Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I built my own. Need to pull it off this winter and purty it up a bit but it worked perfect for our 1500 mile trip through Michigan's Upper Peninsula this past week.

Wife and I are both... lets say full figured. LOL
All the backrests I've seen are to big and/or don't fold down out of the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Outstanding job! Personally, I love the Grasshopper backrest, but I admit, at times, it would be nice to have it so it folded to make things easier for the passenger to mount and dismount the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Nice job! Looks like it is commercially manufactured.

I'm going to do the same thing (with my skills, it probably won't look nearly as good as yours, though). Folding is very important to me, too, and I can make one a lot cheaper than I can buy one that folds. I already have a pad, just need to get to work on the bracket. Did you paint the metal, get it powder coated, ...?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a Grasshopper on my last bike. To be truthful it worked but it was poorly covered and the staples could be seen as well as they came out after 6 months. I just bought a Ulitmalt seat for mine. I think its the best out there and you can order it with a fold down back rest.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job! Looks like it is commercially manufactured.

I'm going to do the same thing (with my skills, it probably won't look nearly as good as yours, though). Folding is very important to me, too, and I can make one a lot cheaper than I can buy one that folds. I already have a pad, just need to get to work on the bracket. Did you paint the metal, get it powder coated, ...?
Thanks!
Mine looks great from a distance. Up close you can see plenty of imperfections. I'll do some grinding and sanding during the offseason. Maybe after that it'll be worth having a professional coating.
I just painted and baked it. 300 degrees for 30 minutes.

I had a Grasshopper on my last bike. To be truthful it worked but it was poorly covered and the staples could be seen as well as they came out after 6 months. I just bought a Ulitmalt seat for mine. I think its the best out there and you can order it with a fold down back rest.
I've been looking at the Ultimate seat/backrest. But strangely, I really like the stock Voyager seat. I've never said that about a stock bike seat before. Ultimately I may end up with an Ultimate seat but I'm gonna try wearing out the original, first.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Added a 4th image to the original post showing how the backrest is mounted to the rear seat.

·
Registered
388 Posts
That sounds like the complete opposite of my Grasshopper seat

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've had Corbin with two oval back backrests, Mustang with backrests on my Kingpin, tried the Grasshoper on my VV but the best seat combo hands down is the Ultimate. I have all three pieces and it is flat out comfy for me and my passenger. Close to stock seating position but I find I rarely use the backrest as it has good lower back support as is. You need the passenger seat in order to have the backrest as the mount is tied to passenger seat. I use backrest on long rides as a change of pace.

gb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts