Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does anyone have to say about the use of Engine Ice as a coolant in the Voyager?

·
Registered
148 Posts
What does anyone have to say about the use of Engine Ice as a coolant in the Voyager?
Put it in last Sept. Can't really comment on it running cooler until Summer temps come around, but have noticed the times I have ridden with it since Sept- Oct 2013 engine wasn't as hot as usual for the temps during those months. Also in March 2014 was able to do a 150 mile trip when temps got up to 60 and noticed it seemed like it ran cooler for 60 degree temps.

I made a thread here about the transfer over to Engine Ice and what I did to flush out the system with correct mixture of distilled water and vinegar. Click on my user name and search for the thread. You don't want the engine Ice mixing with the coolant it came with.

Also have done different changes and mods where it helps allow engine to run cooler. Like change to a brand new full exhaust system, hi flow filter, Cobra Fi2000 auto tuner, Mobile one 20W50 Full Syn V-Twin oil (which I noticed right away) with helping engine run much cooler. Cooler enough where after turning off engine from riding, the fan wasn't coming on as thermostat wasn't being triggered by high temps for the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Snake oil IMO. Save your money. Big engine + small radiator = lots of radiated heat felt by the rider.

Remember, only the heads are liquid cooled and the radiator is very small.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put it in mine last July and noticed no difference in engine temps. Bike still runs way too hot for my liking

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not sure if you guys are running the 10W40 oil, but if you are the Mobile 1 20W50 (which is is approved in the owners manual) V-Twin motorcycle Full Syn oil does allow engine to run cooler. And changing the exhaust headers (going with a new full exhaust) higher flow filter and fuel processor (which you will need in doing this mod) adds to cooling running engine. I know there probably are alot of people out there who wouldn't want to invest in over $1000 for full exhaust and tuner, but helping to get that engine to breath better displaces the heat to some degree.

Non of this is "snake oil". I never felt once that the radiator for that big engine was too small, or doesn't live up to expectations. It simply was a mater of the mods that I've done to achieve a less hotter engine. And the first experience with noticing a less hotter engine came with switching to Mobile 1 full Syn 20W50 V-Twin motorcycle oil. the difference for me was felt right after the change and engine running for awhile. I was actually able to quick touch the mufflers and not get a burn, unlike when I ran the 10W40 and was wiping off bug splats a couple years ago, and accidentally touched mufflers by accident and got a blister from it. It was a very quick tough as well.

I've also heard read about people whom used Amsoil and noticed cooler running temps. Though never used it, so I couldn't comment on it.

Also with regards to stock exhaust head pipes, if you were to take off the heat shields and see how this head pipe runs you would see how it would contribute to the engine running hot. the design is so restrictive before it meets the mufflers. The bends on the head pipe are a joke. They are around 1 3/4" diameter and not only are restrictive, but look it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i use it in my zx14 and it defenitly works. it doesnt work as well after a year in the radiator.if you dont add antifreeze you can freeze and break something. and if you do add antifreeze it doesnt work as well as it does with just distilled water.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Why? Are you going to take it to the track? The reason for engine ice is to replace the glycol based coolant in track bikes because a spill will create a slippery surface and that is my good so glycol has to be replaced either by plain water or other type of coolant.

I would leave the factory recommended coolant in a cruiser.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The 1700 engine does not really run hot, or should I say hotter than what it should or hotter than other skoots.

Simply put it is the RADIATED heat WE feel that seems to bother most peeps. Add into that the temp gauges on the Voyager and Vaquero that has that needle "getting up there" kind plays mind games on us.

On the 1700's the fan kicks in when the coolant temp is at about 195-200 dg and that is certainly in the right temp range. Lotsa sportbikes have their fans kicking in at 210-218 dg, much higher than our skoots.

Changing to a better coolant will slow down the upward temp rise in slower traffic where you don't have as much airflow thru the radiator.

Of course using a good synthetic oil will also reduce engine/coolant temps, but unless you are in a state like Texas where the temps are in the 110 dg area, 20-50 is more of a liability than an asset as compared to the recommended 10-40.

In the heat of last summer (south fla is nowhere's near as hot as some areas) I deviated from the 10-40 I had used for over 41,000 mls and changed to 20-50 to see if there would be any benefits over the 10-40.

The first thing I noticed was there was a loss in acceleration, was very noticeable. Took more throttle to git up n go.The next thing was a loss in mpg and that it also ran slightly hotter. There was no change in shifting or engine smoothness. Since it takes power FROM THE ENGINE to spin the oil pump and pump the oil, the higher viscosity oil took more power from the engine than the 10-40. This was backed up by a loss of mpg, but within about 2000 miles the acceleration and mpg seemed came back to what it had been all along. There certainly was no benefits to the 20-50 down here even in the summertime when I did this comparison. The 20-50 is less optimum in areas that are cooler.

For so many years our dyno policy is to NOT change oil during a tuning session as new oil quite often will cause an 2-4 drop in H.P., doesn't make the customers happy!!

Also on the 1700's not only are the heads liquid cooled but also the top 1/3 of the cylinders are liquid cooled. The cylinders have a water jacket that completely surrounds the upper third of the cylinder bore.

RACNRAY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts