Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Might be the speakers and just my opinion but it sounds similar to stock.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
918 Posts
Might be the speakers and just my opinion but it sounds similar to stock.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I don't think it's you. It sounds like stock pipes. If you are looking for the best bang for your buck, try Barons Hack N' Slash slip-on mufflers. I got mine on Amazon for $265.00 and they sound AWESOME! Install isn't too hard. I used a hacksaw to cut the stock mufflers off and that took most of the time. Barons also makes a full kit with the same mufflers. They are still cheaper than other big brand names and sound great!

Here's a video from the day I installed them:
. I get a big cheesy grin every time I watch this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestion, however the reality is I live in very rural Maine so I cant have pipes that loud or I will be targeted by local law enforcement lol. The Leo Vince look and sound nice, and the current pipes on my bike are not in the greatest shape due to some scrape damage and rust that was there before i bought it.....I would be happy with a lot of the aftermarket systems if I could tone them down close to stock noise levels but it isnt easy or cheap. Cobra and V&H have quiet baffles but once you buy them and install them the price difference from the LV set is almost nil and I like the looks of the LV best....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well here is my 2 cents. I think the noise level would be very similar to the stock pipes debaffled. Since your current pipes are not in good shape play with them some. Drill the rivets. drill some holes in there. I honestly did not think the full debaffle (remove the baffle) wasn't to loud. Louder yes but not as loud as cobra or van and hines. Has a good tone as well.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well here is my 2 cents. I think the noise level would be very similar to the stock pipes debaffled. Since your current pipes are not in good shape play with them some. Drill the rivets. drill some holes in there. I honestly did not think the full debaffle (remove the baffle) wasn't to loud. Louder yes but not as loud as cobra or van and hines. Has a good tone as well.
Before I installed the current mufflers, I took a long rod and punched the inner baffle plate. Still sounds stock until the bike warms up and you get on it. Punching out the inner baffle plate added some grunt to the tone.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Not just punching it remove it. It was a while ago since I did mine. Its like drill out the 3 rivets on back. cut off a piece of pipe take a 1 5/8 hole saw. I think. Cut the plate around the pipe you just cut then a 3 inch or 2 7/8 hole saw. Biggest hole saw you can fit in there. Get that plate out. The on everyone drills 8 holes in. Then get a broom handle or something shove in there and wiggle it all over the place until the welds brake and pull it out. It took me about 30-40 minutes to do it. I also painted the inside with some high temp black paint. Here is a good video of one done. There are plenty of video on this there is a complete write up some where.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=debaffled+vulcan+900&&view=detail&mid=7236EA0010F5C92D24437236EA0010F5C92D2443&FORM=VRDGAR

here this lady get you to 8 holes. 8 holes is about the same noise level but removing the baffle. I think it is a deeper and better sound.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+full+debaffled+vulcan+900&&view=detail&mid=FA4810F036E50D532ECFFA4810F036E50D532ECF&FORM=VRDGAR

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great suggestions but since my pipes are scraped, dinged, rusted in places, and not the original equipment replacement is necessary to get it looking right. I would try some of these drilling or baffle removal tricks if I could get a pristine set of originals.

The prior owner bought the bike with Cobra pipes already installed, and the wife hated the loudness. I dont think at the time there was an affordable quiet baffle available for them. He didnt have the originals to swap them out, so he got what appears to be an older model Vulcan 1500 set to replace them. It runs super. I think the pipes breathe better than original just like the Cobra set did, which is why there was no issue with swapping them. I'm not sure the headers were replaced due to the not so great upper muffler alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
hmm I am starting to see a bigger picture here. There probably some one on here that would give/sell cheap there factory pipes. Maybe try posting a wanted add here and see. The shipping cost might suck. Also you might run into some bracket issues and maybe not. The cobra quite baffles really are not quite. Its take just a bit off for the highway riding not a big difference. I have watched a few videos of the silver tail and I think You have found a good option for your situation. I didn't look to see what they cost though.

Did you get the cobra pipes then?? If so you could quite them down some by wrapping the baffles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking about the ad actually, great minds think alike. Does anyone know if the stock exhaust is in sections or all one piece? If taking them apart is possible shipping may be a lot easier and cheaper.

The prior owner sold the Cobra pipes well before I took the bike off his hands. I am actually glad he swapped them, the current setup is as quiet as a stock exhaust. I can at least ride and enjoy the bike and pass inspection ugly as they are lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would also buy the Leo Vince for my 900, but I don't see a vendor in the US that carries them. If you find out who has them please let me know.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The stock pipes are basically one whole pipe. The front is a pipe and the rear is a pipe. There is a cross over tube in there though. so you could separate the 2. Oh and there are 2 heat shields

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks to the wanted ad idea, i just scored a set of stock pipes from a 2007 Vulcan 900 with only 1000 miles on them here in my home state! Now I get to do the excellent baffle drilling suggestion too! You guys rock, thanks!

Vince

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts