Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all , new to the forum b/c I'm thinking about purchasing a new 07 VN2K but I'm a little concerned about a few issues about which I've read in my research -- namely , back wheel/belt chirp and oil leaks . Are these common problems , and are there any other ? Also , I know the bike has hydraulic lifters but are they 100% maintenance free ? The reason I ask is that the big Yamaha cruisers have hydraulic but still need to be inspected every 20,000KM . Thanks .

·
Registered
56 Posts
oil leaks huh.......

I sure hope not. have only had mine a short time, bought my 04 with 493 miles on it and have only 1100 or so now. haven't seen any leaks but it's still a new bike really. I'd be reluctant to buy new since there are so many low mileage used ones out there. people who buy them and find out their too big and heavy and then want to bail on em. on Craigslist fresno there is an 04 2000 with 5000 miles for $5900 that you could most likely grab up for $5000 or less. I like the bike myself, definately has that big bike feel and look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply . I'm considering new b/c used moto prices up here in Canada aren't much lower . I am shocked at some of the prices on barely used V2K's in the US ; indeed , many people must consider the bike just too big . Kaw Canada hasn't even imported the monster for the last 2 years .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I previously owned a 2006 Roadstar 1700 and now own a 2008 V2K LT Classic and there simply is no comparison. The V2K I have has had absolutely no problems with oil leaks or for that matter any kind of problems at all. I have experienced no wheel/belt chirp with mine and I ride extensively year round. I have been racing/riding for 39 years and the
V2K is simply the best bike I have ever owned.
Ride With The Son-
Steve-PCSO159

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear that your 08 has been trouble-free . In addition to the 07 I'm looking at , I just found a new red/black 05 SE model which is beautiful with the extra chrome . Close to making a deal , they just have to come down a little more on the price . Hopefully it'll work out b/c I really like the SE . Canadian prices start out so high--MSRP of $21000 for the 05 SE (!!)-- that one must really be patient until reality sets in with the dealers .

·
Registered
81 Posts
2006 vn2K classic LT put 28000 kms on the bike since May 2007 and not a hint of an oil leak. Live in Calgary AB and store the bike outside during the winter (25-30 C below) need the garage for my mustang restoration project. When I fired the bike up this spring it had very noisy lifters and it took about a 10 km ride to smooth it out. I run synthetic and changed it before winter storage so not sure why the noise, but all is OK?? Yes have had the chirpping belt, for me it has been a matter of having the right tension on the belt to eliminate it. The belt wants to be quite tight to eliminate the sound, but you need to ensure you don't over tighten as I hear it may cause damage to the transmission output shaft bearings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yikes!! $21k??

well, you could take a southern California vacation flight and buy a new 05 or 06 2000 for $8k out the door including tax, license and still have money left over right? just gotta un-California emmision it. there's a low mileage 2000 on Craigslist Fresno for $5900, we need to get into the motorcycle import/export biz!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well, you could take a southern California vacation flight and buy a new 05 or 06 2000 for $8k out the door including tax, license and still have money left over right? just gotta un-California emmision it. there's a low mileage 2000 on Craigslist Fresno for $5900, we need to get into the motorcycle import/export biz!
I was seriously considering importing BMW bikes from the US into Canada about 6 years ago when prices here for the German Motorad were literally double compared to prices in the States , but they've become closer of late . For the 2005 V2K , the Canadian MSRP is 31.25% higher which isn't too bad considering the currency exchange rate , BUT b/c the moto market is so much bigger south of the border , US SALE prices are wonderfully silly as you've indicated . I just may get one from Buffalo and ride it to Ontario .

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've Got TWO and I live in Canada...and quite simply...it's they best bike I've ever owned... the only issue I ever had was that I had to pull back the seat cover and grind down a hump that hits your tailbone on iron butt rides , other than that... Absolutely NO ISSUES... I did upgrade to V&H pipes , just for fun.. but you'll never regret having one..
Kind of fun when you pull in and people say..."is that really 2000cc's?":D

·
Registered
56 Posts
u go girl.....

yea, even harley folk take a real good look at these. the 2000 is a much better bike, have a fuel controller, big air kit and pipes and it does scoot right along! be safe out there Miss Siren.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks

You are absolutely right, and truthfully I considered a Harley when I was looking for the first bike in 07, and for $20,000 I could have had a bottom of the line Harley or a top of the line Kawasaki....clearly a no brainer and never a dissapointing day in between! I definately made the right choice..

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Hon...
V2K is the way to go....great bike.
Dunno about the issues you list, no problem on mine.....but I would take a long test ride and check out the gearing and shift points. V2Ks rev higher for a given road MPH....you may miss having a 6th gear. I have adapted but it is a louder and higher revving engine.

Annie

Hi all , new to the forum b/c I'm thinking about purchasing a new 07 VN2K but I'm a little concerned about a few issues about which I've read in my research -- namely , back wheel/belt chirp and oil leaks . Are these common problems , and are there any other ? Also , I know the bike has hydraulic lifters but are they 100% maintenance free ? The reason I ask is that the big Yamaha cruisers have hydraulic but still need to be inspected every 20,000KM . Thanks .

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my 2004 V2k used with just over 4,000 miles. I was a little concerned with the weight and size, but after riding it for a while, I love it. As far as belt chirping, I asked Kawasaka dealer about that, and they thought if it sat too much that would happen. If I couldn't live with it,either have it changed, or try putting some belt dressing on it. I did neither. Just doesn't seem to bother me at all. I agree buying used is the way to go. I paid $5,400 for mine, and it included a T-Bag, Large engine guard, back rest, and a chrome radiator cover. I thought I did well.

Have no oil leaks. When I had the dealer change the oil, one of the three drain plugs had a crack, and may have been dropping a touch. Replaced the plus, and everything seems fine. Possibly the oil leakers may be caused by overfilling. As everybody knows, it is very easy to overfill.

George

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ive had my 08 V2K for about a month and a half now and put on close to two thousand miles and no problems at all. Added Cobra pipes with fuel processor and bike runs great. No leaking at all, bought bike new as a left over and absolutly love the bike. Was on my brothers Harley, full dress police bike, one of the few electroglides the police used and the bike felt tiny. I felt too close to the bars, like the bike wasnt long enough. Makes me really appriciate the size of my classic LT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I was looking for my V2K out here in California, I made sure that it was original, and no pipe mods. Previous to that I bought a Nomad that was really nice, but it had Vance & Hines pipes w/o a Power Commander. Was going to cost me $800 to have dealer install, map and dyno it. Thought that was high, so I sold it right a way. Glad I did, because I found a real nice V2K, and it is not the classic model. I think some of the low prices for last years models are classics, which are around $800 less than the Vulcan 2000.

Out here in California, you never know when they are going to require motorcycle smog checks. They have been talking about it, but nothing yet.

George

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I was looking for my V2K out here in California, I made sure that it was original, and no pipe mods. Previous to that I bought a Nomad that was really nice, but it had Vance & Hines pipes w/o a Power Commander. Was going to cost me $800 to have dealer install, map and dyno it. Thought that was high, so I sold it right a way. Glad I did, because I found a real nice V2K, and it is not the classic model. I think some of the low prices for last years models are classics, which are around $800 less than the Vulcan 2000.

Out here in California, you never know when they are going to require motorcycle smog checks. They have been talking about it, but nothing yet.

George
Power commanders are about 300.00 and go on in minutes. The tunes on it are already dyno'd for your bike. You can use other tunes through your laptop. Dont have to have it dyno'd unless you rally want to. 800 is high, you can have it done for much less. With a modified exhaust, it can be changed back to stock in no time at all as long as you have the stock pipes which is real easy to do. Here in N.Y. everyone runs modified exhaust, but usually keep our stock exhaust just in case. My FI2000R is a plug and play fuel mod which goes on and off in minutes. I opted for the classic LT because I got the 08 left over this year for 9400 which comes complete with bags, wind screen and back rest which would cost 2k to accesorize yourself. If you like the stripped down cruiser look, go for the non classic but if you want a light tourer with the more classic look and comes complete, I recommend the classic LT. Its all a matter of prefrence, if you get the non LT model, it will cost you more in the long run to try and match bags, shield and back rest so you will save money by getting the LT if your going to ride distance.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My cut on this debate is that it is best to get the Classic. Not true it costs you more.

I dont like the bags on the LT. I didnt like the seat on the LT. I dont like the big KAwasaki ad on the front of the windshield. I didnt want a sissy bar.
Why would I buy those things for $3000 more on the LT?

I bought the stripped down Classic for $9,000 when the LT model was advertized for $15,000 (and told me $12,000 OTD).....which is the same engine and frame just waiting for the accessories I want on it. I am almost done now and have spent less than $2500 more....and I have the setup I want... not Kawasaki's.

National cycle classic windshield and lowers $500
Cobra Fatty bar $200
color matched hardbags $750
ISO grips and pegs $150
Russell seat coming this summer... $600

I opted for the classic LT because I got the 08 left over this year for 9400 which comes complete with bags, wind screen and back rest which would cost 2k to accesorize yourself. If you like the stripped down cruiser look, go for the non classic but if you want a light tourer with the more classic look and comes complete, I recommend the classic LT. Its all a matter of prefrence, if you get the non LT model, it will cost you more in the long run to try and match bags, shield and back rest so you will save money by getting the LT if your going to ride distance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You are absolutely right, and truthfully I considered a Harley when I was looking for the first bike in 07, and for $20,000 I could have had a bottom of the line Harley or a top of the line Kawasaki....clearly a no brainer and never a dissapointing day in between! I definately made the right choice..
The only problem i see with that statement is the fact that our bikes dont hold value any where NEAR as well as a harley does, which sucks! I plan on keeping both my vulcans for a loooooong time tho, so it doesnt really matter. Eventually i'll be on a harley, as soon as i have the money to throw down on a screamin eagle built bike, those are titts if you ask me!

·
Registered
305 Posts
My cut on this debate is that it is best to get the Classic. Not true it costs you more.

I dont like the bags on the LT. I didnt like the seat on the LT. I dont like the big KAwasaki ad on the front of the windshield. I didnt want a sissy bar.
Why would I buy those things for $3000 more on the LT?

I bought the stripped down Classic for $9,000 when the LT model was advertized for $15,000 (and told me $12,000 OTD).....which is the same engine and frame just waiting for the accessories I want on it. I am almost done now and have spent less than $2500 more....and I have the setup I want... not Kawasaki's.

National cycle classic windshield and lowers $500
Cobra Fatty bar $200
color matched hardbags $750
ISO grips and pegs $150
Russell seat coming this summer... $600
Once again " its a personal prefrence" This was originally a comparison of the regular V2K compared to the Classic LT. Kawasaki does a good job at matching their accesories to the bike. I dont mind the Vulcan symbol on the windshield because "Im riding a Vulcan" dont want to disguise bike to be something its not, otherwise I would have bought another bike. My price was 9400.00 for everything new, leftover from 08. Seems like your at around 11,500 or so. Im clearly stating to the other posters on this thread that its about a 1500.00 diffrence to have it the way Kawi does the LT. compared to the regular bike and put on the add ons costs you about what you spent. Granted you did what you like, you dont like the Kawi shield or backrest but doesnt mean someone else wont. Personally I love the LT and economically the bike was put together well. Bags are very high quality as is the rest of the accesories. At my shop the classic was 8000 and the LT 9400 for 08 leftovers. 1400.00 for my accesories by Kawi. On my own would have been at least 1000 more. You guys do the math.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts