Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious does anyone know what the dealers charge for oil changes on Voyagers? Mention if you are quoting a U.S. ir Canadian dealer.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
oil change

Up here in the great white north.... I let my local dealer do the first oil change at 1000klms. and they charged me $160 bucks but they put 5 liters of 10/40 S4 full synthetic oil in with filter. since then I change oil myself every 5000 klms using the same 10/40 S4 synthetic oil and oil filter for about $70 bucks CDN. it takes me about half an hour to change including cleaning up under the motor and frame. 24000 klms now and its all smiles per miles for me. 2015 vucan vaquero.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For the VN1600, I did the oil change by myself using high quality oil for 7,50€ / liter plus filter for 5€.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Up here in the great white north.... I let my local dealer do the first oil change at 1000klms. and they charged me $160 bucks but they put 5 liters of 10/40 S4 full synthetic oil in with filter. since then I change oil myself every 5000 klms using the same 10/40 S4 synthetic oil and oil filter for about $70 bucks CDN. it takes me about half an hour to change including cleaning up under the motor and frame. 24000 klms now and its all smiles per miles for me. 2015 vucan vaquero.
Yup,just what rozie said,70 bucks Diy ,1700 nomad,pretty easy bout 20 minutes:wink2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Soyarm or KawMan..Any links to DIY on Forum?? I'm looking to do my own 22.5K mile service...Squealer wants $450+ and then brakes and coolant flush ON TOP of that!! No way!! I have a 2012 VN1700CCF. Thanks for any help...Kevin

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got a shop manual on DVD from dealer that sold me a 2011. The service manager did that during the first or second interval. Didn’t go back after that.
At 24,000 Km’s I went for a stock k&n air filter.
Regular oil and filter changes.
Tapered roller steering head bearings take out “death wobble”. If going that route then do a
Fork oil change, possible fork spring change if you want.
Haven’t changed brake fluid or pads yet. Only when needed, maybe in a year or two.
Tires and oil changes biggest items so far.
There’s lots of info on this site, just need to get right search question or key words.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just did my first ever oil change on the Vaquero last Saturday. What a pain it was getting the stock oil filter off; that was the toughest, most stubborn oil filter I ever took off a motorcycle ever.

Of course none of the oil wrenches I had could loosen the filter, so I had to make two trips to the store to buy different ones. No go. Then I did the old "stab it with a screwdriver" and try to twist it off trick. No go. Finally got it off by stabbing it with a pair of locking pliers, WD40, scraped knuckles, and a lot of cursing.

Put on a new K&N oil filter, replaced the stock air filter with a K&N air filter, and filled her up with almost 5 quarts of pretty, new, clean 10W-40 motorcycle oil.

Now the oil light keeps flashing when I start her up. I haven't rode it yet or revved the engine, just in case. Ran out of daylight time to work on it, then it rained.

I'll take another look after Thanksgiving because I need to make sure I filled it up correctly before I attempt to pull the battery for winter storage in bike shed.

Any advice on the oil warning light or does it reset after pressure builds up? Or is it still thirsty? It looks full on the dipstick with the bike on kickstand with blocks underneath to make it level.

thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not trying to be a wise guy, but are you sure the light is warning of an oil problem? Look right above the light, is the oil indicator there on?
After I change the oil in mine, the light normally goes off in a few seconds, seconds that seem like hours!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I usually have all my work done for me by the dealership but now I'm trying to save money, learn, and do things for myself. I'll take any help and advice I can get

here's what the light looks like [I'm trying to attach a photo], and yes, it does go out after I start the bike (perhaps I've never noticed it before in the past; not sure if this is supposed to be on every time one goes to start the engine)

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Now the oil light keeps flashing when I start her up. I haven't rode it yet or revved the engine, just in case. Ran out of daylight time to work on it, then it rained.

Any advice on the oil warning light or does it reset after pressure builds up? Or is it still thirsty? It looks full on the dipstick with the bike on kickstand with blocks underneath to make it level.
Is it possible @Shade125 is experiencing an air pocket of some sort?

"Priming" the oil filter (pre-filling) on the bench, prior to install is a good habit. Fill it, watch the media suck the oil right up....do 2 or 3 "refills" and it'll be saturated and full... install and it'll turn that oil pressure light right off upon startup.

The associated, easily cleaned mess is worth the peace o' mind...IMHO. I do this priming with all my motorbikes, cars too.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Start bike up and open oil cap slowly just a hair to vent, there may be a bubble in the system. Check wiring to oil pressure switch

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate the help, suggestions and comments.

After researching it more and looking at Vaquero videos online, I've concluded that it's normal for the oil pressure indicator light above the red light to be on when turning the ignition switch to on while the engine is not running (page 35 of Owner's Manual). It turns off when the engine is started because engine oil pressure is high enough.

I'm not dumb, just learning. I'm glad this is done, I did it myself, and I learned and saved money. Now I just have to pull the battery, figure out how to work the battery tender, cover the exhausts pipes so no critters try to nest inside, and cover her up before she's put in shed for winter. Wish I lived somewhere where I could ride year round.

Love my Vaquero; definitely want to have these upgrades done in this order: bigger speakers, add an amplifier, get an Ivan ECU flash and aftermarket exhaust, add the Kawasaki auxiliary driving light set, and passenger floorboards.

This Vaquero rocks, probably my favorite bike I've ever owned.

·
Registered
71 Posts
shade 125; thats how its supposed to work. all is fine. light will go out after engine is started and after an oil and filter change it will stay on for 1 or 2 seconds longer until the oil filter gets filled up. also the ABS light will stay on until you start rolling in first gear then will go out after 1 or 2 miles per hour.

Reactions: Shade125
1 - 16 of 16 Posts