Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2009 voyager with 25k miles. It sat up for about a year plus. Won't turn over. Took out the front plug and it turns over fine. Put plug back in and it won't turn over. New battery with 240cca. My guess is the compression release is not opening. Any suggestions other than pull the engine?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone interested. Put half a quart of marvel mystery oil in and took plug out. Ran starter for about 20 seconds several times to pump oil into the compression release valve. Valve now working properly turns over as it should with plugs in

·
Registered
659 Posts
Glad you found a solution. Everyone else in here likes to start their bikes at least once a year, so you're probably among a very small group of riders to experience this difficulty. :smile2:

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Compression release would not be accessible through the spark plug hole to Marvel mystery oil. They are on the ends of the camshafts,
Something else going on there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You take the plug out so it will turn over since there is no compression. That allows oil to flow up to the camshaft and oil the release valve.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a moving part that obviously wasn't moving. Once oil was pumped up in the area where that is located it began to function as it should.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And the weights and spring actuate a valve, a compression release valve.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
And the weights and spring actuate a valve, a compression release valve.

They do not actuate a "release valve"...that is not how it works.

But in any case, you "lost" the condition and that is what counts, maybe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts