Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
paid for the corbin seat on 2/15, it arrived today - i never received a tracking number or confirmation email. They had my name spelled wrong, probably had my email wrong as well - but they got the credit card and shipping info right!

seat feels great! it's light weight and strong

doesn't feel hard to me at all! only sat on the bike for a few minutes and made the block (while on lunch) but it's great

now for the problem

there is a nick or tear at the very point of the passenger section...you can see white thread or foam or something there and it sticks out like a sore thumb...I wasn't able to get them on the phone but did turn in a "customer service ticket" or whatever on thier website...I am very dissappointed!

I have my annual ride to the Ozarks in Arkansas april 17 and fear they will want me to return the seat for that portion of the cover to be repaired - and i don't want or need the down time...they shouldn't have let this seat make it out of qc ...they should have fixed it right away and then shipped it...this is a load of crap

pics

I will keep ya'll updated

·
Registered
364 Posts
It really is a shame to receive damaged items when they cost so much to begin with.

However, that looks like impact damage from shipping. That end could have slammed into the end of the box. If you kept the box, you most likely will see that the corrugated cardboard is flattened in that spot and the plastic wrap is abraded.

I doubt very much that such damage would have been present during Corbin's Q.C. process. Did you purchase direct from Corbin or from a distributor?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It really is a shame to receive damaged items when they cost so much to begin with.

However, that looks like impact damage from shipping. That end could have slammed into the end of the box. If you kept the box, you most likely will see that the corrugated cardboard is flattened in that spot and the plastic wrap is abraded.

I doubt very much that such damage would have been present during Corbin's Q.C. process. Did you purchase direct from Corbin or from a distributor?
purchased direct from corbin, box looks perfect. it was wrapped in thick tape and heavy duty plastic and this form fitting foam stuff was shoved all over it. I am 99.99% sure that it wasn't shipping damage

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow that's crazy. When I received my Corbin it had no tears or marks at all. I wonder if that did get damaged somehow during packaging or shipping....I would definitely get to the bottom of that. I'm glad it feels good and doesn't feel hard to you..Hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying mine.. Also they sent me a tracking number and email confirmation for UPS when they shipped it

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have the dual tour; but mine was packed with nose and tail padded up in expansion foam.
No way it could get damaged in shipping.

My experience with customer service was overall good; but slow.

I wouldn't wait to contact them with the pics; but April 17 might be pretty short for a return time.

Scott

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow that's crazy. When I received my Corbin it had no tears or marks at all. I wonder if that did get damaged somehow during packaging or shipping....I would definitely get to the bottom of that. I'm glad it feels good and doesn't feel hard to you..Hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying mine.. Also they sent me a tracking number and email confirmation for UPS when they shipped it
yeah, the only thing i noticed this morning on the way to work - it's a little wider, and farther back...maybe a little lower than stock all these things lead to a little less foot on the ground at stop...unless i readjust, then its about the same...and city riding when i have to stop often it kind of wears at my hip joints...but on the road it feels great, specially when i give it some throttle...really feel secure now ...i think ill get used to it and it will break in just fine....

the leather really feels fantastic and I can't believe ive been sitting on vinyl all these years

I have the dual tour; but mine was packed with nose and tail padded up in expansion foam.
No way it could get damaged in shipping.

My experience with customer service was overall good; but slow.

I wouldn't wait to contact them with the pics; but April 17 might be pretty short for a return time.

Scott
I am pretty nervous about that turnaround time myself...yeah I'm with you Scott...it wasn't shipping, but could have been during packaging or something...bottom line - this seam will tear if it isn't fixed...maybe they will send me a new seat and i can send this one back to them when i receive it

·
Registered
204 Posts
yeah, the only thing i noticed this morning on the way to work - it's a little wider, and farther back...maybe a little lower than stock all these things lead to a little less foot on the ground at stop...unless i readjust, then its about the same...and city riding when i have to stop often it kind of wears at my hip joints...but on the road it feels great, specially when i give it some throttle...really feel secure now ...i think ill get used to it and it will break in just fine....

the leather really feels fantastic and I can't believe ive been sitting on vinyl all these years

I am pretty nervous about that turnaround time myself...yeah I'm with you Scott...it wasn't shipping, but could have been during packaging or something...bottom line - this seam will tear if it isn't fixed...maybe they will send me a new seat and i can send this one back to them when i receive it
I am waiting for a response to some questions I sent to Corbin about this seat. Sorry to hear about the damage to yours though. I hope they resolve it quickly for you. Let us know how the comfort is after riding for a bit longer. Which materials did you select for the sides and back of the seat? It looks great on your bike!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am waiting for a response to some questions I sent to Corbin about this seat. Sorry to hear about the damage to yours though. I hope they resolve it quickly for you. Let us know how the comfort is after riding for a bit longer. Which materials did you select for the sides and back of the seat? It looks great on your bike!
all black leather, no welts, no special stitching or whatever...no vinyl just all leather

put about 50 miles on it today, no pressure points, no discomfort when im actually moving...coming to a stop or walking it around the garage is gonna take some getting used to since it's wider and has "hips" but that's no biggie...

ill try to put some more miles on it this weekend, got my phat risers in from scoot works and hoping they put the bars in a better place for me while allowing the use of my klockwerks shield....

gotta sand and repaint the tank panel, put a vinyl decal on the left saddlebag, install my custom "chucksterscustom" left side plate and replace the spark plugs this weekend...so hopefully all goes well and i can get the bike on the road

·
Registered
204 Posts
all black leather, no welts, no special stitching or whatever...no vinyl just all leather

put about 50 miles on it today, no pressure points, no discomfort when im actually moving...coming to a stop or walking it around the garage is gonna take some getting used to since it's wider and has "hips" but that's no biggie...

ill try to put some more miles on it this weekend, got my phat risers in from scoot works and hoping they put the bars in a better place for me while allowing the use of my klockwerks shield....

gotta sand and repaint the tank panel, put a vinyl decal on the left saddlebag, install my custom "chucksterscustom" left side plate and replace the spark plugs this weekend...so hopefully all goes well and i can get the bike on the road
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'll add my two cents about my Corbin. Like yours, mine was not right. I ordered studs, one of which fell off when I unpacked it. There is a big wrinkle in the material only on one side. Was hoping maybe it would relax after time but no. I also paid extra for the backrest. The hole that you put the screw through to secure the backrest was not drilled correctly, meaning I couldn't secure the back rest without honing out the seat, which def made me upset. And even after carefully honing out the area for the screw, the threads on the backrest were painted over before shipping and so when I finally did get the screw to line up, it got cross threaded because of the paint material inside the threads.
And to literally add injury to insult - I can't ride more than 30 mins without a sore ass.
All I can say is quality control has gone to hell at Corbin. This is my third and last seat from them. It's going back to them for a new stud and a re-shape. That seat was way too expensive to arrive like that.

Rant over - just trying to help you feel a little better about yours, mine was worse. I'm sure they'll fix yours.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'll add my two cents about my Corbin. Like yours, mine was not right. I ordered studs, one of which fell off when I unpacked it. There is a big wrinkle in the material only on one side. Was hoping maybe it would relax after time but no. I also paid extra for the backrest. The hole that you put the screw through to secure the backrest was not drilled correctly, meaning I couldn't secure the back rest without honing out the seat, which def made me upset. And even after carefully honing out the area for the screw, the threads on the backrest were painted over before shipping and so when I finally did get the screw to line up, it got cross threaded because of the paint material inside the threads.
And to literally add injury to insult - I can't ride more than 30 mins without a sore ass.
All I can say is quality control has gone to hell at Corbin. This is my third and last seat from them. It's going back to them for a new stud and a re-shape. That seat was way too expensive to arrive like that.

Rant over - just trying to help you feel a little better about yours, mine was worse. I'm sure they'll fix yours.
That is very disappointing to hear. I have a friend with a Corbin solo on his Harley and he loves it. I really like the look of the young guns seat that Corbin makes for the Vaquero. I do some very long days riding, so comfort is a major issue for me. I also don't want to be moved back further or I'll then be looking for risers. Have to keep doing some research.........

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is very disappointing to hear. I have a friend with a Corbin solo on his Harley and he loves it. I really like the look of the young guns seat that Corbin makes for the Vaquero. I do some very long days riding, so comfort is a major issue for me. I also don't want to be moved back further or I'll then be looking for risers. Have to keep doing some research.........
you would be fine with stock bars and the young guns seat

it was a huge reach for me due to the bars i have

·
Registered
204 Posts

Just wondering if you had the time to put some more miles on this seat and if you feel good about the comfort level? How much further back did it put you? I'd really like to avoid getting risers, but if I'm moved back much at all, it is probably going to be necessary. Do you find that you get a little bit of support for your lower back? Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just wondering if you had the time to put some more miles on this seat and if you feel good about the comfort level? How much further back did it put you? I'd really like to avoid getting risers, but if I'm moved back much at all, it is probably going to be necessary. Do you find that you get a little bit of support for your lower back? Thanks for your feedback!
well bad news...the 'ol lady got her tits done last week and is still in considerable pain...we had a club function about 2 hours away in shreveport sunday and that would have been a great ride to test comfort but she wanted to go and i drove her and another bro there in the car.

I have made several more < 1hr trips and it feels great. The seat sits you back, the bars/risers sit me up...now sitting upright is much better for your lower back and shoulders - but it has made the bike more of a cruiser [less sporty] that is comfortable (obviously 13" apes and 4" risers wouldn't make sense on a sport bike) I can't comment on the corbin and stock bars because I already installed the Roaring Toyz bars before the seat was delivereed. The combo I have sits me up and back....the seat does keep me stable during hard acceleration thanks to the lower back support andfeels great.

I think I need to adjust my rear shocks though, either not enough air or dampening or something - i know its based on load, riding style and personal preference but I wish there was some sort of guide for adjusting the shocks...I need them to equal out for me...seems like they either bounce me all over the road or give too easy, specially in hard cornering or acceleration....

because of the changes I have made when i am accelerating hard or cornering hard it feels like i am only riding on the rear wheel, and when i rellay romp on it the front wheel comes off the ground, also hard braking is a little awkward with apes (but thats to be expected, no leverage when your wrist is perpendicular to the grip)

these changes definitely affected the bike in a huge way, center of gravity is lower and farther back, the pivot/grip point is much higher and a little farther forward or closer towards me depending on how i adjust the bars. High speed manuvering takes a little more finesse, highway riding is great, parking lot manuvers are tricky, lots more leverage in the bars but due to the angle of my wrist seems more difficult to keep the bars from going to full lock, the seat being lower helps center of gravity but the ridgidity and width of the seat hurts my reach a little...

it looks great and is 100% more comfortable, but for a guy that was 1st to every stoplight and probably road the bike pretty close to its limits in the twisties it is taking some getting used to

my lower back, kidneys, neck and shoulders love it though

·
Registered
213 Posts
well bad news...the 'ol lady got her tits done last week and is still in considerable pain...we had a club function about 2 hours away in shreveport sunday and that would have been a great ride to test comfort but she wanted to go and i drove her and another bro there in the car.

I have made several more < 1hr trips and it feels great. The seat sits you back, the bars/risers sit me up...now sitting upright is much better for your lower back and shoulders - but it has made the bike more of a cruiser [less sporty] that is comfortable (obviously 13" apes and 4" risers wouldn't make sense on a sport bike) I can't comment on the corbin and stock bars because I already installed the Roaring Toyz bars before the seat was delivereed. The combo I have sits me up and back....the seat does keep me stable during hard acceleration thanks to the lower back support andfeels great.

I think I need to adjust my rear shocks though, either not enough air or dampening or something - i know its based on load, riding style and personal preference but I wish there was some sort of guide for adjusting the shocks...I need them to equal out for me...seems like they either bounce me all over the road or give too easy, specially in hard cornering or acceleration....

because of the changes I have made when i am accelerating hard or cornering hard it feels like i am only riding on the rear wheel, and when i rellay romp on it the front wheel comes off the ground, also hard braking is a little awkward with apes (but thats to be expected, no leverage when your wrist is perpendicular to the grip)

these changes definitely affected the bike in a huge way, center of gravity is lower and farther back, the pivot/grip point is much higher and a little farther forward or closer towards me depending on how i adjust the bars. High speed manuvering takes a little more finesse, highway riding is great, parking lot manuvers are tricky, lots more leverage in the bars but due to the angle of my wrist seems more difficult to keep the bars from going to full lock, the seat being lower helps center of gravity but the ridgidity and width of the seat hurts my reach a little...

it looks great and is 100% more comfortable, but for a guy that was 1st to every stoplight and probably road the bike pretty close to its limits in the twisties it is taking some getting used to

my lower back, kidneys, neck and shoulders love it though
Got any pics?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts