Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pulling out of the parking lot after having 2 commander 2's installed. I'm gently ridding the clutch while making a slow speed right turn. Well, stupid me has a brain fart and in the middle of blipping the throttle I let my fingers slip off of the clutch!! Well, let me tell you, new tires and wet pavement while dropping the clutch in a turn is not a good idea! Power slide to the left, over correct and now to the right, full brake and let the bike go over onto the left side as I calmly step off of it. Thankfully the bike did not go over and just rested on the rear crash bar and the front floorboard mount. Turned around, but against the saddle and properly righted the bike. To say I got lucky would be an understatement! I guess I'm just sharing my little mishap so people can either laugh at me(it's ok, I was laughing at myself for my stupid mental lapse) or maybe learn something. Either way, I'm looking forward to lots of safe miles with these new tires.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Not laughing, but always great to have a hiccup with out any serious dings. Except maybe pride in most people's cases

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Glad that turned out as good as it did for you. I backed mine out of the garage onto a sloping driveway and let it get in too much of a lean and I couldn't stop it from going all the way down. Saddlebag lid popped open. If you look close, you can see where the lid made contact with the driveway. I was really upset that I did that.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Glad you and the bike were not hurt.

Never understood the purpose of clipping the throttle. Care to explain?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two wheel, I learned to do my low speed riding from a video called "the friction zone" it's taught by a former Florida highway patrolman. You can either blip it slightly or hold it at a constant rpm while riding the clutch to keep a small amount of power to the rear wheel which in turn keeps the gyro affect in action which allows you to almost come to a complete stop and still keep the bike up. It makes low speed riding very easy minus my brain lapse the other day.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Moral of story:

New tires are slick, some more than others. Ride it like it hurts for 10 miles, then cut loose...

·
Registered
39 Posts
First thing you do after that is to look around and see if anybody seen you.... then brush if off like you meant to do that.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I ain't never done that..... that I would admit to that is...............

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Moral of story:

New tires are slick, some more than others. Ride it like it hurts for 10 miles, then cut loose...
Good advice. Got new tires last week. Picked up on Friday around 5 and a rainshower blew thru. I rode home like I was riding on a block of wet ice on a banana peel. Probably looked like a pvss but arrived intact.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine not that bad

I stopped on a slight incline (I was not paying attention) and put the kickstand down and got off. The bike just kept going down (some incline, some soft asphalt), but the guards held the bike up well.

Hope I never have to test it like you did!

Glad everything is OK.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just last friday i was pulling into the gas station and i waved to another biker goin the other way a bit too late that it delayed my downshift and braking and noticing a thick patch of gravel. Slid on that gravel like a motorcross rider in a 500lb bike. Somehow made it w/o grabbin the curb. Did hit the throttle boss and rev to kingdom come for all in the gas station to hear. Moped into the pump, put 3 gallons in and putted off like a dope. At home i checked the tire. Defiantly used all there was of the metzeler 888.

I ride in the winter in Ohio and dont have problems. But i ride like the road is made of banana peels. Too much comfort can be a bad thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts