Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should a compression test read on these bikes. im looking at a newish motor with cylinders':l':l 1 and 2 at 150

·
Registered
814 Posts
What should a compression test read on these bikes. im looking at a newish motor with cylinders':l':l 1 and 2 at 150
You have me curious. Per service manual for an 02 1500 Drifter, the "Cylinder compression usable range" is 50 to 85 PSI. That seems mighty low, and I guess the 1500s all have about the same compression ratio of 9.0 : 1.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree that 150 is typically a very good number. However our bikes have some pressure release valve to help the bike start easier that affects the reading on the front cylinder. I don't really understand how that works, but it will affect the reading on the front jug. Two recent motors I've done compression tests on are my 79 Goldwing and my 81 CB900. Their Compression readings were 150 and 120 respectively.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that 150 is typically a very good number. However our bikes have some pressure release valve to help the bike start easier that affects the reading on the front cylinder. I don't really understand how that works, but it will affect the reading on the front jug. Two recent motors I've done compression tests on are my 79 Goldwing and my 81 CB900. Their Compression readings were 150 and 120 respectively.
doesnt this bike have dual KACR systems. im removing mine hopefully do you see any probelms with that

1 - 4 of 4 Posts