Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vn900 Custom with approx. 2000 miles on it and was suprised to se some whitish deposits showing up on both the front and rear cylinders. Wiped them carefully with swabs and it returned in about 50 miles. Talked to my local dealer who said it was probably the O rings used where the short nipples seat into the cyl. from two short hoses fed by a divider off of the output of the thermostat housing. In that I didn't purchase the extended warranty they would have to charge me as I have had the bike for over 12 months (couldn't ride it during the winter-Western New York). I figured since it already had a problem I couldn't do to much damage just looking into it. After removing the coil cover I verified that the leak(s) were indeed at the divider that was previously mentioned. It wasn't internal O rings however. The clamps on the short hose sections were loose. After removing the coil mount plate they were accessable. Got about 1 full turn on each of them using a hand driver (no ratchet) so as not to strip them. Cleaned up the area and so far in about 350 miles no sign of any leaks whatever. Hope this may help somebody having the same condition before they sp[end a lot of money in unnecessary O ring replacements. Absolutely love the bike and this is the only Problem so far. RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
658 Posts
awesome... glad you didn't get hosed by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Had same exact issue with my v2k... Dlr fixed for free at 3 months

I have a vn900 Custom with approx. 2000 miles on it and was suprised to se some whitish deposits showing up on both the front and rear cylinders. Wiped them carefully with swabs and it returned in about 50 miles. Talked to my local dealer who said it was probably the O rings used where the short nipples seat into the cyl. from two short hoses fed by a divider off of the output of the thermostat housing. In that I didn't purchase the extended warranty they would have to charge me as I have had the bike for over 12 months (couldn't ride it during the winter-Western New York). I figured since it already had a problem I couldn't do to much damage just looking into it. After removing the coil cover I verified that the leak(s) were indeed at the divider that was previously mentioned. It wasn't internal O rings however. The clamps on the short hose sections were loose. After removing the coil mount plate they were accessable. Got about 1 full turn on each of them using a hand driver (no ratchet) so as not to strip them. Cleaned up the area and so far in about 350 miles no sign of any leaks whatever. Hope this may help somebody having the same condition before they sp[end a lot of money in unnecessary O ring replacements. Absolutely love the bike and this is the only Problem so far. RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
117 Posts
Had the same problem with my SE. I tried to tighten the clamps, but it didn't stop the leak. I replaced the clamps with some good automotive style and haven't seen a drop since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts