Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, just wanted to share this.
I am planning to put coolant temperature gauge on my Vulcan.
Ordered temp gauge that comes with sensor from Aliexpress along with gauge pod.
Also ordered hose T joint for sensor from eBay.
Here are links if everyone is interested:
Temp Gauge (There are more options, both digital and analog, I think this one goes best with our Vulcan)
Gauge Pod
Joint pipe

Now I'm waiting for items to arrive. Best place I have found to put sensor is upper hose between filler neck and radiator. Will have to buy another hose, don't want to cut one on the bike, and I have to make handlebar clamp for gauge pod. Hopefully I'll do this in few months and post back results, I'm too busy and don't have much time fiddling around with the bike. If someone already done this or plan to do it soon, post back some pics :wink2:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update:

3 months have passed and I forgot about this thread.
Good thing, items arrived long time ago - bad thing, inaccurate as f...I expected this from a cheap Chinese crap. Got refund so all good.
Point to note - Don't buy cheap Chinese gauges.

Ordered VDO gauge and sensor, $70 in total. Quite expensive for my wallet but I know VDO is making reliable and accurate gauges and sensors.
Also ordered Biker's Choice tachometer. Once I got these items I'll throw some pics and share my experience.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just wondering why?
We that have these en500 bikes were made from 1991 - 2009, so old.
If they have survived this long without a temp gauge......
Dont be so worried about this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Temp in the summertime where I live can reach up to 115F, I would like to have something to monitor engine temp when fan kicks in, especially when sitting at the traffic lights and on busy traffic.

And honestly, I feel anxious about this bike overall, already had to replace head gasket, cylinder and jugs due to overheating caused by terrible maintenance by previous owner...

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Personally, I like having a temp gauge. Just another tool, like a voltmeter, to give some warning that a problem is developing. On my previous bike, the fan apparently died on my way home from work on a day with temps in the low 80s. I would not have known immediately if the water temp light had not come on at red lights. When I was moving, it cooled enough to turn the light off. It would have been nice to have a visual clue as to how much it cooled off. Thankfully, it was not in the high 90s or higher or it would only have gotten hotter moving or not.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got gauge this morning. I'm still waiting for a sensor and also have to find or make better mount/bracket.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update:
Sensor is working great once the engine gets warmed up. Its responsive and accurate.
Sensor adapter fits perfectly, there won't be any leaks for sure!
I applied low strength threadlocker on sensor threads to create a leak-proof seal.
Ordered some handlebar mirror mounts from eBay to mount gauge, still need to make bracket.
Backlight is dim which is very nice compared to Biker's choice tach. Gauge pointer is also illuminated, unlike Biker's choice tach where pointer is almost invisible in the dark...
Overall I am very satisfied with gauge and sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just went on a 15-mile ride. Temp gauge reading was around 80+-5C (160F - 190F) depending on speed/RPMs. So normal operating temperature for this bike should be around 80C.

I wired bulb negative on the same ground that sensor is grounded and soon as I turned on backlight temp gauge was showing few degrees more, I don't mind this, will leave it as is for now.

As for the tachometer, it showed me a few things.
1. Whenever I thought I was in high RPMs, tachometer showed that I was actually in the 3-4k range, guess I'm still not used to cruiser with sporty engine.
2. Backfire on deceleration below 3k RPMs and lazy return to idle, have to take carbs to ultrasonic bath, looks like idle circuit is clogged, tried few times cleaning it but no success...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the last needed thing is 5 core cable (22 or 24 AWG)
I used a USB cable which is basically 4 core so backlight and gauge negative are sharing same wire, this is not good solution since gauge becomes slightly inaccurate when backlight is on (goes few degrees up)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks Mark!

Sadly, a couple of the items linked have sellers who do not ship to the US, but that's fine. With the specs given, I can (hopefully) pretty easily find a suitable replacement stateside or from somewhere that will ship to the US. Most of this looks pretty common, just a matter of cross referencing the specs and finding one of our Fahrenheit gauges (probably the exact same gauge with a face printed in F instead of C).

The install itself seems pretty straight forward, my only question on that is did you install the sensor on the upper or lower hose? I can't tell 100% from your picture..

Also, the terminal you used for the sensor lead (center). Did that come with the sensor or did you have to source that separately?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really nice little clock, saved me few times lol

You will find all parts easily, there are plenty of US sellers on ebay with all needed parts. Gauge is available in F version. The one I ordered is the cheapest, there are more.
Sensor is installed on the upper radiator hose, and it should be installed there to get the most accurate readings.
Terminal connector is just a regular one, doesn't come with the sensor.

Overall its straightforward install, only PITA is if you want to have backlight synced with the speedometer light. You will have to de-pin 2 wires from that white connector, solder additional 2 wires that will go into gauge backlight and then put those pins back in place. Bit tricky.
Or it can be wired to be on all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts