Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
So.. My first try was about 600km ago.
I wanted to try again so i bought this filter wrench from amazon. Turn out its too damn big.
I tried to stick a wrench through the filter but it wouldnt move at all. Im not sure what kind of gorilia installed my oil filter but it just wont get out.
Any solutions? Since right now my bike is empty from oil

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
If you are in a hurry try the following, ! if your current wrench is too large try cutting up an old intertube and place it in your wrench to make it fir. 2. get the type of wrench that tightens as you turn it 3. buy or bower a large "Slip Joint Plyers.". If none of the above work you may want to, as a last resort only, Punch a screw driver through the filter. I do not recommend this method. You could also search YouTube for a solution.

Good Luck :serious:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you are in a hurry try the following, ! if your current wrench is too large try cutting up an old intertube and place it in your wrench to make it fir. 2. get the type of wrench that tightens as you turn it 3. buy or bower a large "Slip Joint Plyers.". If none of the above work you may want to, as a last resort only, Punch a screw driver through the filter. I do not recommend this method. You could also search YouTube for a solution.

Good Luck :serious:
I mentioned that i tried a lot of methods but that damn filter was too tight

Ended up buying a strap wrench (which i had doubts it will even work)
I got that sucker out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure if anyone else recommended but the K&N-303 oil filter is awesome. It has a nut welded on the end so you can remove it with a wrench / socket. It is so easy. The oil filter can be bought on Amazon too!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not sure if anyone else recommended but the K&N-303 oil filter is awesome. It has a nut welded on the end so you can remove it with a wrench / socket. It is so easy. The oil filter can be bought on Amazon too!
I actually heared that some people got a faulty filter so i got a HF filter instead

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Dunno if I necessarily agree 100% with that but, generally, as long as it doesn't leak I'd think that constitutes tight enough.

I only change mine once per year (which is consistent with miles driven and recommended service interval - one year always comes first) so even hand tight at install I doubt it would come off by hand later.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is a cheaper alternative that has the nut welded ,I use the RP303 and I bought them in bulk. Direct Equivilent to KN303 or HF303

RP303 does its job , never leaked on me and is cheap

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Hiflofiltro makes the filters for K&N. If you look at their racing filter, its pretty much identical, with nut and all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The manual says 12.9 ft/lbs torque for the oil filter. With a swipe of new oil all over the rubber seal before spinning on a new filter (I use KN303) I've never had problems getting the filter off when I apply the factory torque recommended. I'd buy an inch-pound torque wrench, 0-200 range, set it to 155 in/lbs, and you'll not have problems getting the filter off. Just my experience....

21 - 31 of 31 Posts