Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the retarded question, but how do I check my coolant level? The coolant reservoir is hidden underneath the gas tank and it's really hard to see the coolant level in it. And where is the cap to top it off?

I'm looking at the pictures in Haynes manual, but my bike looks nothing like it...

Also, I see that the manual recommends having the coolant changed every 2 years. Do you guys strongly recommend doing it this often? The bike is 3-years old and has 4K miles on it now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can look under the tank with a flashlight or you have to take the speedometer housing off to fill it. If you just look under with a flashlight. Check twice because it can be deceiving.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Like Chirs Said It Can Be Deceiving,I check Mine With A Flashlight And At The Same Time i hold on to the throttle in move the bike left to right to get the fluid to move around ,i all so marked the full line with a black permanent marker it helps.i change my fluid every 2 yrs,i can't say that you need to

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks...

Thanks Pete, I had the same question today when I was looking over the bike, the little picture in the owners manual doesnt quite cut it. I finally found the reservoir and also had a difficult time finding the fluid level. Nice tip on using a black marker on the full line...now if I can just find the full line! :cool:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, its in a tight spot - and you will need a flash light. When your checking the tank on the right facing front your checking the overflow level, it does have a HIGH & LOW line that runs horizontal, to check your coolant level thats retained in bikes engine/pump/radiator you will need to take the speedometer off. Its easy as mentioned above, the lowest 8mm bolt holds the entire chrome assembly together, take that off and unplug the 2 harnesses for lights/sensors (WITH THE IGNITION OFF-KEY OUT, or even better battery UNPLUGGED) and you will see what looks like a radiator cap atop a cars radiator, THAT is where you will be able to see the level if it is low. If the bikes been sitting, and cold, looking at the overflow tank will not tell you if your coolant is low, unless you see apparent leaks near the hoses/gaskets and where the pump housing meets the clutch cover (you would notice a whitish color on your right pipe, that easily wipes off - this is a sign of a the mechanical pump housing seal breaking down) This is a sealed system, but if for some reason you have a leak the overflow will not display this. And a tip with the flash light, do it at night, place the light behind the tank lighting up the entire tank, as mentioned above shake the bike carefully and you will see which ever color coolant you have, stock is green.

Hope that helps - also if you fill make sure you wipe any splashed runoff, this way you won't mistake a mess for a leak down the road.

Safe riding ~

·
Registered
641 Posts
Another pointer someone showed me: When shining your flashlight on the reservoir you'll notice a crease on the plastic tank. If you're not careful you'll think this is the coolant level and think it is low. This may save you some needless trouble.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good info here, I was wondering the same thing and thought it was a dumb question...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
For what it's worth, don't be afraid of just pulling the fuel tank if you're having trouble seeing the coolant level. Once you've done it a time or two, it's a five minute process.

·
Registered
304 Posts
im more worried about how to empty the tank, than taking it off :)
It's really cold and snowy here now so I wont be riding much....

thought about just letting it run in my driveway for a few hours...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You don't need to empty it. As long as the petcock isn't set to the Prime position, fuel won't flow (unless the petcock is broken, in which case it needs to be fixed regardless).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts