Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I've only been riding a few months and only about 150 miles so far. The few times I see other riders on the road, most have given me a friendly little wave, and I tried to wave back if my hands weren't busy, and give a nod if they were. So today I was riding around town and saw a bike coming on the other side of the road. My left hand went up for a wave, then stopped when I realized that it was a police cruiser. No big deal. I'm just being friendly. But I'm wondering what's the common etiquette with police cruisers. Should I wave?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
When I see the highway patrol on their bikes I wave and they wave back. Can't see any reason why not, they're out there on two wheels havin' a good time and dodging idiot cages just like I am! Same reason I wave to everyone else.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
My eyes aren't what they used to be, well okay, they never were very good, but I don't ususally realize its a cop until I've already waved and almost passed by them.
I have waved to cops a few times and they never waved back. I think it is fine, shows some camaraderie and there isn't a law against it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I live in Germany, and was surprised the other day when a German police bike waved. Especially because Germans tend for sport tourers, as opposed to cruisers with noisy pipes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Why not wave? Cops are people too. Maybe Im a little biased cause I was one for 27 years.:D
Riders have to have their head on a swivel looking for all the hazards while riding. Police bikes have the same hazards, along with actively looking for violators and monitoring the police radio which is usually going nonstop, so their attention is usually split in multiple directions. Maybe they're responding to a call and while enroute, they're thinking of specifics for when they arrive as to the course of action they might have to take. We're taught to think things out before arrival to a call. It could save a life.
If they don't wave, maybe they're just too occupied otherwise to notice. Then maybe not. There are all kinds (back to "cops are people too") and some can be Aholes just like the general population, but those are not the general rule.:cool:

·
Registered
345 Posts
OK. I've only been riding a few months and only about 150 miles so far. The few times I see other riders on the road, most have given me a friendly little wave, and I tried to wave back if my hands weren't busy, and give a nod if they were. So today I was riding around town and saw a bike coming on the other side of the road. My left hand went up for a wave, then stopped when I realized that it was a police cruiser. No big deal. I'm just being friendly. But I'm wondering what's the common etiquette with police cruisers. Should I wave?
They are regular guys and gals who enjoy riding just like we do - give them a wave. If you think motor officers aren't bikers too, then you have never been around any members of the Enforcers MC:))

·
Registered
894 Posts
When you wave - just make sure to wave with all five fingers . . . well - at least wave with two as a minimum . . .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well It all depends on the law enforcement in your area IMO. I'm in a MC and I wear my cut everytime I get on the bike..... In my local area I get pulled over min of once a week because they want to screw with me and show me they are there. Where my club is out of the police like us, I never get pulled over, They wave at us.

So in my area I wave with one finger.... where my chapter is I wave and sometimes have very nice conversations if I see them somewhere

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wave to them. They almost always wave back. I've even had motor cops sitting by the road with radar guns in one hand wave friendly with the other... 'course I'm going legal speed.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents I wave at them all whether they 're a cage or motor it's my way of saying thanks for their service , it's a tough job and highly underpaid any way that's my 2 cents/ by the way if there 's any law enforsement on this site active or retired THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE......

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have police on cruisers in the city I work in and I wave to them everytime I see them. Of course, to be fair, I work Emergency Services and work closely with these guys. I also pass one on the interstate almost daily on my way to and from work. He rides a Hayabusa for a patrol bike (interstate intercepts) and I wave to him as well every single day. I have yet to have one not wave back but if they did not I would assume it was simply because they were preoccupied.

It's the ride and the smiles folks not the profession. :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Lots of people find reasons not to wave. You are, or are not wearing a helmet, you're riding a metric, or you're riding a Harley, your shoe size is not within their preferred range..you name it.

Get over it is all I have to say to those people LOL. Ride your ride and take time to enjoy the other folks who are out there ridin' with ya.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I agree with waving at cops. If you're not doing anything wrong, they're not going to give you a hard time. Plus, when some jerk door checks you while you're lane splitting because "If I have to wait in traffic, so should he!", the cops are going to be on scene.

I'd reckon 97% of riders I pass/see wave back to me. There's a lot of Harley riders around here, but also a lot of street/trail bikes the rednecks ride up in the mountains, as well as sport bikes that the college kids zip around on. We all get along well enough, since there is so much variety. If someone is offering to be your ally, there's no point in refusing because you don't like how they look.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Waving at cops!

I'm a PT Aux. cop. We do a lot of parades, and traffic for a number of bike rides each year. I ALWAYS give the "Wave" at the bikes and simply enjoy the shocked faces on a number of the bikers! We're people too and you might just be surprised how many of us ride. In my Aux. Battalion we have around 60 officers and 23 of us ride. So WAVE! Especially in the SW suburbs of Chicago. You never know, it just might be me waving back!

·
Registered
312 Posts
No bike cops around here, but I have recently had two different LOE's in patrol cars wave at me... thought it was strange and was so surprised really didn't have time to wave back

·
Registered
754 Posts
just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents I wave at them all whether they 're a cage or motor it's my way of saying thanks for their service , it's a tough job and highly underpaid any way that's my 2 cents/ by the way if there 's any law enforsement on this site active or retired THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE......
you're welcome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
And you wonder why they keep messin' with you?
Nope I know why they mess with me. It was a good year of getting pulled over before I started be rude back. I have a great deal of respect for the job they do. But here they focus too much on profiling people and not enough on what's going on around them. Recently I went to a big event that had quite a few clubs show up, their were 8 police cars sitting out front. And pulled over almost every club that pulled in.

I'm sure everyone of those people provoked them.....

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,912 Posts
I wave at cops all the time, be they on bikes or be they in cars... and me on my bike or me in my car.

I almost always get a wave back. Cops are people also..

·
Registered
702 Posts
I wave at cops all the time, be they on bikes or be they in cars... and me on my bike or me in my car.

I almost always get a wave back. Cops are people also..
I could be out front on the porch having a :sigarette: and I'll wave the officer patroling the neighborhood. Like I said before, if you're not doing anything wrong, there's no need to be skiddish around them.

I used to work overnight at a gas station right across the street from a police station. Almost every night, but especially on Friday and Saturday nights, four township cops would stop in, drink coffee, get a bite, and shoot the bull with each other. It got to the point where I knew to start a pot of their favorite coffee when I saw the first interceptor pull in. I must say, their presence probably stopped a good number of drunken idiots from coming through those doors.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts