Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hawdy all, question, gotta slight leak on m rose, 800 vnb classic. It's at a hard line on right side of bottom of the jugs going into the lower end. Does'nt leak much... yet, bout a 1/4 qt every hunnert or so miles but pools on top-o-the lower end and runs down... will stop-leak harm the coolant workin's, a small measured dose? Looks like a seal repair is a major work, don't mean t sound lazy. Thanks... Ride Safe, Ride Geared

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
Never ever use a stop leak! It can clog up your entire system. They work by reacting with air, so any air that gets into the system will cause some of the stop leak to harden. They can cause problems in cars, but could be a real disaster in a motorcycle because of the smaller passages in the cooling system. Besides, most mfg of these products will tell you they are stop gap measures to keep you going until the leak can be fixed and the coolant changed to get the stop leak out of the system.

Seals and hoses need to be replaced from time to time.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Here is a couple of pages from the factory manual showing the cooling system. Agree with Sabre-t and don’t recommend any additives to be introduced into the system. Replace the component that leaking.
78041DE6-498C-4ED0-9FB5-CC701C6F05F6.png
070DB508-C846-403D-818F-33426EA949B8.png

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah, figured as much! The hard line coolz the lower end I figured and the seal is a press fit that may or may not be a design flaw... shit!!! Thanks guyz

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, second page, #6, a major refit.. good dang diggeldy shit doo!!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
what you need is 2 seals OEM #92093-1427 $2.34 each

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
The repair manual says to put soapy water on these seals before installation. But read on this forum to use some form of grease. Also have to be careful when installing. The seals twist easy.

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
I guess it depends on what you call "major work" but it shouldn't be that hard to replace those seals. While you are doing it, it would be a good time to replace all the hoses, seals and o-rings. They may never have been replaced and they are likely to eventually go bad. Hoses get weak, seals and o-rings get hard and deform so that they leak. I suggest doing a cooling system flush (with an alkaline automotive flush product) before doing it, then when you are thru and have new coolant, your cooling system should be in great shape.

I'm doing a lot of major maintenance right now. In a few weeks I will be replacing all the hoses, etc. before putting in new coolant. I flushed mine 2 years ago, so no need to at this time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it that simple to replace the seals on that hard line? I'm thinking y hafta drop the big cover to do that or am I wrong? I have a Clymers manual but have'nt researched it yet... guess that's next.

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
Aren't the seals in ports into/out of the engine cover? I may be wrong, but I don't thing you have to remove the cover to get to them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts