Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I got a '05 VN2000 Limited with just over 30K on it and it has developed a coolant leak some where under the tank I think. Seems to drip down the cylinders and either pool on the engine crankcase by the starter behind the rear cyl or drip off the oil return tube onto the primary cover on the left side of the bike. I can always smell a "wisp" of coolant when the bike is hot but the level don't seem to go down much. I tightened the clamps and made sure it was clean to see where it was coming from but I'm not to sure what's under the tank that could be causing this problem. Any help?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check all those hose clamps. I had a friend that had a leak on his and so we checked mine and many of the clamps were not tight enough.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Check all those hose clamps. I had a friend that had a leak on his and so we checked mine and many of the clamps were not tight enough.
Dumb question, how do i check the level of the coolant. I briefly looked for a sight glass and resevior tank and didnt see any place to check fluid. Can one of you guys direct me. I had to remove the top hose for something and some coolant squirted out and now am worried I might be a little low. Not much came out, maybe about 4 to 5 oz.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Right side of bike at back of engine next to bottom frame rail there is a plastic tank with a sight glass on it. You'll have to find it and clean the window but you can see the coolant level.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The below picture is from the manual showing the location to check the coolant level. Note that this pic has the mufflers removed to show the location, but if you get on the ground and look up from underneath the bike you can see it (just barely). Also, below are comments from V2K owners on another forum about how to make it easier to check the coolant level:

"I use a long tie wrap and years ago established the distance down the tube to the coolant....the ratcheting part of the tie wrap will hold coolant so it makes a good indicator. Use a white colored tie wrap rather than a black one as it shows the coolant better. I put a piece of tape on the tie wrap to gauge how far to stick down the tube...it is about 7 inches from the bottom of the tie wrap to the tape."

"For some reason the original tube gets clouded. I replaced mine with a piece of simple vinyl tube from the hardware store and its been clear and easy to read for years."

·
Registered
445 Posts
Get a white zip-tie long enough to stick in the tank and reach the bottom.
When you pull it out you will get a feel of the level.
That is if your clear tube is like mine and whited out and not able to see through it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
did you check the clamps at the top of the cylinders?
My 2000 had similar leak issues which the dealer could only fix after removing the tank. If you look at the OEM fiche for the engine you see about4 hose clamps way up at the top of the cylinders under the tank... in my case they were not fully tightened from the factory and tightening them fixed the leaks for good.

good luck..

Anne

Hi guys, I got a '05 VN2000 Limited with just over 30K on it and it has developed a coolant leak some where under the tank I think. Seems to drip down the cylinders and either pool on the engine crankcase by the starter behind the rear cyl or drip off the oil return tube onto the primary cover on the left side of the bike. I can always smell a "wisp" of coolant when the bike is hot but the level don't seem to go down much. I tightened the clamps and made sure it was clean to see where it was coming from but I'm not to sure what's under the tank that could be causing this problem. Any help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, my problem turned out to be the level of the coolant in the tank. It was over the "FULL" line but because the hose which acts like a sight glass was so dirty it was impossible to see where the level was. I removed the tank, cleaned the hose, refilled fluid up to the "FULL" line and it solved the problem. No more leaks and no more smelling a "wisp" of coolant when the bike is hot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts