Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this part of the forum but I've got a contract on a 2014 Nomad 1700 with 2200 miles.

Any glitches or problems with the 1700 Nomads? I know of the recall for the key switch wire chafe. Any other recalls or issues?

It's located far away and I'm going to have it shipped if the numbers work out on a trade. I hate not doing a test ride but I'm getting a very good deal and will take a chance. I currently own a Vulcan 900 and want ABS and other than a Versys 1000 I can't get it in a "touring" bike. (I know Connie is one) Cruise Control is the deal maker (not breaker) for me. I've got such bad arthritis that I have to sometimes stop and take a break it hurts so much.

I've owned a Thunderbird 1600 so think I can handle the weight. It is going to be used for long distance trips and the times my wife does not want to ride. The Vaquero was too much stuff for me and the Classes no hard bags.

Only downside I see is from what I read crappy fuel mileage and small tank and the engine needs to have revs up?
MY wife rides a Vulcan 650 so I thought it would be good to stay Vulcan.

My other choice is a BMW RT but not for this forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought a brand new 2014 Kawasaki Nomad 1700, it was leftover stock at the dealer. The only issue I had was the fuel pump went out after about 350 miles. I researched it and found it was not a common issue. The dealer repaired it no problem under warranty! It's a very sweet ride!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey good idea. Extended Kawa warranty. I am now a member of the ROK via the American Motorcycle Association. How does the cruise control function? I just found out the bike has a music system and a carbon fiber belt. Glad there is no chain. We are going to be a 2 Vulcan family soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey good idea. Extended Kawa warranty. I am now a member of the ROK via the American Motorcycle Association. How does the cruise control function? I just found out the bike has a music system and a carbon fiber belt. Glad there is no chain. We are going to be a 2 Vulcan family soon.
Well, mine has the factory warranty as it is considered new, never being titled. The cruise works beautifully! I am quite impressed by it. Also love the belt as well! Great bike all around!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
New to this part of the forum but I've got a contract on a 2014 Nomad 1700 with 2200 miles.

Any glitches or problems with the 1700 Nomads? I know of the recall for the key switch wire chafe. Any other recalls or issues?

It's located far away and I'm going to have it shipped if the numbers work out on a trade. I hate not doing a test ride but I'm getting a very good deal and will take a chance. I currently own a Vulcan 900 and want ABS and other than a Versys 1000 I can't get it in a "touring" bike. (I know Connie is one) Cruise Control is the deal maker (not breaker) for me. I've got such bad arthritis that I have to sometimes stop and take a break it hurts so much.

I've owned a Thunderbird 1600 so think I can handle the weight. It is going to be used for long distance trips and the times my wife does not want to ride. The Vaquero was too much stuff for me and the Classes no hard bags.

Only downside I see is from what I read crappy fuel mileage and small tank and the engine needs to have revs up?
MY wife rides a Vulcan 650 so I thought it would be good to stay Vulcan.

My other choice is a BMW RT but not for this forum.
Get the nomad you will not be Disappointed,mileage isnt bad ,Ride is awesome:grin2:

·
Registered
315 Posts
I went from an '08 900 LT to the '14 Nomad with ABS like you're planning, so let's see if I can answer some of your questions. I miss the quickness and agility of the 900, but the comfort of the Nomad vs. the 900 is incomparable! For long distance it's hard to beat the Nomad, and even around town it handles well once you get moving (it's heavy compared to the 900). The throttle response takes a while to get used to as it isn't as quick revving as the 900, but you'll have torque galore! I don't know what you mean by needing to have the revs up, but this thing has massive torque from idle up.

There was 0 miles on it when I bought the Nomad but I now have 18,000 miles on it. Off the lot, my cruise control would stop engaging after riding a little bit and I found the rear brake cruise control switch wasn't adjusted properly from the factory. An internet search showed this was somewhat common. I took care of that myself. The belt was too tight, as is common with Kaw's. At around 6K it developed a very loud clanging noise in the front end. It took the dealer some time to figure it out and they wound up replacing both front forks. This is NOT a common problem and was handled under warranty. Other than that I've been on numerous 1,000+ mile trips on it and have enjoyed it so much. This July I'll be going on a 5,000 mile roundabout trip to Yellowstone and wouldn't want to do that on the 900.

Overall I get about 40mpg but have gotten as much as 50+mpg in the high altitudes when touring Colorado last year. When I first got the bike I was only getting around 32mpg. After I put about 6-7,000 miles on it the mileage improved. The tank is the same size as the 900 (5.3 gals) and I can comfortably go 150 miles between fills, while still having a comfortable margin in the tank. You do have to use 90+ octane in the Nomad.

You mention you have arthritis. I'm 64 years old with mild arthritis. The 900 was wearing me out on my long distance trips (did 5 trips over 1,000 miles), which is the reason I moved to the Nomad. When I got back from the Grand Canyon (3600 miles) in 2015 I told my wife "no more". The 900 transmits every little highway bump, imperfection and pebble to the operator. At highway speeds of 70mph, the engine sound level is high. While the 900 handles it well, I couldn't! The Nomad simply purrrrrs along without the operator feeling anything. The sweet spot (for me, anyway) is 75-80 in 6th gear. Sweeet!

Regarding the wire chafe.... I had my tank off to install a power plug and the wire mod was already done from the factory.

You will absolutely enjoy the Nomad, but I still miss my 900 from time to time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a new leftover last year too. It's been great, no issues. And fuel mileage is decent for such a big bike. The only thing I needed to add was a USB plug for my gps/phone. It has everything I want in a touring/cruising bike.
Although it ran well stock I did get the Ivan's ECU mod. It's worth it, smooths the power throughout the rpm range and opens it up a bit on top.
Only 2 things to be aware of, I wouldn't even call them issues. There is a lot of heat off the engine when the fan kicks in. I would expect this with a big ole v-twin between my legs so I'm sure it is no more than any other cruiser. My other bikes are not cruisers so it is new to me.
The other is the brakes. I am used to stop on a dime brakes on lighter weight bikes so it could be me not being used to hauling down this size bike. I find I need to use a heavy foot to slow things quickly. I plan to look into some braided brake lines as a next mod to see how that helps.
You will love it. It is such a smooth, comfortable, well equipped bike.
Len

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a new leftover last year too. It's been great, no issues. And fuel mileage is decent for such a big bike. The only thing I needed to add was a USB plug for my gps/phone. It has everything I want in a touring/cruising bike.
Although it ran well stock I did get the Ivan's ECU mod. It's worth it, smooths the power throughout the rpm range and opens it up a bit on top.
Only 2 things to be aware of, I wouldn't even call them issues. There is a lot of heat off the engine when the fan kicks in. I would expect this with a big ole v-twin between my legs so I'm sure it is no more than any other cruiser. My other bikes are not cruisers so it is new to me.
The other is the brakes. I am used to stop on a dime brakes on lighter weight bikes so it could be me not being used to hauling down this size bike. I find I need to use a heavy foot to slow things quickly. I plan to look into some braided brake lines as a next mod to see how that helps.
You will love it. It is such a smooth, comfortable, well equipped bike.
Len
You mentioned the heat issue, I've been reading a lot about Ivan's ecu flash, it deals with that from what I've read. I'm seriously considering doing it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ivan's ECU flash is great. I haven't run it in the heat of summer yet so can't comment on how it affects the heat blast from the radiator fan. It's supposed to kick the fan on at a lower temp so maybe it won't be as noticeable.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You mentioned the heat issue, I've been reading a lot about Ivan's ecu flash, it deals with that from what I've read. I'm seriously considering doing it.

Heat isn't that bad,when at a stop fan kicks on def warm but other than that,:grin2:
love my Nad

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Just got back from a 2200 mile trip from VA to WI and back on my 2011 Nomad, which I bought as a new leftover in 2015. Now have just under 20,000 miles in a year and a half. Bike ran flawlessly.

Here are some thoughts.

1. I had a 900 Classic LT, which I loved and frequently miss. However, the small V-Twin revs were too high for me at freeway speed. I won't go back because the Nomad is fine for my daily commute (not quite as fun, but fine) and much better on the highway.

2. The ergonomics on the 1700 Nomad are a little different than they are on the 900. You will feel like you sit a bit further forward. The 900 actually feels a bit longer because of this (it's not, but feels that way). The 1600s and Vulcan 2000 sit more like the 900, feeling a little more stretched out. When the 1700 nomad first came out, some didn't like the feeling (search the threads). After my 900, the Nomad did feel a little different, but I quickly got used to it. I am small (5-6) and love the way it sits for me. I've read that a tall guy might wish the floor boards were a little further forward.

3. The bike is not quite as nimble as the 900 and is significantly heavier (834 lbs v. 650 something wet), but I was surprised right away at how well it handles. The rake angle is smaller than on the 900 and I think this makes it fee a little lighter than it is. I think it handles great.

4. The stock seat is great, at least for me. The rear shocks with adjustable springs and air are great. Compared to the 900, they're plush. Some have complained. Maybe I'm easy. All I can say is that I find the ride on the highway is a lot more refined than it was on my 900.

5. Love the 6th gear; love the cruise control.

6. Bags have more room than you think. I have the bag liners sold on Amazon and took only those bags to the midwest.

7. I had buffeting that I improved by adding oversized lowers.

8. Ivan's flash improves performance significantly and reduces summer-time heat. It also reduces winter-time heat (I ride all year), which is an ironic cost of the flash :laugh2:

9. Beyond the flash and oversize lowers, I added Chuckster's light kit (love it); LED lights around the sissy bar that flash when brakes are hit; an electronic powerpoint to power my iphone/GPS; Ram mount for iPhone/GPS; the Kawasaki windshield bag for glasses, EZPass, etc; a driver backrest; hand shields (block wind from gloves in the winter); and engine guard chaps to block wind around the legs in the winter (take em off in the summer). These work together in various combinations to generate a pretty comfortable ride on the highway, though I do find myself wondering what it would be like to have a full fairing up top and down below. There is still a little buffeting.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Just got back from a 2200 mile trip from VA to WI and back on my 2011 Nomad, which I bought as a new leftover in 2015. Now have just under 20,000 miles in a year and a half. Bike ran flawlessly.

Here are some thoughts.

1. I had a 900 Classic LT, which I loved and frequently miss. However, the small V-Twin revs were too high for me at freeway speed. I won't go back because the Nomad is fine for my daily commute (not quite as fun, but fine) and much better on the highway.

2. The ergonomics on the 1700 Nomad are a little different than they are on the 900. You will feel like you sit a bit further forward. The 900 actually feels a bit longer because of this (it's not, but feels that way). The 1600s and Vulcan 2000 sit more like the 900, feeling a little more stretched out. When the 1700 nomad first came out, some didn't like the feeling (search the threads). After my 900, the Nomad did feel a little different, but I quickly got used to it. I am small (5-6) and love the way it sits for me. I've read that a tall guy might wish the floor boards were a little further forward.

3. The bike is not quite as nimble as the 900 and is significantly heavier (834 lbs v. 650 something wet), but I was surprised right away at how well it handles. The rake angle is smaller than on the 900 and I think this makes it fee a little lighter than it is. I think it handles great.

4. The stock seat is great, at least for me. The rear shocks with adjustable springs and air are great. Compared to the 900, they're plush. Some have complained. Maybe I'm easy. All I can say is that I find the ride on the highway is a lot more refined than it was on my 900.

5. Love the 6th gear; love the cruise control.

6. Bags have more room than you think. I have the bag liners sold on Amazon and took only those bags to the midwest.

7. I had buffeting that I improved by adding oversized lowers.

8. Ivan's flash improves performance significantly and reduces summer-time heat. It also reduces winter-time heat (I ride all year), which is an ironic cost of the flash :laugh2:

9. Beyond the flash and oversize lowers, I added Chuckster's light kit (love it); LED lights around the sissy bar that flash when brakes are hit; an electronic powerpoint to power my iphone/GPS; Ram mount for iPhone/GPS; the Kawasaki windshield bag for glasses, EZPass, etc; a driver backrest; hand shields (block wind from gloves in the winter); and engine guard chaps to block wind around the legs in the winter (take em off in the summer). These work together in various combinations to generate a pretty comfortable ride on the highway, though I do find myself wondering what it would be like to have a full fairing up top and down below. There is still a little buffeting.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan
Couldn't have said it better,Do have the fairing ,only buffeting I get is when it's windy out or from cross wind,pretty quiet otherwise,would like the backrest tho,got to get one:wink2:

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Forgot to mention that I also have RacNRay's throttle mod with Avon grips and a luggage rack. I don't use the rack that much; in fact I'm about to put on a trunk. Some who did the flash removed the throttle mod, but I've left it on and got used to the instant response. The combination is a bit jerky, but I hear that the update to the flash (which I'll likely do) may help with that.

I failed to mention the value per $. My uncle has 2010 Ultra Limited. It's nice. I like it a lot. But it cost more than twice as much as my 2011 Nomad. Is the Harley twice as good? He says not. The new Road King -- the "equivalent" of the Nomad -- costs nearly twice as much. Twice as good? The more Harley owners I speak with, the more I realize that the 1700 series bikes are great bikes for the money.

RacNRay put 100,000 miles on his Vaquero. Another guy on the list (or maybe the Vulcan Bagger list, I forget) has umpteen @#[email protected]%^$# gazillion miles on his Voyager. Ray and others on this list who seem to know a thing or two about bikes (unlike me) say the 1700 engine is a heck of an engine. I've only got 20K on it, so I guess I can't say anything from my experience other than that it's been flawless so far. I think these are great bikes for the money.

One thing you don't get with these bikes is a ton of aftermarket parts and modular attachments. That's a downside compared to a Harley, and if you like to tinker with your bike, it could be significant.

Best,
Dan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought a bike!

Follow up to close the thread! Did not buy the Nomad but thank all for the info.

It's been 5 years since my last full sized cruiser a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 and I wanted to get another big highway couch. Did my online research and then went to do my test ride. It was a big effort to get the damn bike off the kickstand and I did not like the feet forward floorboard riding position as I've been on dual sports for the last 5 years. I wanted to get a bike good for 2 up. It's been a few years and I've had a hip replaced, hernia repair and knee injections. I could handle the bike but it did feel big and heavy. Out on the road it was amazing. Much quieter and smooth than I expected. It was a very tempting choice until I stopped. I could not back the bike up in gravel-my litmus test or get it backed over the lip of the dealers garage just with me. With a passenger I did not feel comfortable. Really wanted to buy it.

Dealers suggested a smaller bike . Started with the Versys 650 and took a test ride with a passenger.Wow what fun and the "little" 650 has some gonads. A real blast to ride. Got back to dealership and said I would take it after I did the Versys 1000. A very smooth and powerful bike. Great balance. Good storage and a screaming good deal on a new 2015 left over with hard bags.

Ended up driving the 1000 home the next day with zero down and 3.23% and EZ payments. I think officially my cruiser days are over and it's off to ADV type upright lighter bikes. Missed my chance to own a Goldwing or a big Road Glide so kids, ride the big bikes while you are able.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts