1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10167922_10203626643724907_6270511545172555875_n.jpg

10299085_10203626644404924_5037363096852405632_n.jpg

10313695_10203626645484951_9045420442985614083_n.jpg

10151416_10203626645284946_8446582063723606590_n.jpg Purchased my '11 Vaquero Jan of 2012, have 29,500 miles on it as of this post. last year around 18k miles i flushed the coolant with vinegar and distilled water, then distilled water a few times and refilled with engine ice...the engine ice didn't work any better, fins on radiator look good, system was burped and didn't have any air in it...

bike shouldn't be running as hot as it is - we haven't gotten hotter than 80F yet this year.

I contacted Ray and decided to go with a 70% distilled water, 30% etheylene glycol coolant/antifreeze and 6oz of water wetter

Upon removing my coolant fill cap i found the black coating on the inside was pealing off and contaminating my system, and in the overflow tank i found red clay looking material, like muddy water so i decided to flush with a coolant flush - prestone i think.

I drained all fuid and then dumped the whole prestone bottle in there, topped off with distilled water and let the bike run for 30 min intervals for a couple of hours, rode it around the block...drained that liquid and replaced with straight distilled water, ran it some today to get it circulating again, and will flush, refill with distilled water and run it again tonight to try to get the rest of that cleaner out....once i succeed there i will go with rays mix

anyone else have this issue? haven't checked the radiator fins but assume they are fine - thought about taking some a/c coil cleaner to the fins on the radiator but i'm still flushing, want to make sure it is really clean before i put ethylene glocol back in it.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The black flakes have been discussed on here several times. I think it's good to flush them out; but it seems that every 1700 has em. So, I guess they aren't gonna blow up our engines.
I don't know anything about the red clay.

I use the 70/30 with a couple of ounces of water wetter.

I have found that the bike runs cooler when I use higher octane.
I haven't studied the science to explain it; but it doesn't really matter much. My temp needle is all I need to know it works.

Where is your coolant gauge running?

Scott

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The black flakes have been discussed on here several times. I think it's good to flush them out; but it seems that every 1700 has em. So, I guess they aren't gonna blow up our engines.
I don't know anything about the red clay.

I use the 70/30 with a couple of ounces of water wetter.

I have found that the bike runs cooler when I use higher octane.
I haven't studied the science to explain it; but it doesn't really matter much. My temp needle is all I need to know it works.

Where is your coolant gauge running?

Scott
city driving running about 3/4

highway dead center

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
city driving running about 3/4

highway dead center
That seems about normal operating temps.
The fan comes on just past the 4th white tic.

Here is the actual temps for the tic marks.
TEMP GAUGE TICKS
C=120
1=140
2=160
3=180 Middle Tick
4=200 Fan at 203
5=220
H1=240
H2=250

Mine starts running to the fan on position (and a touch past if I'm at a long light) in town at around 85F.
Since I went to synthetic oil and a K&N filter it hasn't gotten to the 5th mark (220F) even in the summer heat.

Scott

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems about normal operating temps.
The fan comes on just past the 4th white tic.

Here is the actual temps for the tic marks.
TEMP GAUGE TICKS
C=120
1=140
2=160
3=180 Middle Tick
4=200 Fan at 203
5=220
H1=240
H2=250

Scott

good info to know

still i'm flushing 2 more times and then going to 30/70 with water wetter

well i guess ill flush until i quit getting junk in the drain pan and overflow tank

yall think a/c coil cleaner would be safe to use on the radiator fins?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
good info to know

still i'm flushing 2 more times and then going to 30/70 with water wetter

well i guess ill flush until i quit getting junk in the drain pan and overflow tank

yall think a/c coil cleaner would be safe to use on the radiator fins?
I had the same experience with my 1700 Nomad but could not tell what it was doing without a temp gauge.

After buying my Voyager with 22,000 miles on it I did this wright up on it http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98114&highlight=tank+removal+coolant+change .

You can see the "mud" looking stuff you mentioned on the towels I used to catch the particles.

IMO unless you do several flushing's back to back the loose crap in the cooling system will not break free and come out.

Now that I can see what the temp is actually doing flushing the system does not keep the 1700 engine from getting hot in heavy traffic or at long stops, but it does cool down a lot quicker when you start moving.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same experience with my 1700 Nomad but could not tell what it was doing without a temp gauge.

After buying my Voyager with 22,000 miles on it I did this wright up on it http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98114&highlight=tank+removal+coolant+change .

You can see the "mud" looking stuff you mentioned on the towels I used to catch the particles.

IMO unless you do several flushing's back to back the loose crap in the cooling system will not break free and come out.

Now that I can see what the temp is actually doing flushing the system does not keep the 1700 engine from getting hot in heavy traffic or at long stops, but it does cool down a lot quicker when you start moving.

awesome! thank you!

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is a good right up. Does anyone know how cold the 30% antifreeze/70% distilled water will provide protection? I live in Central Virginia and have varying temperatures during the winter months. My plan was to use engine ice but would like to make sure all of the flaking is done brfore spending the money on the engine ice.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a good right up. Does anyone know how cold the 30% antifreeze/70% distilled water will provide protection? I live in Central Virginia and have varying temperatures during the winter months. My plan was to use engine ice but would like to make sure all of the flaking is done brfore spending the money on the engine ice.

engine ice sucks

·
Registered
318 Posts
I heard really good reviews about engine ice initially and now the reviews are getting bad. I will probably use antifreeze at a 30/70 mix with water wetter depending on its protection factor. Anyone in a similar climate as Central Virginia please chime in.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I heard really good reviews about engine ice initially and now the reviews are getting bad. I will probably use antifreeze at a 30/70 mix with water wetter depending on its protection factor. Anyone in a similar climate as Central Virginia please chime in.

i would go with 30/70 and water wetter...then when it starts getting cooler drain the overflow tank and fill with straight coolant...should work out great....its my plan, unless we only have a week or two of freezing - in that case ill just leave the bike in my garage.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
engine ice sucks
Engine Ice does not suck. I have been using it for years..... and will continue to do so for many more years...... thank you very much..... :mad-tongue:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Element 80 its that Alpine amp you installed.Shaking the crap out of your Radiator Now. LoL
maybe lol

Engine Ice does not suck. I have been using it for years..... and will continue to do so for many more years...... thank you very much..... :mad-tongue:
then kawasaki sucks lol, why would they coat the cooling system with black paint that will peel off and contaminate stuff, why do they retard the ignition and richen the air fuel ratio when the coolant gauge gets past halfway, why does the fan not move my coolant temp needle? why did the kawi shop in tyler charge me 3.92 for the over flow cap when all the online retailers and shops in the dallas area quote me 90 cents?

why did it take me 2 days and 15 different shops before i found the correct battery for my bike

patiently awaiting the release of the 2015 Road Glide

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Sometime this year I am going to re flush and see how much more black crap I get out. I did get a lot when I flushed for the Engine Ice..... I flushed 4 times.... but I just used tap water. It could have been dark blue.... but I a colorblind.... might have been pink....

To me it looked like paint flakes.... large flakes. Has anyone actually figured out what it was/is?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I got quite a bit of black flakes when I flushed last year. I, like Bubba, am a fan of Engine Ice. My bike seems to be running cooler than it was before I switched but it still gets pretty hot. I just deal with it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I used Ray's mixture and the fan did lower the temperature on the gauge when I had my Vaquero. The Vaquero likes to be moving pretty good to keep the temp down. Like I said before my 900LT did not have a temp gauge and never even worried about it. Once in while moving slow or at stops the fan would kick on and I would think that everything is working fine because the fan kicked on. That coolant gauge causes a lot of unnecessary worries in my mind.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
That coolant gauge causes a lot of unnecessary worries in my mind.
I agree.... Even after I did the Engine Ice, which I have used in other scoots, the temps on the gauge has not gone past 3/4 marks since then,

But without a doubt, all the heat I was feeling on me was coming from the exhaust pipe. It was all on the right side.

If I had wrapped mine before I did the Engine Ice, I think I would have waited until the first time I flushed and changed antifreeze like I have done in scoots past. This Voyager is the first one that I put in the Engine Ice right off the bat.

Wrapping the exhaust was the single best thing I did for my legs. I have even ridden in shorts and sandals a few times in 100 degree heat. But waiting for a train, which we constantly have here with LOTS of RXR crossings, I kill it and restart after the train goes by as it will go past 3/4 a little bit on a 100 degree day. And that fan is blowing hot air then.

I agree.... If that temp gauge was not there we wouldn't worry so much.

But in reality my Voyager is no hotter on my legs on a sizzling day than all those Police HD's I rode for 20+ years.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sometime this year I am going to re flush and see how much more black crap I get out. I did get a lot when I flushed for the Engine Ice..... I flushed 4 times.... but I just used tap water. It could have been dark blue.... but I a colorblind.... might have been pink....

To me it looked like paint flakes.... large flakes. Has anyone actually figured out what it was/is?
it is a hi temp coating from the inside of the metal parts on the cooling system, it is breaking down that is what the black specks are...check your cooling cap, and just inside

I agree.... Even after I did the Engine Ice, which I have used in other scoots, the temps on the gauge has not gone past 3/4 marks since then,

But without a doubt, all the heat I was feeling on me was coming from the exhaust pipe. It was all on the right side.

If I had wrapped mine before I did the Engine Ice, I think I would have waited until the first time I flushed and changed antifreeze like I have done in scoots past. This Voyager is the first one that I put in the Engine Ice right off the bat.

Wrapping the exhaust was the single best thing I did for my legs. I have even ridden in shorts and sandals a few times in 100 degree heat. But waiting for a train, which we constantly have here with LOTS of RXR crossings, I kill it and restart after the train goes by as it will go past 3/4 a little bit on a 100 degree day. And that fan is blowing hot air then.

I agree.... If that temp gauge was not there we wouldn't worry so much.

But in reality my Voyager is no hotter on my legs on a sizzling day than all those Police HD's I rode for 20+ years.

my bike seems to always stay past the 3/4 mark

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Mine was almost that bad before the flush with tons of black stuff coming out, and Engine Ice treatment....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts