Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently sheared the head off the coolant drain plug. I've looked around the internet and these forums and saw suggestions on how to remove the remainder. I've only seen general suggestions of using a reverse drill bit or easy-out kit. I was wondering if anybody knew what a good size drill bit and screw extractor to use. The smallest one I could find was 7/64", but I don't know if that is the right size. Also, once (if) I get the broken bit out, I need to replace it. What is the proper size bolt to replace it with? Lastly, is it just the bolt I need to replace or is there some sort of gasket also? This is my first motorcycle and I'm only just getting into trying to learn how to fix it myself. Any information is appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For any interested, I managed to get the broken piece out. I looked around and found that the OEM part for the drain plug called for a 6mmX10mm flange bolt. The 7/64" drill bit (standard titanium bit from Advanced Autoparts) seemed to be a perfect fit. I had to slowly drill away at first because I needed to make sure I stayed as centered as possible. There wasn't much room for error. Once I got it going, it was pretty easy from there. Once I drilled a deep enough hole, I used the 7/64" screw extractor and that grabbed the broken part just fine. After that, I just put in a new 6mm-1.00 X 10mm bolt from Lowe's. To answer my final silly question, there was no need for a gasket. It was just a washer. Problem solved and no leak so far!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts