Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2006 VN900 Classic for a month now and has put on a shade under 1000 miles under my butt. (On the top of 4.3K Miles the previous owner put in).

This weekend I realized that the bike is leaking coolant and a small puddle got collected on the right side of the engine in a small nook under the cylinders. I took it to the mechanic and he couldn't pinpoint the exact source of leak. He cleaned up the mess and I went home and found that it started leaking again - Yes, it is sporadic, it wouldn't leak for like a long time and then it does.

Anyway this time we tracked it down to the the black tube that goes into the engine on the right side right under the cylinders. The mechanic deemed the culprit to be a copper/copper alloy ring that acts as a washer/gasket. I have ordered the part.

Meanwhile, I am still riding the bike, even though I have restricted it to within the town. I am not losing too much coolant - just half an ounce or something if it happens. I guess it only happens when the coolant is running when the engine heats up.

Has anyone had this issue? Does it look like a one-off minor issue or a predecessor for more problems to come?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My bad, I tried to look up the part - it is not copper, but it is a red plastic like material . Part#92093-1427

Funny thing, the mechanic said it would take 10 days to arrive. A rudimentary search showed some online shops selling it for 2 bucks but charging $18 for shipping :eek:

Anyway I found a seller in eBay who sells it for about 2 bucks and ships for another 3 bucks. Also says it should arrive in 3-6 days if I select USPS regular shipping.

I am new to motorcycles, but why all these discrepancies? And why are there folks out there to gouge me?:mad:

·
Registered
343 Posts
My dealer (Nord-ride) can have OEM & other stuff in two days ,some places only order once a week or so.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 900 also...I would love to see a pic of yours I also have a BMW R90s,but I like the kaw better........brum

·
Registered
117 Posts
Might be worth a closer look. Mine was leaking from the rubber hose connections on that same tube. Both the front and rear hose clamps were leaking. I tightened them and it still leaked. Got rid of the cheap flimsy clamps for some good ones and not a drip since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same Problem

I have the same leak on my 95 vulcan 800, from top seal where coolant pipe goes into crankcase. I can get the seal for a couple bucks, but from looking at things it looks like a lot of work to replace. You had yours repaired, you mind telling me how that went and what it cost you?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a straight forward repair of taking it out and replacing the seal. The bike was under the 30 day warranty at the time, so I did not pay for it. However, from what I recollect, it cost about $250, with about $30 in parts and the rest in labor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts