Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

It seems like the forum favorite is the Mustang Wide touring seat, or the Russel Day-Long.

What about the Corbin dual tour with backrest? Any opinions? Better/worse than the Mustang? The reason I ask is because the Harley guys seem to really prefer Corbin over Mustang, not sure if that's because the Corbins just fit the hogs better, or what, but most I talk to (and read on forums) say Corbin wins. If I'm gonna drop $500+ on a seat... I'm gonna get the best one I can get!

I DO NOT care about looks. They both look just fine to me. I ride my bike, I don't stare at it. What's the best one to ride on for long trips?

-John

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Your seat is gonna be your preference, TBH. Might as well ask what their favorite oil is too! ;) I'd say find some folks near with different styles and see if they'll let ya sit on it a moment?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was hoping to get a general idea comparison from people who have ridden them.

The problem with sitting on a seat is that tells you less than nothing divided by two. Jack squat. My stock seat is super comfy if you just sit on it. But... 20 minutes later you'll be figuring out how to ride on the handlebars. So, since I can't borrow a mustang for a day and then a corbin for a day, the best I can do is ask you guys!

It's funny. I actually sat on the bike at the dealer and was really impressed with how comfy it was. Dang, start riding it, the story changes. Maybe that's why they do it... make it a seat that looks and feels great in the show room...

-John

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if you're gonna talk Corbin and Russell, IMO the Russell wins hands down. And the Corbin is more expensive. Then again, it all depends on your shape. If you have a Corbin butt, I understand it's the way to go. But that's the beauty of the Russell; they can make it fit you no matter what your shape. I love my Russell.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Its one of those things, unfortunately, that we can not test for a couple of hours before shelling out $400 plus dollars. I like my Mustang ... for me ... and her. Having said that, the Saddleman Solo Renegade on my custom is no less comfortable at half the price. (then again, its half a seat). I do agree, its a personal thing and i have tried no other brands.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
John,
Have sat on Corbin but never owned one... hard as a rock IMHO. I cannot beleive if you are looking for long ride comfort that corbin is the ticket.
I have been active on this kind of forum for 6 years now and seen many many unhappy Mustang owners...often trying to sell a "like new" seat so they can get something else. I have seen a few unhappy corbin owners.... but never have I seen an unhappy Russell owner....nor have I seen an unhappy Ultimate owner.
The russell seat may not look sleek and sexy...but boy does it work for long rides.

and "no"... I get no commission from Russell... LOL

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have had two Corbin seats now (2 different bikes) and have enjoyed both. I would not have bought the second one if I did not like the comfort. As far as long distance riding and comfort it's designed to better support your backside and lower back with firmer foam. Rode 250 miles today, no issues with comfort. I will tell you plan on about 100 miles at first to break in the saddle. After that it's all yours.

·
Banned
334 Posts
I've had Mustang seats on 3 different bikes now, and every one has allowed me to ride all day long with no discomfort.

My son has a Corbin on his Suzuki, and it's a very hard seat. The shape is a huge improvement over the stocker, but a little softer padding would be nice.

I've never tried a Russell. I'm sure they're really comfortable, but they are without a doubt the ugliest seats I have ever seen.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have to agree with you siriusjoe, the Russell seat is a ugly seat and it comes with a ugly price.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to agree with you siriusjoe, the Russell seat is a ugly seat and it comes with a ugly price.
I definitely like the looks of the mustang better but I ride alot. I want the most comfortable, not necessarily the best lookin' :cool:

They sure are pricey though...

·
Megatron
181 Posts
Not to add any confusion to your deliberations but you might want to also consider an Ultimate Seat. When I get on the bike to ride it usually entails at least three hours in the saddle, more often than not five hours or better. I've put over 17000 miles on my bike in two seasons. The Ultimate Seat has turned my bike from a Kawasaki to a Couch-a-saki. I think it would be hard to find a more comfortable seat than the Ultimate. Although I've never owned a Corbin or a Mustang.
I hope whichever you decide to buy its the right one for you.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I definitely like the looks of the mustang better but I ride alot. I want the most comfortable, not necessarily the best lookin' :cool:

They sure are pricey though...
I would bet the Russell seat is the most comfortable, but I got the Mustang off ebay for about $374 and thats about half the cost of the Russell seat. I and the wife really like the Mustang seat, we like it so much that I just ordered the wide Mustang sissy bar pad to match the seat. I don't know if it will add any more comfort to her back but I hope it adds a nice new look to the bike.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not to add any confusion to your deliberations but you might want to also consider an Ultimate Seat. When I get on the bike to ride it usually entails at least three hours in the saddle, more often than not five hours or better. I've put over 17000 miles on my bike in two seasons. The Ultimate Seat has turned my bike from a Kawasaki to a Couch-a-saki. I think it would be hard to find a more comfortable seat than the Ultimate. Although I've never owned a Corbin or a Mustang.
I hope whichever you decide to buy its the right one for you.
The Ultimate seat looks like a nice seat and it looks like it has more padding than the Mustang. I think they resemble each other alot, if I didn't already have a Mustang I would have considered the Ultimate.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Update: Just got my Mustang vintage this weekend. 1st ride was awkward as it's definitely a new riding position. It encourages you to sit a bit more upright, and it moves you forward and up a bit. Some say 1" forward, 1" up, but it actually feels like more, more like 1.5" or 2". The oddest part is getting used to less seat in front of me, as I tended to settle toward the very rear of the stocker. The 1st 10 minute test ride (between showers) didn't do much other than hint at the possible increase in comfort, but the next day I got a chance to put in a couple of hours, and there is a definite improvement over the stock seat! The most noticeable difference for me was in going over bumps and different rough patches in the road. I keep the shock at a stiffer setting as I tend to ride 2-up just as often as solo, and I don't want to mess with the shock settings every other day. That meant, when riding solo, I get a much stiffer ride and bounce around a little more. You get used to it, but MAN what a difference with the Mustang seat! The shock setting is still the same, but over those familiar rough patches it is now so much smoother. Instead of bouncing with the bike, I now notice the "ease" into the seat and experience a much smoother ride than before. Plus, as an added benefit for me (6'4", 250lbs, but with only a 32" inseam), it changes my leg position just enough to stop my legs/knees from deflecting wind directly up under my chin! BONUS!

The wife's option puts her around 2" higher too, but is MUCH wider and more heavily padded than the stock seat, so she's already in love!

For the record, I never complained about the stock seat, as I could put in a full day with nothing more than the standard riding "stiffness" from staying in the same position all day, but for the difference in the feel of the ride, and a bit LESS stiffness after yesterday's trip, I think it's worth the bargain price I found mine for. ;)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Update: Just got my Mustang vintage this weekend. 1st ride was awkward as it's definitely a new riding position. It encourages you to sit a bit more upright, and it moves you forward and up a bit. Some say 1" forward, 1" up, but it actually feels like more, more like 1.5" or 2". The oddest part is getting used to less seat in front of me, as I tended to settle toward the very rear of the stocker. The 1st 10 minute test ride (between showers) didn't do much other than hint at the possible increase in comfort, but the next day I got a chance to put in a couple of hours, and there is a definite improvement over the stock seat! The most noticeable difference for me was in going over bumps and different rough patches in the road. I keep the shock at a stiffer setting as I tend to ride 2-up just as often as solo, and I don't want to mess with the shock settings every other day. That meant, when riding solo, I get a much stiffer ride and bounce around a little more. You get used to it, but MAN what a difference with the Mustang seat! The shock setting is still the same, but over those familiar rough patches it is now so much smoother. Instead of bouncing with the bike, I now notice the "ease" into the seat and experience a much smoother ride than before. Plus, as an added benefit for me (6'4", 250lbs, but with only a 32" inseam), it changes my leg position just enough to stop my legs/knees from deflecting wind directly up under my chin! BONUS!

The wife's option puts her around 2" higher too, but is MUCH wider and more heavily padded than the stock seat, so she's already in love!

For the record, I never complained about the stock seat, as I could put in a full day with nothing more than the standard riding "stiffness" from staying in the same position all day, but for the difference in the feel of the ride, and a bit LESS stiffness after yesterday's trip, I think it's worth the bargain price I found mine for. ;)
Took my wife about a block to fall in love with the seat, she asked me why I didn't talk her into letting me get the seat sooner. Because hun...your a pain in the ass when it comes to parting with money. lol! The seat breaks in fast give your seat about 5-6 hundred miles to break in and you'll have more comfort.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I just checked the Russell website ( www.day-long.com) and the basic, alll-vinyl dual Russell Daylong saddle is $555.00. Compare that to the Mustang and you'll find that they're about the same price. Makes the price of a Russell not quite so ugly.

As for the looks, well, the Russell isn't quite as sleek as some seats, but when it's made for you, it's definitely more functional. A Mustang is a "one size fits all" seat. Unfortunately, "all" don't necessarily fit the one. For me, the Mustang was an improvement over the stock seat, but wasn't there for long distance comfort. My butt would start to burn after about 30 minutes or so, and would leave me squirming in the seat, trying to change my position, constantly. Don't have that with the Russell. Besides, when you're riding, you don't see the seat, anyway, and I don't care what anyone else thinks about how it looks. My comfort is the paramount issue.

In comparing the seats, I've had Corbins before. On one bike, it was very comfortable. On the other it was terrible. A friend loaned me her Corbin to try out on an ST1300 I owned, and the thing was like sitting on a slab of wood! I have had 2 Saddleman (Travelcade) seats on Gold Wings and both were horrible. I'd never own one again. I had a Sargent seat on a VStrom and liked that seat a lot, but the Mustang I had on my Nomad didn't agree with me. The only seat I've been truly satisfied with has been the Russell, and I've had several of them on different motorcycles. The fact that they are crafted to fit YOU is the key issue and reason they are so comfortable. Basically it's a function over form thing. Once you've had one for awhile, you get used to its looks and don't pay any attention to it. Especially at the end of the day.

Romans 5.8--hope that helps with the comparison thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts