Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had a noise from the front area,almost sounds like tire noise from a cupped tire but my front tire looks fine.I tried leaning hard in corners to see if the pitch of the noise would change but still the same.So I checked the bike over could not see anything loose and the noise gets noticeable once you pass 40mph and as you go higher in speed it gets louder.
So I am going to do a test with my air compressor but I think the noise I hear is my cooling fans spinning from the air flow through the radiator at higher speeds.Anybody else experienced this?
My bike is a 2012 Voyager with the heat kit all around the radiator.I am thinking of removing it and see if that helps or even locking the fan blade in place for a short ride and see if that makes any difference.the noise sounds like a fan hummm like when you blow compressed air through a fan and get it spinning too fast.Hense my thinking.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey man, I panicked the first time I heard my cooling fan. Apparently this is normal for it to be so noisy.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it appears not to be my cooling fan but an over tight belt drive.Re-adjusted the belt a little looser and the noise seems to have gone away.

·
Registered
440 Posts
They come over tight from the factory..

·
Registered
698 Posts
They come over tight from the factory..
I've seen this stated as a fact many times but my question is why do Kawa engineers specify an over tight belt? There must be a reason or do the dealers when they get a new bike check all the settings & tighten to what they think it should be?

As an observation - could it be like using a torque wrench on a nut or whatever. You tighten till the set torque is reached BUT this doesn't take into account the condition of the nut/bolt itself which may be lubed (or dry) or dirty or whatever. The reality doesn't necessarily match the indicated torque so the specification isn't being met.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This time it was overtight because of me.I removed the wheel to have the commander 2 mounted and reinstalled the rear wheel myself.All seems ok now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts