Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
possible starter problem or wiring

New to the forum. About to take over someone else's project on a vulcan 1500. He informed me that he changed the starter and the soleniod started to smoke (burned out) I would suspect. Said he changed the soleniod out and the next one started to smoke. Before i can proceed any further I need to get it to start. Any suggestions on trouble shooting the starter soleniod issue to start with.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'd check the manual and what the specs are for proper voltage at the solenoid. With your multi-meter you should be able verify if your getting the right voltage and have proper continuity. Don't know what year you have, but there's typically a 4 pin connector to attach the solenoid to the harness. If you don't have a manual, post back what model/year you have and someone should be able to tell you what wires to probe to test your solenoid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will not start

its a 1995 1500, i will start with the meter and work my way through the harness. manual is on the way, however, working has gotten in the way till July (out of town) i will post back once i get back and get started.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Do NOT work your way through the harness. That is a short trip to adding in additional problems.

What can cause a solenoid to smoke is high starter current draw. What can cause the high draw is:

1. Faulty starter (unlikely)
2. Engine that is hard/impossible to turn over. (more likely)

Hunting for problems is a poor idea. Post back when you are ready to troubleshoot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts