Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
changed coolanT (couldn't edit title)to prestone extended life(silicate free) today. $12/gal. undiluted and 88 cents/gal for distilled water. did not remove tank. copied some ones trick. pulled recovery tank bottom hose off, rerouted it and re attached. removed the 2 back tank bolts and could feel the radiator cap. loosened it and opened radiator and w/p drains. to add flush, rinse, coolant, just fill the recov tank and hold it above the level of the tank. cap must be loose. it will fill it slowly and get the air out. re-mount the tank w/ 1 bolt between fills. I randomly opened and closed w/p drain during the fill. after closing drains and warming the bike up, you can see what little trapped air there is bubbling into the tank.
THEN...dobeck gen 3 came in the mail while working on coolant. very easy install. removed the tank to help the install and to check and tighten everything. doesn't matter which set of leads goes to which injector. thought I had an issue cause when I tuned the key on, red and green lights flashed. called dobeck, but closed till Monday. code was a connection issue. after 10 min of reconnecting everything 37 different ways,(blue/grn wire goes to rear injector) I read that it said to START the engine, not just turn the key on. all green lights. tired I guess.
Then decided to install the BAK that came yesterday. straightforward except for what they say about the black crossover tube. had my Rockwell oscillating cutter tool and all kinds of cutters. still took 20 min and a long 1/2 extension driven by a 20 oz. estwing straight claw. (probly some engineer's curse upon whoever thinks his design needs improving on).
runs great now. pulls harder and runs smoother. sounds stronger. instant throttle response. cant stay out of the throttle. dobeck works well on factory setup. I'm sure I will be fine tuning it.
BAK included reed valve blocking plates. will do later. had had enough for the day. a trip around the block cured that quickly. ended up riding for 30 minutes with no side covers and couldn't quit grinning. (I already had hardkrome 2.5" pipes w/ slightly restrictive home made baffles).

·
Registered
894 Posts
Makes me feel a little less dumb, when I installed the EJK also connected, saw the lights indicating a problem with the wiring and took off the tank again to check everything only to realize I had to TURN ON THE BIKE, all green after that. Dobek should make a point of it in the install directions.
The bikeshure runs better with the fuerl manager, you'all find it improves with a little fine tunning, very easy to manage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ejk

I agree. had thought about that. also would be handy to have the factory settings listed on the card. I had changed a few at first and then couldn't remember what the original settings were. the website was down for a few hours and I couldn't get it there. finally the website worked and I wrote them down and put the card in the tool bag. it is very easy to stop anywhere and change a setting. partly why I chose dobeck. a large vet discount and 2 year solid warranty helped also.
took a 90 min ride with my wife through the east tn. mountains sunday evening. she noticed the difference. now I can barely detect a fourth and fifth gear clutch slip on full throttle shifts. looking at the Barnett t-25 spring. cant make it slip once it is engaged. maybe just be a little more civilized? anybody make the clutch spring swap?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I've read on a change of clutch spring using the mean streak spring instead, a lot of good reviews on it, also the addition of washers to make for a more positive clutch action. My clutch has not shown any signs of slipin' yet, when it does that's the way I' m going.
BTW, what you mean by BAK on your first post???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes. looks good and cleaned up the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Them dogbowls are the chrome item that seems to be out of place on the sides, to big and the shape is out of wack, I tried and took the left side off but it look to empty, I guess that's why they sell all those left side covers but to take one cover off just to put another one in did not seem the way to go 4 me.
I started to do the Cadmann mod (per Gadgets site) but the right side was just a lot of detail for the time, I was just getting to know my mule, so I did a left side first with a twist.
It was the first mod I did that mess with the bike operation, had to cut down the back plate to receive the filter that I liked, so after the first cut there was no way back. Took me a few days to get it done (rookie mistake, got started but did not have every thing I needed and no detailed plan on how I was going to get it finished) but I really liked the result, let me keep the air tunnel intact so the air gets warmed b4 it goes into the engine.
Now I'm working on the right side but there is a lot more to deal with if I want to keep the tunnel opperational, started with a regular Cadmann mod but still not happy, will mess a little more with it.
here's a pic of the left side.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I kinda like the stripped down look. but the filter you did looks good too. I thought about ways to use just the right side bowl. thunder mfg wanted more $ for the adapters to use MY cover than the whole barons kit cost. I saw one on e-bay for $100 off cause the packaging was messed up and bought it before it disappeared. the reed valve block offs were also included. I plugged the hose and will deal with them when I have more time.
guess you have plenty of good riding weather there?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Best weather for riding, the only thing that stops me is rain, not even rain itself, more like bad drivers in the rain, seems to bring out the worst in them.

My air intake came in stages, just wanted to let more air in and thought I would just replace the filter with a K&N type within the dog bowl but I found that one for $20 and went for it. Rode for a while like that b4 stating to mess with the right side, now I've already taken off the selenoids, cap the big hose with a marble replace the dogbowl with a 9" black filter (I am not totally convince by the 9' chrome round panel and still thinking on way to replace it) and plan to install coasters eventually. , they don't do smoke test for motorcycles here so I can do away with all the hoses involved.
I am still twiking my EJK, like the response of the throttle but I am smelling some fuel so I guess I'm running a little rich, not the worst thing that can happen, not really in this for the fuel savings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts