Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having owned my 2006 900 for 2 weeks now and only putting 60km on it I am already wanting to do some performance upgrades.

At the moment the bike has Vance and Hines pipes and that's it (haven't checked for a k and n filter or fuel management setup but I'm guessing it doesn't)

My plan is to get a baron big air kit (or similar for intake) I'm not a big fan of the other air intakes that stand out and like the keep it crisp and clean, but am happy for suggestions.

Having pipes and going intake I know I need a fuel management setup but was thinking of going down the lines of an ECU flash from Ivan. Have only read positive results from this flash with the biggest problem I will have is the down time shipping my ECU from Australia and return (In the process of sourcing a 2nd ECU to limit bike down time)

What I would like to confirm is this the sound path to go down.

Also would anyone recommend using a fuel management with the flash or should I just save that cash and not worry.

Will contact Ivan and chat with him but thought I would get thoughts from the forum first.

Thanks

Whitey

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Go with the ECU flash as it will improve all engine parameters not just fuel. Make sure Ivan knows your set-up so you get the right version.
You do not need a fuel manager if you do the flash.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Just had my 1700 flashed- total of 17 days from country WA & approx $650. You being on the East Coast already I reckon 2 weeks max. I also looked at a second ECU but couldn't justify the cost just to save 2 weeks riding. Plan it around long range shitty weather forecast/holiday but don't leave it to long as the better weather will be here soon.

2012 Nomad 1700
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Go with the ECU flash as it will improve all engine parameters not just fuel. Make sure Ivan knows your set-up so you get the right version.
You do not need a fuel manager if you do the flash.

Or a BAK

2012 Nomad 1700

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leaning towards the Cobra powrflo now. Does it matter which intake I get as the plan is to order the intake from the states at the same time I send the ECU off.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
$120? same serial number as yours? I'd grab it- the problem I had was the our Nomad is a Europe/Asia model with a different number to those in the states. Even has the O2 sensor which apparently did not appear over there until 2015. Found an ECU in the UK but expensive- that's when I bit the bullet & sent mine.

2012 Nomad 1700

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need to double check the numbers but the 900 ECUs are pretty cheap here in Aus.

Can you see any issues with the setup I'm after?

Also if I get the ECU done for a better intake but run the bike with the flashed ecu and stock intake will it cause any major dramas?

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Leaning towards the Cobra powrflo now. Does it matter which intake I get as the plan is to order the intake from the states at the same time I send the ECU off.

You need to tell Ivan your set up with air, pipes etc on the form you send with your ECU, you will need to decide before you send it. I removed my Chucksters BAK before the flash & replaced the OEM filter with a K& N.

2012 Nomad 1700

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Need to double check the numbers but the 900 ECUs are pretty cheap here in Aus.

Can you see any issues with the setup I'm after?

Also if I get the ECU done for a better intake but run the bike with the flashed ecu and stock intake will it cause any major dramas?

You will need to talk with the guru aka Ivan.

2012 Nomad 1700

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How's the k&n perform compared to the BAK?

I don't really like the look of a bigger air intake and the k&n remains hidden which is what I like.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
With the K&N after the flash no noticeable difference in power & the OEM setup is a lot quieter than an open setup

2012 Nomad 1700

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Im taking that's including postage to and from Ivan and the great exchange rate we have.

Priority postage & insurance both ways

2012 Nomad 1700

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Upgrades are on the back burner till I figure out my bikes issues. The stator noise is back but all tests check out so in the process of talking with Rick's via email.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts