Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I noticed this last season before putting the bike away for the winter, waking up the beast today I was wondering how/why this happened to the engine? Did it happen with anyone else and any tips on how to clean it off?

As you can see it’s on the lines portion of the engine, and then on the 2 circle parts below the engine. I don’t have any leaks happening either so I’m stumped as to why this even happened.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I seen a Honda bike from Florida and it had what this looks like on the chrome. It was due to the salt in the air from the ocean and it corroded. I'm not saying this is that, but looks kinda like it.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Is the bike parked somewhere that stays damp and/or humid? I had a bit of this on the cooling fins (like your first pic) and rust developing on the chain when I used to park in my shed, which would hold water after a good rain. It was my main reason for my living room becoming a garage.

I don't remember using anything fancy to clean it off though, just some Dawn and elbow grease.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the bike parked somewhere that stays damp and/or humid? I had a bit of this on the cooling fins (like your first pic) and rust developing on the chain when I used to park in my shed, which would hold water after a good rain. It was my main reason for my living room becoming a garage.

I don't remember using anything fancy to clean it off though, just some Dawn and elbow grease.
During the summer it's parked on the street but always covered when not in use, winter I put it in my backyard (still outdoors but covered) I'll double check the chain but I think that's fine since it never stood out to me.

Do they salt the roads in your area in winter when it snows?
Yes they do but when winter comes, the bike is off the streets so I cna't see that affecting it.

I seen a Honda bike from Florida and it had what this looks like on the chrome. It was due to the salt in the air from the ocean and it corroded. I'm not saying this is that, but looks kinda like it.
Copy, I live in NY so definitely can't be salt for me since I'm not by the ocean lol.

I'll try some Dawn and elbow grease like KeepRiidin suggested, someone also suggested to try and use corroborator to clean it off, will that damage the engine? Are those pieces aluminum?

·
Registered
653 Posts
During the summer it's parked on the street but always covered when not in use, winter I put it in my backyard (still outdoors but covered) I'll double check the chain but I think that's fine since it never stood out to me.

Yes they do but when winter comes, the bike is off the streets so I cna't see that affecting it.

Copy, I live in NY so definitely can't be salt for me since I'm not by the ocean lol.

I'll try some Dawn and elbow grease like KeepRiidin suggested, someone also suggested to try and use corroborator to clean it off, will that damage the engine? Are those pieces aluminum?
Well, you seem to know it all. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Same thing all over the engine and surrounding areas on my garage kept 2012 Vulcan 900 Custom. Black paint is coming right off with it. Going to try some of the suggestions elsewhere in this thread, as its also showing up on the black wheels too. :crying2:

I didn't ride it very much last year, but it was a very damp and humid season so I'm guessing not giving it the usual cleaning/waxing treatment I normally do caught up with me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine did the same. Lightly scrubbing off the corrosion then putting wax on it fixed the problem. The wax doesn't seem bothered by the heat at all, though I reapply it whenever I wax the paint. A friend of mine used high heat clear coat sprayed onto a rag and applied it. That fixed the issue for him

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was worried about this as winter is coming and storage season will soon take over riding season. I looked up some different storage tips and found someone recommended spraying chrome/stainless/other non painted metals with some sort of oil, such as silicone oil, to put a barrier of protection form moisture while your bike sits over winter months.
I ended up spraying a small amount of pj1 blue label chain grease on an old rag and wiped it on the stainless bits of the engine as it thickens and I don't have to worry about it getting runny when in rain. So far it has been about three weeks and it hasn't picked up any noticeable amount of dirt and should keep it from corroding.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Once you do get your bike clean, here's a useful vid I found for comparing anti-corrosion products and offers highly OCD guidance (my kinda guy) for prepping your bike for winter storage. More than half of it is about cleaning but the anti-corrosion part starts at 13:25.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I stored my bike inside a garage over the Winter season. I usually cleaned the bike and waxed what was needed and oil/lubed what was required. I used a bike cover also.
But as for coating sprays and such, they just make a big mess to clean up later and most definitely collect more dust/dirt with moisture. So I kept that to the bare minimum.
Keep it clean and keep it covered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts