Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. My first try was about 600km ago.
I wanted to try again so i bought this filter wrench from amazon. Turn out its too damn big.
I tried to stick a wrench through the filter but it wouldnt move at all. Im not sure what kind of gorilia installed my oil filter but it just wont get out.
Any solutions? Since right now my bike is empty from oil

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
So.. My first try was about 600km ago.
I wanted to try again so i bought this filter wrench from amazon. Turn out its too damn big.
I tried to stick a wrench through the filter but it wouldnt move at all. Im not sure what kind of gorilia installed my oil filter but it just wont get out.
Any solutions? Since right now my bike is empty from oil

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/FRAM-FM101-Oil-Filter-Wrench/dp/B00FQT3SJ0[/ame]

The except part I have, worked great on the S; and 2008 Toyota Camry and 2012 Honda Accord.

Next time make sure the gasket is well lubed with fresh oil on the filter. Hand tight a 1/4 turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
An old belt and some vice grips may work if you have room to slip the belt around the filter. Make your own belt/strap wrench. Or buy one from your local hardware store.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I can't believe that in all of Israel there aren't any Auto Parts places that have Oil Filter wrenches. I mean it is 2019 and not the Dark Ages. And once you get it off don't tighten it so damn tight. Hand tight only.
For me that is even to tight since my huge paws can crank that sucker down pretty damn tight. Whatever you do don't use a wrench to tighten the oil filter. It doesn't need it.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
This is the answer. Used this method many times with screw-on filters.
Unless he really over tightened the filter. I have seen it where people super tightened filter on cars and we had it on the lift and couldn't get that sucker off even with a wrench. Had to use a blow torch to get that thing off. hand tighten only is my motto. If you are limp wristed then a quarter turn more but that is it!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a pair of channel locks that open just wide enough to grab and crush that frustrating little oil filter :). I’ve been there though. Frustrating!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a pair of channel locks that open just wide enough to grab and crush that frustrating little oil filter :). I’ve been there though. Frustrating!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So.. An update

After a long day yeserday i tried to punch a wrench again unsuccessfully.. I went to the garage to see if i can borrow a tool to open it.. It was closed. I then went to auto depot and bought this 5 bucks strap wrench and and opened that damn filter.. It was hard to open even with the strap

TL:DR
I opened it using a strap wrench from auto depot and everything is ok now

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Unless he really over tightened the filter. I have seen it where people super tightened filter on cars and we had it on the lift and couldn't get that sucker off even with a wrench. Had to use a blow torch to get that thing off. hand tighten only is my motto. If you are limp wristed then a quarter turn more but that is it!!
Agreed. I've seen oil filters torn to shreds using the screwdriver method and still would not come off.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
So.. An update

After a long day yeserday i tried to punch a wrench again unsuccessfully.. I went to the garage to see if i can borrow a tool to open it.. It was closed. I then went to auto depot and bought this 5 bucks strap wrench and and opened that damn filter.. It was hard to open even with the strap

TL:DR
I opened it using a strap wrench from auto depot and everything is ok now

It's amazing how much traction and torque you can get with a strap wrench. I used to get the rusted caps off of compress gas cylinders with a strap wrench when nothing else would budge them. Glad you got that sucker off.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's amazing how much traction and torque you can get with a strap wrench. I used to get the rusted caps off of compress gas cylinders with a strap wrench when nothing else would budge them. Glad you got that sucker off.
It was difficult to get it out as well
like really hard
and it was like 25+ degrees celsius outside

·
Registered
245 Posts
Make sure you lube the seal with motor oil before you install it hand tight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used a pair of channel lock pliers. Mangles the filter, but it works

1 - 20 of 31 Posts