Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I used to be a Vaquero owner before an accident. Now i'm considering a Voyager. It seems to be the same bike with all the touring farkles i want. I have also considered a Harley Ultra Glide. Can anyone give me any reviews of the voyager that are actually realistic? Most web sites suck. My stealer has a 2014 new for 15k.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
What is it you want to learn? If you've owned a Vaquero, then you've almost owned a Voyager. It'll be a little more top heavy than your Vaquero, and the larger lower fairings will provide more wind protection. Potentially, at low speeds, you might get more leg heat as well because of the larger lower fairings.

Other than that it's the same bike.

Ultra Classics are nice bikes too. That was on my list as well. There's a member around here who owns one of the newer ones. And a few Road Kings, Road Glides, etc., as well which are the same platform. What made me decide on the Vaquero over the Harley was ultimately styling (I really prefer the looks of the Vulcan, especially the dash), price, and ultimately ride quality. While both are smooth at speed, I didn't care for the Harley's heavy vibrations at low speeds and at idle. It gave me a lot of leg heat, which I really didn't like. And it didn't have quite as good of a suspension. I felt, of the two, the Vulcan was a better all-day bike.

You can't go wrong with either. Add a Road Glide to your list. It has a frame mounted fairing like the Vulcan. If I went with a Harley, that's probably what I'd end up with. After riding both I really preferred the frame mounted fairing. The batwing looks cool but the frame mounted Road Glide fairing, and Vulcan fairing alike, afforded no buffeting and didn't yank on the bars in heavy wind. It's the way to go, IMHO.

I thought the stereo on the Vaq was better, but that's an easy upgrade on the Harley. And the 2014+ models have bluetooth and other features, I believe the CB radio comes standard, whereas it's a $700 option on the Voyager (but, that's kind of moot; because you'd save a couple grand going with the Vulcan). I also like that the 2014+ Harley's can even have on board navigation. But, to be honest, I've never been impressed with onboard navigation from anyone. Cars or otherwise. Outdated maps, poor directions, slow, etc. Granted, I haven't used Harley's, but BMW's sucks, Ford's sucks, Cadillac's sucks, Honda (Goldwing) sucks, so my hopes aren't high for H-D. I just use my phone anyway. Always up-to-date maps.

I really don't think you could get wrong with either. The cons on the Harley I could live with. I would be "happy" if it was sitting in my garage right now. But I liked the Vulcan just a little bit better. And it would be insane to spend more money on a bike I didn't like quite as much! So, there's a gorgeous orange Vaq in my garage!

Plenty of Voyager owners here. Some love them, some hate them. And you'll find that with the H-D too. I can point you to a group of guys who think that an Ultra Classic is the example of a perfect motorcycle and a group of guys who think their Ultra they formerly owned was the single worst decision they ever made and they were so happy to get rid of it.

I suggest riding them both. If you're leaning towards the Harley, take advantage of their rental program. You pay a few hundred bucks (with insurance and everything) to rent the bike you want, and if you end up buying a new bike, they refund the rental fee. IMHO, if I was about to pull the trigger on a Harley, I would absolutely do that. You know a lot more about a bike after you've spent a few hours with it. And if you find out you don't like it, you're out a few hundred instead of 20 grand. If you find out you love it, you aren't out a penny!

And for riding the Voyager, find a demo ride or call around and find dealers that will let you test ride. Most reputable dealers will, if you've got experience and a motorcycle endorsement.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Before buying my 2011 Voyager, I tested the Ultra Classic and Ultra Road Glides. It came down to the Voyager and Road Glide - I like the frame mounted fairing, and the Voyager and Road Glide didn't seem as cramped as the UC (Feet felt pinned in). So between the Road Glide and Voyager - Very similar rides, To me the Road Glide seat was more comfy, handling was about the same, but the Road Glide had a little better (seat of the pants) acceleration and brakes. Knowing that on any bike the stock seat is always the first to go, I cancelled that and it came down to - Is the extra "seat of the pants" acceleration and slightly stronger brakes worth the extra $8K. I knew that I could have the seat changed, get the CB installed, and do a big 3 mod that would bring the Voyager past the Road Glide in performance. So for the Voyager + about $1,500 I got an RDL seat, RacnRays throttle mod, Big Air Kit, exhaust, fuel processor and CB radio installed . . . That extra $6,500 in my pocket pays for a lot of gas for my rides! 31,000 miles later I am still happy with my choice - Getting ready to add 2,000 miles this week and prepping for an 8,000 mile ride later this year . . .

That will put her at 41,000 miles - Overall at the pump, I've been averaging 36 mpg - That puts me just under 1,140 gallons of gas - With the fluctuations in gas prices over the last 4 years - I'll uses $3/gallon as an average - so I have spent about $3,420 in gas - add to that two sets of Michelin Commander II's, oil changes and other maintenance - I figure I'll be approaching the acquisition price of the Ultra Road Glide in another two years or 25,000 miles - So my bottom line is that an Ultra Road Glide = a Voyager modded to preference + about 65,000 miles . . . which, if I get those mile in before July 2017, will all be done while the bike is covered by warranty . . .

Given the choice between the Voyager and anything in the HD line up - I'd make the same choice again.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Actually Napom that's a good point too. The Kawasaki warranty is longer than any of the competitors, at 3 years. Inexpensive extended warranties are available too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All,
I popped on the 2014 Voyager. I'm breaking her in now. I think she needs more air. I assume it's better to break her in and THEN put pipes and a new breather.... thoughts?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks All,
I popped on the 2014 Voyager. I'm breaking her in now. I think she needs more air. I assume it's better to break her in and THEN put pipes and a new breather.... thoughts?
Lots of schools of thought on this one. Lots of people like to leave their bike stock for the first 1,000 miles or so. Don't wanna upset the balance or the feng shui of the engine or something. I dunno.

Personally, I don't know what an air cleaner and exhaust system could do to ring seating and other break in. Plenty of OEM's offer these accessories as dealer installs from the factory. Chances are, if you'd asked (and ponied up the cash), the dealer would've put them on for you before you took delivery.

But if it makes you feel better to wait, then wait!

If you're doing an air cleaner and pipes, you also need a fuel processor. If you really want it to run well and make the best power, after break-in have it dyno'ed with your pipes, intake, and fuel processor installed. Get things adjusted right and with hard numbers instead of just "seat of the pants" feel.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Congrats on the new bike.. lets see it?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Looks great!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
SF, looks great....