Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many actually replace the coolant and brake fluid every 2 years as the manual seems to indicate?

The Haynes manual has some steps on flushing the coolant (utilizing a coolant flush fluid), but I'm thinking it should be good enough to simply drain and refill with new coolant if there aren't any issues?

My brake fluid reservoir is full and a light honey color. If the brake doesn't feel mushy or anything, is it necessary?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I plan on doing a full service myself when my bike reaches 30K km in the summer. I bought it at 25K, and just wanted to work the kinks out of it, etc. I am going under the assumption that since I had the original tires (2002 MY), I'd probably have the original coolant and brake fluid, too.

In theory, the brake fluid should not get much moisture in it. However, after 10 years, I'd certainly change it out. If you can afford it, search for a Phoenix Brake Bleeder contraption on eBay. They really do make life easier, and will work on motorcycles as well as cages.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2005 with about 5600 miles. I just bought it and the previous owner has it since like 2007 and said the last service was about 2 years ago and the bike has been sitting for the last year or 2.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
I already changed the brake fluid. Going to tackle the coolant next Saturday after the tires go on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it in good running order?
The bike runs but looks like maintenance hasn't been done in 2 years since it's been kept sitting by the PO.

Bike seems to start, idle, and run fine.

I needed to replace front brake switch, about to replace rear brake cable, cleaned and lubed the chain, and the front fork dust seal is all dry rotted and raised up. I went ahead and finished oil/filter change today. Found a 1/3 or 1/4 of a can of seafoam so dropped it in the tank for insurance.

It just seems like every 2 years is a bit frequent for the brake fluid and coolant when the coolant says 5 years, 150k miles or something like that. I figure it's good to monitor and consider replacing if the bike feels different or the fluids go down. Maybe be guided by the mileage rather than the years?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water from the air. When the pad linings wear down, air is taken in the main resevoir to replace the brake fluid that gets left in the brake cylinders. Considering the specified fluid is DOT 4 (meaning a higher minimum boiling point than usual DOT 3 fluids), and also considering how little fluid it takes to drain and refill, doing it every 2 years is pretty good insurance as it is.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
air is taken in the main resevoir to replace the brake fluid that gets left in the brake cylinders. .
That is not correct.

Master cylinders use a flexible rubber diaphragm type of cover gasket that will flex as the fluid level drops so that NO air is introduced into the system.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. Change brake fluid despite what it "looks" like.
2. Change coolant, but probably no need for a chemical flush unless the old coolant was water.
3. Follow manufacturers recommendations for service as outlined in your owners manual.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1. Change brake fluid despite what it "looks" like.
2. Change coolant, but probably no need for a chemical flush unless the old coolant was water.
3. Follow manufacturers recommendations for service as outlined in your owners manual.
Ok sounds good, sounds easy to just drain and replace fluids.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be sure and perform valve check when it is due.
Yes, I got feeler gauges from servicing my previous bike. Probably at the end of this riding season.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts