Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a Bluetooth unit that can be used with a half helmet and a modular flip face helmet? and if not a half, maybe a 3/4 open face and a modular?

Im that big headed guy who has to search and re order helmets 10x to find one that fits my melon. I did find a HJC CL-MAX 2. Fits great in a 3XL. But so far the only half helmet I can find is some 9mm FLY German helmet. If anyone knows of any other brands that go up to 3-4XL. Please let me know.

Thanks and safe riding. :handshake:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. WIll do.

I was looking to use one of them fancy Intercom and cellphone use bluetooth's. But also plan on getting a half or 3/4 open Face helmets. Would like to see if I can get a setup that can be transferred from one helmet type to the next.

And also looking for a half helmet for my big head. haha

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read over your post again. That's funny you mentioned the wired. I was thinking about just using ear buds for (maybe) less wind noise. And maybe just for listening to music on long rides. Or just for knowing when the wife calls me. And just run the wire from inside a jacket pocket to my ears. But she wants me to have full function if I'm riding.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another option would be the Sena. I bought the dual Sena SMH10R so I could mount them in both of my helmets. I have a modular and a half face and didn't want to deal with the wiring transferring one unit from helmet to helmet. All of the wires and battery are neatly imbedded under the liner. I had to use the boom mic with the half face and an adapter so I could use ear buds. Now I found out that it is illegal to use both ear buds, at least in Ohio, so I will be removing the left side. It really won't matter since I'm half deaf in my left ear anyway. Both are paired with my gps and phone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also have Sena. Great for listening to my music via bluetooth and talking with the girlfriend on the intercom. I got mine for something crazy like 50% off last year on Revzilla. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
for me, riding is a time I don't have to worry about the phone.
Yeah, but it's a great technology for listening to music and using as an intercom. Bluetooth doesn't mean "a thing clipped to somebody's ear for phone calls" - it's a wireless technology.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I could probably do without my headset if I needed to, but it is nice to have on longer rides. Especially the intercom, talking on a trip is nice, especially when it keeps the passenger happy. Happy passenger = happy me.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I had a friend have his 3/4 helmet custom wired with smalls speakers in the ear space and a small sub in the back of the helmet near the skull base. It has a micropin jack into the helmet from the device. It sounds pretty good and you don't get wind noise or discomfort like you can with ear buds in a helmet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help everyone

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I'm using the Sena 10 as well. I bought a pair and was using them in both modular and 3/4 helmets. I bought a half helmet last week and instead of having to buy a whole kit they sell just the mount with the boom mic and speakers for a very reasonable price. Now I'm setup with three different helmets.

First call I took I was told the setup I'm running in the half helmet sounded better than my modular helmet. I don't get many calls so it could have been a firmware update that cleared up the sound. It's definitely harder to hear the caller in the half helmet but I think I can adjust the speaker position a bit to fix that.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Here's that Sena mounted on my half helmet. I can add more pictures if you're interested.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice. And I think I saw sena sold speaker pockets for half helmets. Is that right?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How's the sound quality on both ends at say around 55mph?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I'm not sure Sena actually has pockets to put on a helmet but I see other kits for sale to add pockets.

They sound great at 55.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The scala G9 fits every helmet and you can using on multiple just by getting the docking mount for it. It can us a boom mic or a normal mic velcroed to the inside of the helmet and the ear pieces are pretty decent.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
i have blue tooth enabled hearing aids with the speaker buds that go deep in the ear. the electronix and mics are all outside behind the ear. it requires a small, separate link device to my cell phone, clips on to shirt or pocket.. I dont use it as any phone activity overrides normal conversation.. but could use the cell phone to play music direct into my ears.
as for riding, Wind Noise is an issue for me. I wear 3/4 helmet to cover ears and reduce wind noise and potential loss of $6k hearing aids. yep, its a billion dollar industry. poncho
http://www.resound.com/en-US

·
Registered
33 Posts
What about an Interphone? I'm quite happy with my F5MC, good sound quality, works quite well with my android.

I have it mounted to a Scorpion EXO210 with 3M doublesided tape and so far so good!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts