Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Vulcan 500 with 19k miles. It was leaking coolant and was told it needed a new mechanical seal. Replaced it with 2 new gaskets, all OEM, put it all back together with a torque wrench. Went to drive it and while it was sitting, before turning off the ignition I noticed it leaking again from the same place. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed! Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
155 Posts
From which place exactly?

There are few mistakes to be made to cause leak, most common ones are:
1. Mechanical seal not aligned with water pump housing while it was pressed in.
2. Those nasty 2 pins/dowels sometimes won't go in all the way, especially if they are corroded.
3. And I really hope that you didn't use torque or any other wrench to tighten impeller...That impeller shaft is very fragile and it will bend or even snap if over-torqued, causing a major leak, don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From which place exactly?

There are few mistakes to be made to cause leak, most common ones are:
1. Mechanical seal not aligned with water pump housing while it was pressed in.
2. Those nasty 2 pins/dowels sometimes won't go in all the way, especially if they are corroded.
3. And I really hope that you didn't use torque or any other wrench to tighten impeller...That impeller shaft is very fragile and it will bend or even snap if over-torqued, causing a major leak, don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:
Actually, I did use a torque wrench on the impeller. Just trying to follow the instructions in the manual. I did not feel any snaps or bending going on. Hope that's all good!??

As far as seeing from where the leak is coming from, I think I would need to take off the right pedal assembly. Only thing is that the exhaust pipe and frame seem to be in the way of looking. That sound about right?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Many people sheared impeller shaft by using torque wrench, including me. You probably got lucky. It's left threaded so when the engine starts impeller will self tighten.

Yeah, remove footpeg assembly and take a look. Frame and exhaust pipe won't be in the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took off the pedal assembly and uploaded a photo. Looks like I see a drip from a bolt head but it may just be the lowest point to where the coolant is accumulating. Would it be better to clean up the area and then take another shot to upload?
leak3.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yep, lowest point, coolant collects on that bolt.

Looks like you'll have to disassemble the water pump...
So either mechanical seal, impeller shaft or gaskets are causing leak, make sure that everything is well cleaned and installed.

Use Q tip to clean dowel pin holes, also sand down dowel pins if you see corrosion and burr on them.
Clean surface where gaskets go, fine #0000 steel wool and maybe a bit of polish will do the job.
Check mechanical seal lip if its sitting flush with water pump housing.
Check impeller shaft if its bent (which is unlikely to be a culprit)

Those gaskets/seals are not cheap so be very careful.
I suggest you to get gasket paper and make your own gaskets, way cheaper than OEM stuff and it will perform the same, I did this on all covers on my Vulcan and never had a leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, lowest point, coolant collects on that bolt.

Looks like you'll have to disassemble the water pump...
So either mechanical seal, impeller shaft or gaskets are causing leak, make sure that everything is well cleaned and installed.

Use Q tip to clean dowel pin holes, also sand down dowel pins if you see corrosion and burr on them.
Clean surface where gaskets go, fine #0000 steel wool and maybe a bit of polish will do the job.
Check mechanical seal lip if its sitting flush with water pump housing.
Check impeller shaft if its bent (which is unlikely to be a culprit)

Those gaskets/seals are not cheap so be very careful.
I suggest you to get gasket paper and make your own gaskets, way cheaper than OEM stuff and it will perform the same, I did this on all covers on my Vulcan and never had a leak.
leak4.jpg

Well, I just got done cleaning around down by the water pump assembly area and noticed the leak was coming from between where the engine cover meets the water pump housing cover.

I used OEM gaskets when I assembled it. When I took it apart, the dowels were clean and I used the steel wool to make sure all the of the previous gaskets were removed. Kind of frustrating now.... So it looks like I will go ahead and disassemble it again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 239862
Well, I just got done cleaning around down by the water pump assembly area and noticed the leak was coming from between where the engine cover meets the water pump housing cover.

I used OEM gaskets when I assembled it. When I took it apart, the dowels were clean and I used the steel wool to make sure all the of the previous gaskets were removed. Kind of frustrating now.... So it looks like I will go ahead and disassemble it again.
Is it possible that one of the o-rings on the metal downtube coming from radiator may be bad, causing the leak?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which metal tube? There is one that connects the water pump with cylinders.
And yes, bad oring can cause a leak.

You're right, I messed up, sorry. It is the tube that connects at the cylinder that goes into the water pump. There is an o-ring at both ends and the only other thing I can think of, other than the assembly of the waterpump not being right, is that the o-ring on the end of the tube going into the waterpump housing may be bad.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bad orings can be the culprit. However, you will have to disassemble water pump cover to change those orings.
Get some matching orings from the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2007 Vulcan 500 with 19k miles. It was leaking coolant and was told it needed a new mechanical seal. Replaced it with 2 new gaskets, all OEM, put it all back together with a torque wrench. Went to drive it and while it was sitting, before turning off the ignition I noticed it leaking again from the same place. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed! Thanks a bunch!
I just went through this earlier this summer with my '06 500. Replaced both seals with OEM, torqued to spec, and it was still leaking ever so slightly. I have 2 suggestions:

1. Did you take it for a test ride? Even with it leaking, I did this on someone's suggestion and somehow it equalized the pressure in the system, tightened down the impeller, etc., and it seemed to help.
2. I ended up torquing the cover bolts SLIGHTLY more than what the torque specs said. In my case I think some corrosion on the pins or possibly just the resistance of the new seals was causing my torque wrench to register as "tight enough" when in fact the cover was not on tight enough. That extra quarter turn or so on each of the bolts finally sealed the whole thing up, and now I have zero leaks.

Just a couple of ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts