffle was welded the whole way down the pipe. My father and I just drilled holes in the baffle since we weren’t able to get it out. Is the Vulcan the same?

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Removing the baffles is easy. Just drill the weld, or cut it out with a Dremmel tool, and cut off wheel. I have don it both ways. Run a whole can of Either Berrymans B 12, or Seafoam To a full tank of gas, and run it out on a ride. If you still think there is a carb problem, remove it and go through it completely, it is easy, just take your time, and take pictures as you go.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
My stock 800 was getting into the mid 50s, 24 is really low, even in town. I have mine jetted for a modified intake and 1 set of baffles removed and I get mid 40s with mixed city highway riding. Remove the large hose from the petcock on the left side of the tank. In the RUN and RESERVE positions you should not have a flow of gas when not running, a small amount when you 1st remove the hose is normal, but a continuous flow means the petcock is bad. If you find this is bad, also check your oil for gas in it. Its a common issue on the 800s.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My 2005 is jetted with a drop-in air filter, stock exhaust. I get 35/40 city/highway. When it was stock I got 45/55 city/highway.

24 seems really low to me also, and points to a dirty carb or a leaky petcock, as others have mentioned. I'd have both of them checked out by a qualified mechanic. It's not a bad idea to get a good baseline by having the carb cleaned and set properly.

-John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts