Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of trading my Nomad for a ragtop Thunderbird. 4 bikes, 47 years riding turning 60, feel like law of averages may catch up with me, wife doesn't care to ride & wants me safe, 33000 on the bike riding daily, traffic worse & more drivers staring at phones, 32000 on a mint red Tbird. Hmm, can I stand not riding??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
It sounds like you and she might enjoy that car together and she will not be worrying about you. That counts for a lot. It sounds like a fun car. You can put the keys on a Kawasaki keychain, or sneak a green pinstripe on it somewhere.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you feel the time is right to hangup riding you probably should. No sense doing something just because it's something you've always done.
Hey, you can always jump back in if you change your mind. Enjoy what you do.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I've been saying for years that when I was done riding I would pick up a small 2 seater. At 63 I'm just not ready to give it up yet. Just stepped up to a Vaquero from my 10 yr old 900 last August.

Unfortunately, the only way to know if you can give it up is to give it up. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah.....I have thought that when I am ready to give up on two wheels, I will get some little ragtop to play with. But depending on how things go (I turn 65 end of May), perhaps a Can Am might be a transition from 2 wheels to a ragtop. Biggest thing now is the weight of the Voyager. It is fine when I am heading down the road. But getting on and off and stops and starts sometimes hard on my creaky knees. But still sure enjoy the open on road on 2 wheels and will continue as long as I feel comfortable.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer wouldn't bargain on my Kaw, so no deal. BUT, I know I'm happier still riding!
Love it!

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Dealer wouldn't bargain on my Kaw, so no deal. BUT, I know I'm happier still riding!
Love it!

Good decision.

At 71 I downsized to a 900. But I try to avoid city traffic, luckily where I live I can do that during the week. Too many tourists and sport bikes out on the weekend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jeez - don't you guys know 60 is the new 45? :smile2: I've been riding since I was 13, and am closing in on 61, but plan on keeping fit and expect to keep riding until my mid-70s at least.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Jeez - don't you guys know 60 is the new 45? :smile2: I've been riding since I was 13, and am closing in on 61, but plan on keeping fit and expect to keep riding until my mid-70s at least.
AMEN! Brother!

I celebrated my 60th in January with a trip to Colorado for Snowboarding.

"Old enough to know better, too young to care!"

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm celebrating my recent 60th birthday by winding back the clock 23 years... I'm half way through ten weeks back at the sharpest end of policing - in the general duties branch, working a 24hr / 7 day roster that sees me back in the 2-man "I-car" attending critical incidents.

Three things I've learned so far...

1. Technology has changed over these last 23 years.
2. I am not as fit as I once was. Fights hurt now.
3. I take much longer to recover from night shifts than I used to.

But it's also very nice to take a step or two back in time to remind me what it's all about, and my offering to help out at a time of need (staff shortages) seems to have earned me a new level of respect from my younger colleagues, and also from our customers. The next generation of criminals seems to mostly remember me from the old days... We still deal with the same families. That's a bit sad eh?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts