Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there have been similar posts to this as I have just read one from 2012. Unfortunately, there was no satisfactory conclusion as regards the cause. I have changed the coolant on my 1998 Classic today, the first time since I have owned it. I followed the usual instructions, removing the speedometer housing and the radiator filler cap. When I removed the coolant drain plug from the bottom right of the engine case, the coolant did not drain. I checked to see if the drain was blocked, but it wasn't. I was able to insert my small screwdriver through the drain into the engine case at least 4'', but it appeared to be dry. I finally removed the hose from the bottom of the radiator where it connects to the pump. It drained and I collected 1.8 liters of old coolant. The capacity of the system I think is 2.4 liters, which means that I had only drained the coolant from the radiator and not the engine. I replaced the hose and re-filled the radiator with distilled water and ran the bike until hot. I then drained it again and the water was slightly green, so it had passed through the engine and removed the old coolant. Again, the amount drained was 1.8 liters, so 600 ml of water remained in the engine.
I then repeated this, filling the radiator with premixed coolant and ran the bike again until hot. I then drained it again and collected 1.8 liters of what appeared to be just pure green coolant. Obviously, as before 600 ml of coolant had remained in the engine. I finally finished by refilling the radiator with coolant. This was a long drawn out way to ensure that ALL the coolant had been fully replaced, I am still very confused by the fact that at no time did any coolant come out of the drain. The bike has always run very well and doesn't overheat and the cooling fan operates normally at the correct temperature. I just can't figure it out but would like to, as today's coolant change took me 4 hours as I had to wait for the bike to cool before each re-fill. Please any ideas?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Does the 800 engine have spots on the cylinders where you can remove a plug and drain the coolant passage from the cylinder? It may not have them for all that I know.

I mention this because my 750 has a plug on each cylinder that is located in the lowest spot of coolant passages in the cylinder. The passage there is like the letter "L" but tilted 45 degrees on the side counterclockwise. That particular place will never drain completely unless the drain lug is removed.

I don't know if your engine has corresponding drain plugs.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Incidentally, why the name Red Horse?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I was wondering about the Red Horse thing because in the USAF, Red Horse, was the common name given to Civil Engineer type folks. There was a great rivalry between Red Horse troops and the AMMO troops (bomb dump guys). I was an AMMO troop.

At least, this was the way it was when I was active duty, but I've been retired out of the USAF for 23 years now.

As for the 800 draining issue goes, I can't help ya there.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
dam it, after seeing the picture of that red horse beer bottle i want to have about 8 of 'em then ride thru town, lol

·
Registered
331 Posts
NO coolant will drain out of my 800 unless the radiator top is open. Once open, it gushes out. It acts like a finger on top of a straw that is full of liquid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also had this issue but was adventurous enough to jam and twist a flat bladed screwdriver just a bit smaller in width of the drain hole and pierced the plug of ?sedimentatious? material that was blocking the drain hole and it flowed very well with the radiator cap off.
I thought that it was an isolated issue but as I see here other have run into this issue also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts