Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I am a new member and am hoping someone can help me. Riding today, I was stopped in traffic and when it was time to move on, my 1999 Nomad 1500 suddenly died. No noise, no sputtering, nothing. No lights, no turnover, completely dead. Trailered it home and so far I've verified the master 30 amp fuse and all 10 amp fuses are good. Battery is new this year and reading 13+ volts.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Bike is stock with nothing added. Note that I did wash the bike today with a bucket and garden hose, no high pressure spray, and had ridden for about an hour on the highway before she died. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
I have a 97 Classic and had the same thing happen. Sitting on an exit ramp idling at a light, light turns green start to move....boom, dead, no life at all. Had it towed home. Right side, under cover, relay had "gunked up"....green inside. Cleaned it good with electrical cleaner, coated with dielectric grease and started right up. Haven't had any problems since.

Be sure to check battery connections....use a socket or wrench, not a screwdriver.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Trapper. Thanks for the response. I'm thinking you are referring to the starter relay with the 30 amp master fuse? If so, do I soak it with electrical cleaner? I'm about to get started on it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
You said that everything is dead, so let's start at the relay where the 30amp fuse is located. Set meter to read DCV, connect negative (black lead) to battery negative, positive lead to relay terminal with Red, positive lead from battery. Should see battery voltage, if so, there is a white wire coming from the fuse side, probe it. Should also see battery voltage. Post back with results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
I sprayed the elec. cleaner in, used Qtips & rag to clean as I recall, been a couple of years. You should be able to see if there's crud buildup. Mine looked green, like mold (electrolysis).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bandit101, I probed the battery reading 12.45v. Was reading higher last night when I was checking. From neg to white connector at 30 amp fuse reading 12.45v when key is off, reading 0v when key is on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Bandit101, I probed the battery reading 12.45v. Was reading higher last night when I was checking. From neg to white connector at 30 amp fuse reading 12.45v when key is off, reading 0v when key is on.
Voltage at white wire should not change, regardless if key is on or off. At this point I would remove battery and have it load tested. If you do not have a load tester, take to a local auto parts store and they can do it for you. You have checked negative & positive battery terminals to be clean and tight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, terminals are clean and tight. I will remove the battery now and take to auto parts store for testing. I'll post back what I find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just had the battery tested at the parts store. Completely dead under load. I must admit that I was skeptical when I read your suggestion as it was brand new this spring, but I did buy it off the internet and it is made overseas, so I shouldn't be surprised. Thank you Bandit and Trapper for your kind assistance. It is truly appreciated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Just had the battery tested at the parts store. Completely dead under load. I must admit that I was skeptical when I read your suggestion as it was brand new this spring, but I did buy it off the internet and it is made overseas, so I shouldn't be surprised. Thank you Bandit and Trapper for your kind assistance. It is truly appreciated.
Glad to help. Hope others read this and realize that just because a battery is relatively new it can have a bad cell. They may show voltage, (as yours did), but under load they have no current. Don't overlook the obvious.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top