Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I currently am running an LED front headlight (always on high) and I want to add more lighting for visibility. I'm steering away from a light bar since I like the look of a single front headlight on the vulcan 900 custom and not sure of modulators yet since it won't work on LED. I saw this product from a local light shop that converts the front stock turning signals into running white LED lights that turn yellow when the turn signal is activated.
What are everyone's thought? Have you seen something like this before? Do you think it will work and add more lighting and viaibility or maybe even replace a light bar?

https://chromeglow.com/products/bulbs-and-clusters/clusters/solar-signals-dual-color-white-amber-led-turn-signal-inserts/

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
It looks like a great idea. However, we need to find out if it will work to replace the Kawasaki turn signal. It says it fits a Harley style turn signal. If it will work, I'll buy one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
SuperBrightLED has orange/white switchback signal lights that I have used in several bikes. You need a clear lens of course to get both colours to function. FYI It is recommended to get bulb same colour as lens to maximize output.

Hi everyone, I currently am running an LED front headlight (always on high) and I want to add more lighting for visibility. I'm steering away from a light bar since I like the look of a single front headlight on the vulcan 900 custom and not sure of modulators yet since it won't work on LED. I saw this product from a local light shop that converts the front stock turning signals into running white LED lights that turn yellow when the turn signal is activated.
What are everyone's thought? Have you seen something like this before? Do you think it will work and add more lighting and viaibility or maybe even replace a light bar?

https://chromeglow.com/products/bulbs-and-clusters/clusters/solar-signals-dual-color-white-amber-led-turn-signal-inserts/

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you mean "High Beam", it might even be illegal.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I just called chrome glow and was told that it would not fit the Kawasaki Nomad 1700. The reason given is that the front lens will not come off. I looked at mine and I think they are correct because the bulb goes in from the back. Looks like you would need to replace the light housing with one that is compatible with HD signals. I took the screw loose that holds the light housing to the bar, but could not find how to remove the housing from the bar. Does anyone know how that works? I couldn't find it in the service manual.

I like the idea because after adding a batwing fairing to my Nomad, there is no room for separate driving lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I meant high beam. Prev owner told me that he was always on high and never had any issues. Its a 200 lumens if that would be overwhelming led brightness? I live in south florida, the highest motorcycle fatalities in the country. I would take the risk of being overseen than getting hit. On daylight it's not that blinding, which is mostly when I plan on riding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If your worried about not being seen then wear highly visible clothing. Making oncoming drivers squint, look away, close their eyes doesn't help you avoid an accident but possibly cause one...

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The OP of this thread asked a question about converting front turn signals to led white lights. While he states that he has his headlights on bright all the time, I doubt he meant to start an argument about that. Instead, I interpreted his statement to mean his headlight is bright during the daytime, which is perfectly legal. You are correct that bright lights have to be dimmed at night when approaching or following a vehicle at certain distances. Perhaps we could stay on topic.

In any event, the product mentioned is a good idea in my opinion, and particularly in my case, because my fairing will not permit the use of a light bar with driving lights and turn signal lights. Having turn signals which are also driving lights is a great idea.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
JonF, what I said about the lights not working with my 2013 Nomad 1700, may not apply to your 2013 Nomad 900. I don't know whether your turn signal lenses can be removed or not. If they can, it might work for you without a problem. With my 1700 the lenses are part of the housing and cannot be removed. I am trying to find a replacement turn signal light I can attach to the bar which will allow me to use it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wasn't trying to start an argument. I was trying to inform a new rider (3 days riding according to his newbie post) what the laws were in his state. He was taking the word of the previous owner and was just trying to help... From now on I will keep my comments, advice and 20+ years riding experience to myself...

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
As far as I am concerned, your comments are welcome. It is just that it was not exactly on the topic of the thread. Your 20+ years of riding experience entitle you to your thoughts, just as my 45+ years of riding experience entitle me to my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts

There are headlight modulators that work with LED headlights. Kisan makes one (model P115W) specifically for LED headlights and it works within the Federal guidelines, so it is legal everywhere in the US (in spite of what some Floriduh HP officers say). I have an older one (slightly different model number) but it works great. There are others out there, too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to chrome glow and got the front turn signals changed to LED with dual colors white running/bet turn. I needed a load equalizer and clear lens as well. They look great just like the video. They had to slightly modify the attachments so that it fit flushed. Good thing I let them install it. Took eless than 30 mins. Here's the link to the video, I'm having a hard time takling pics with my phone. I'll try again later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love the look of the LED running lights that change orange for turn signals. I bought a set from Custom Dynamics as well as a set of red running lights for the back that switch to yellow with blinker recently. They come with the proper plug and play set up for kawasaki vulcan 900s as well as equalizer for about $200. The should be here Tuesday and hopefully put in by the end of the week. Weather here in New York has been cold and rainy but I would like to get out and get some riding in!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love the look of the LED running lights that change orange for turn signals. I bought a set from Custom Dynamics as well as a set of red running lights for the back that switch to yellow with blinker recently. They come with the proper plug and play set up for kawasaki vulcan 900s as well as equalizer for about $200. The should be here Tuesday and hopefully put in by the end of the week. Weather here in New York has been cold and rainy but I would like to get out and get some riding in!
Paul,
Please update the thread on this purchase when you get a chance. This looks interesting to me as a safety upgrade! Would love to hear about installation process, your perceptions of the final product, how easy / hard it was to accomplish, and a link to the item!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts