Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new here. I just bought my 87 Vulcan 750 a couple of months ago. It is the first liquid cooled bike I've ever owned, and I get a bit concerned every time I ride it. My biggest concern is the temp gauge. To me, it seems that its running a little high when it gets to operating temp(after about 15-20 mins of riding). The needle is right around the middle of the gauge, which, like I said, seems too high. Is this normal, or should I be worried? Also, after I've been riding for a while, and I get stuck in traffic, the needle starts rising pretty high, almost maxing out the gauge. Is this just a manufacture flaw? I mean that would make sense, because that fan is quite small, and when I'm idling there is almost no airflow. Once I get moving again, the needle goes back down to the middle of the gauge. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I really like this bike and would hate to find out there are major problems.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Does the fan ever come on?
Does the coolant recovery bottle have any coolant in it?
Does it ever spill collant out on the ground?

Post back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fan does kick on when im idling, it has plenty of coolant(I've burped it multiple times to make sure), and it leaks a little bit of coolant, but I know what it's from. One of the hoses of the gooseneck vibrates lose so I have to retighten once a week or so. When I bought the bike, the radiator had a crack in it, so I replaced it, along with a new thermostat, so I know it's flowing coolant. Other than that, there aren't any problems I can see other than my concerns listed in the original post.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
One problem is that if you have a leak, the cooling system will not build pressure and could cause an overheat situation. The best plan would be to repair that problem.
I am not sure why it should be necessary to "burp" often.
Could you explain what you do and why it is necessary.

Post back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well first of all, I didn't say that I burp it often, I said that I've done it more than once, each time being when I fix something and have to refill the coolant. As far as the coolant leaking and preventing pressure build up, like I said, there are no leaks anywhere. Besides, the bike isn't over-heating, I was just concerned about where the needle should be on the temp gauge when it's at operating temp, and why it tends to heat up when I'm idling. I've done some more research and I've found that the oem plastic fans are p.o.s.'s. Apparently they don't pull enough air through the radiator while idling. Everyone seems to upgrade to aluminum fans instead. Any input on that and where the needle should be is really all I'm looking for.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm to hot, I'm to cold!!!

Hi Newbie;
My VN 750 runs cold. I've ridden for well over 30 min. Up and Down hills. Let me tell ya, I bust my chops waiting and waiting and waiting for that darn needle to move. Just a bit plus a quick shout out to God. Finally, it did move.
I do know that these mean machines run high on the RPM's and like to be ran hard.
One crazy thought here. Your thermostat maybe staying open longer than necessary or never closing once opened. My apologies if you've stated this in your post as I may have forgotten if you did or not. It sounds like your bike is running tight. One would think that high RPM's & high temps would go hand in hand with this bike. So now that your running hot and I'm running cold. Maybe it's my bike that has a problem!!! I'm sure cooler heads will prevail and give me the joy of a world class answer. VN750 peps, don't fail me now.
Thank you
Ray
[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
you should try flushing the radiator and put some new coolent in it.and have you service the bike since you got it

·
Registered
5 Posts
new owner vulcan 2000 / no owners manual / where is coolant loaded & where is ?dipstick or indicator to show what correct amount-level is good?

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
It would be best if you started your own thread in the 2000 section. Also, you cannot do basic items without an owners manual. They are available at dealers and online. I would recommend that you purchase one. It will answer the questions that you have plus many more.

·
Banned
21 Posts
the needle when idling around town is normally just a bit higher than the middle of the gauge. I don't think you are having a problem at all... for those of you that are running cooler than this, you do have a problem... either with the sending unit, or your cooling system. I was running cold all the time, and found out that my surge tank lines were clogged, once I got this issue fixed I started running at normal temps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A shoot in the dark

Hi ketchup58;

Here goes. In general with concerns to any liquid cooled engine. The half way point is about right. A little over or a little under, no big deal. Now if it pegs the red zone in 20 to 30 minutes. That's not good. Any time I have this problem. It tells me right off that the coolant isn't being transported around the engine. Your job is to fine out why. I can see why it cools off when you start moving again..it's being air cooled.
Now for the stupid talk.....could it be possible that the newly installed thermostat is installed upside down, backward, incorrectly or it's just plane defective. I am seriously running out of ideas. Oh wait, what about that black knob located under the gas tank on the left hand side. It control the idle. If it's idle way to low, lets say 800 to 900 RPM'S. It will never start.
If I have any more crazy ideas. I'll be sure to post them here for you.
Thanks
let us know

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well first of all, I didn't say that I burp it often, I said that I've done it more than once, each time being when I fix something and have to refill the coolant. As far as the coolant leaking and preventing pressure build up, like I said, there are no leaks anywhere. Besides, the bike isn't over-heating, I was just concerned about where the needle should be on the temp gauge when it's at operating temp, and why it tends to heat up when I'm idling. I've done some more research and I've found that the oem plastic fans are p.o.s.'s. Apparently they don't pull enough air through the radiator while idling. Everyone seems to upgrade to aluminum fans instead. Any input on that and where the needle should be is really all I'm looking for.
Muzzy aluminum fans here for vn750. p/n HT-H5:
http://www.muzzys.com/fans.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts