Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I currently ride a 2009 900 classic and I really like the way it handles. But I'm 6' 250 and need a little more guts when riding 2up with the wife.

The local dealership has a used 2009 1700 Classic LT with 2400 miles on it. He's asking for $10,000.

The bike looks to be in really good shape, and the previous owner added a Kawasaki light bar that really looks good on it. The salesman there sold me my 900 a year ago and will set me up for a test ride of the machine, so I am really considering it.

Anyway, I was just trying to get an idea if what he is asking is reasonable for that bike. Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought my 2009 Vulcan 1700 Classic LT last week. It had 550 miles on it because the guy bought it in 2010, rode it a little (his first bike) and then almost wrecked it. Scared him and he sold it back to the dealer. It was not wrecked and in perfect, like new condition. They did the 600 mile fluid change and I got it for $8000 even. I would say that price is a little high. I must say though, so far I LOVE the bike. I immediately put the KN air filter, VH pipes and the Cobra fuel processor in it. I would recommend doing something like that (the big 3) if you get it because it is really backed up and needs to be opened up. It handles great for a bigger bike. Good luck on the new purchase!

·
Registered
109 Posts
ATC1700 got a great deal on his bike. Kelley Blue Book has a value of a tad over $10k for a 2009 LT in excellent condition, and that would be with 10,000 miles. NADA has a value of around $9.6k. So they are in the ballpark with what you're looking at. It has a lot less miles so that can justify the price somewhat.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2009/kawasaki/vulcan-1700-classic-lt/253787/

That being said, the guides aren't absolute; they're just guides. With the economy the way it is; make them an offer of what you think is fair. I wouldn't offer more than the $9.6k that NADA shows; I'd offer less but a serious offer:D. I got my Nomad new for $13k out the door back in June (prep, taxes and reg included). You won't know until you ask.

I had a 900C and upgraded for the same reason. It was fine for me, but 2-up it just didn't cut it. I'm thrilled with the Nomad. It handles like a dream and I barely notice the wife on the back. You won't be disappointed. I saw Kawasaki was offering 1.95% financing for 60 months if you act before the end of August. I thought I did good with 3.99% back in June. For that rate you may be able to swing a new one if you were financing the used one. Used rates are pretty stiff. Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That price is too high.I have same and it has all kinds of power.I weigh 220 and my wife weighs 105.Doesn't even phase it.Very comfortable on a 4500 mile trip.Actually better than my Gold Wing was.
Go for it

·
Registered
23 Posts
ATC1700 got a great deal on his bike. Kelley Blue Book has a value of a tad over $10k for a 2009 LT in excellent condition, and that would be with 10,000 miles. NADA has a value of around $9.6k. So they are in the ballpark with what you're looking at. It has a lot less miles so that can justify the price somewhat.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2009/kawasaki/vulcan-1700-classic-lt/253787/

That being said, the guides aren't absolute; they're just guides. With the economy the way it is; make them an offer of what you think is fair. I wouldn't offer more than the $9.6k that NADA shows; I'd offer less but a serious offer:D. I got my Nomad new for $13k out the door back in June (prep, taxes and reg included). You won't know until you ask.

I had a 900C and upgraded for the same reason. It was fine for me, but 2-up it just didn't cut it. I'm thrilled with the Nomad. It handles like a dream and I barely notice the wife on the back. You won't be disappointed. I saw Kawasaki was offering 1.95% financing for 60 months if you act before the end of August. I thought I did good with 3.99% back in June. For that rate you may be able to swing a new one if you were financing the used one. Used rates are pretty stiff. Good luck.
That's true, I did get a good deal on my bike, but the dealer had it listed at 9400. Remember two things are on your side..

1. Like "mrspock" said it is a tough economy and 'official values' don't mean a whole lot.
2. This time of year (the fall) is a BUYERS market. They don't want the bike sitting around all winter because they lose money the more it sits.
3. The bike is used so you have more power with negotiation. You can always find something slightly wrong with a used bike and pretend like its sort of a big deal. Negotiate down to a good price using things like "The bikes tires were made in 08 so I'm gonna have that as a maintenance cost, even if they have good tread left they have to be replaced", and "There are small scratches in the paint." or "You never know how it has been ridden."

And again like spock said, with financing on a new bike being so low these days, calculate out total cost when the bike is paid off and show them the final total cost of ownership to you of a new one at a lower rate then an older one at a higher rate. More negotiating power! Just make them think that you aren't as in love with the bike as you really are :D and you will be just fine. They probably have 7500 to 8000 in the bike and you could get it for just over 8k if you negotiate them hard down to 9k even, but then walk out of the dealer once and go home. He who is willing to walk away comes out ahead.

Oh and once you have settled on a price you are ok with, still act unsure and ask for accessories to be thrown in or some store credit on a gift card or somethin to sweeten the deal =) Nothin like a free T-shirt and the first oil change free! :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you trade your 900 in on the Nomad? I've been looking at left over 2010 and found one in NJ at $10,000 with 6,000 miles but can't unload mine yet. Wondering what a good trade-in value is against the Nomad

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't traded my 900 in yet. If the dealer still has the bike next week, I'll probably stop in and work on a better price. I have to admit that I prefer the look of my 900 without saddlebags, but want a 1700.

If the bike hasn't been dropped (it looked ok but you never can tell) I am confident of it's overall quality/workmanship. But it will probably not have any warranty left on it other than whatever short peroid the dealership covers for it. Maybe I can talk the dealer into a couple years of coverage for it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Riston, yes I did trade the 900 on the Nomad and got $4k for it. Dealer sold it in a week for $4.5k and was asking $4.8. The Nomad was discounted more than $3k off of list so I couldn't complain about trade-in as it was still more than what Kelley or NADA indicated as trade-in value. I couldn't justify the Nomad without getting rid of the Custom so it was easy to to take the trade-in value they gave me.

mmlanes, the 1700LT comes with a 24 month factory warranty when new. Depending upon when the bike was originally sold, there may still be some warranty left and Kawasaki/dealer should transfer the remainder to you. Worst case is make a deal for a discounted extended warranty, the dealer makes a god chunk of change for signing you up for one so there is a lot of wiggle room.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Test rode the '09 1700 Classic LT today. Overall, it was pretty impressive.
Compared to my '09 900 Classic the 1700 LT:
Was noticably heavier (obviously)
Accelerated more smoothly (electronic throttle?)
Put off more heat (larger engine)
Had a little less torque
Rode smoother
Had a much nicer instrument cluster; including a gear position indicator, fuel computer, etc.(I still prefer the look of the spedometer on the 900)
Has a stock seat like a rock (been riding with a Mustang seat on my 900)
Had a nice windshield but really needed lowers.
Had all the power I wanted or needed
Vibrated noticably between 70 and 80 (according to the spedo) when in 6th gear. Seemed to smooth out at 80.
Very easy to maneuver at low speed/in parking lot (suprised by this -- better than my 900)

Cons: Has no warranty left on it, so all repairs are on me
Has permanently mounted saddlebags (not really into the bagger look)
Isn't as pretty as my red 900
Has a bigger feel to it (I'll get used to it)

Pros: Has the better 2-up capability I'm looking for without sacrificaing TOO much of the smaller bike fun I get with the 900.
Low mileage (now 2487)
I can improve the wind and the comfort with aftermarket accessories.

Bottom line: If I can get a decent interest rate from the bank, and if I can get them to budge another $500 (what I'm upside down on my 900) cut, I'll probably make it happen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you make it so. Was it the blue or green.

mmlanes I have the blue, 2009 lt. Haven t had one second of problems with it.
Test rode the '09 1700 Classic LT today. Overall, it was pretty impressive.
Compared to my '09 900 Classic the 1700 LT:
Was noticably heavier (obviously)
Accelerated more smoothly (electronic throttle?)
Put off more heat (larger engine)
Had a little less torque
Rode smoother
Had a much nicer instrument cluster; including a gear position indicator, fuel computer, etc.(I still prefer the look of the spedometer on the 900)
Has a stock seat like a rock (been riding with a Mustang seat on my 900)
Had a nice windshield but really needed lowers.
Had all the power I wanted or needed
Vibrated noticably between 70 and 80 (according to the spedo) when in 6th gear. Seemed to smooth out at 80.
Very easy to maneuver at low speed/in parking lot (suprised by this -- better than my 900)

Cons: Has no warranty left on it, so all repairs are on me
Has permanently mounted saddlebags (not really into the bagger look)
Isn't as pretty as my red 900
Has a bigger feel to it (I'll get used to it)

Pros: Has the better 2-up capability I'm looking for without sacrificaing TOO much of the smaller bike fun I get with the 900.
Low mileage (now 2487)
I can improve the wind and the comfort with aftermarket accessories.

Bottom line: If I can get a decent interest rate from the bank, and if I can get them to budge another $500 (what I'm upside down on my 900) cut, I'll probably make it happen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Obumer, that's good to hear. I'm picking mine up tomorrow at lunchtime. Looking forward to putting some miles on her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts