Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's my question. Has anyone had any complaints from your de-baffled exhaust? And, at what times were you leaving home? i ask because i ride my 9 to work everyday its not snowing. where im from, it hasnt snowed in a couple of years. My only issue with beginning the various stages of de-baffling is that i leave my house at around 4:30. I like my neighbors and wouldnt want to cause any problem. I would like to hear from anyone who has or is in a situation like mine. All info would help greatly.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I hear bikes leaving our neighborhood all the time. It does not bother me. When I leave early on weekends I'll just leave quietly by being easy on the throttle. Debaffled pipes or after market both may annoy if you leave your neighborhood aggressively.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i live on a military post and had the same concerns because i leave for PT around 0515, but after a week i went around and talked to the neighbors and nobody had any issues. i have debaffled V&H pipes. i just make sure to roll it out of the garage before i fire her up and keep the throttle low.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I leave every morning around 6:30, I fire her up in the garage to warm her up then I ride out slow and easy to make as little noise as can, never heard a complaint. Coming home in the afternoon different story :) My bike is stage 2 debaffle

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just for consideration of the nieghbors, I am very easy on the throttle coming and going all the time. There is plenty of room on the open road to make noise.
I have after market pipes and they are pretty loud

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I believe I am with most everyone here. Get what ya want, just don't try to set any records on how fast you can make it up the street. When I had my Meanie I had a set of vance and hines big shots and one of my neighbors said that when she herd the bike she knew it was time to get up. Now I live in a rural. I mean RURAL area. I can go outside and :poop: in the yard and no one will see me. I like living in the middle of no where.
I literally boarder national forest lands.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Aftermarket pipes on mine, and I leave at 4:00 a.m. Take my time putting thru the neighborhood. No one has said anything and I talk with the neighbors, so it must not be bad.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, looks like im gonna start of with a stage 1 de-baffle and possibly stage 2. Dont think i'll ever go to a full de-baffle. we'll see how it goes

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I go out or come home in the afternoon I make a point of being loud, not obnoxious, just loud. Then when I'm being good and quiet early in the morning or late at night the neighbors know the difference. I've even had some thank me for being quiet with the bike in the AM.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I live in apartment, with fully debaffled 800, and never heard from neighbors about noise. One neighbor has a sporty with open drag pipes. The driveway is about 40' from my bedroom. I usually never hear him coming or going when I'm asleep, and I work 11-7, so sleep till early to mid afternoon most days.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Last summer I regularly got home from work between midnight and 3am. Now I find myself sometimes (three times just this week) leaving by 5am. Just don't be an ass and it shouldn't be an issue. Things I do are start the bike and get going pretty quickly without letting it idle unnecessarily. I ride slow and shift early so I'm just barely above idle until I get to the highway. I've also been known to intentionally roll through neighborhood stop signs in the wee hours of the morning so I'm not stopping and going, but that's dependent on the whole situation.

Anyway, no complaints from neighbors and I've asked a few of them. I'm guessing the fact that I asked people if I was bothering them went a long way towards them saying no.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might have to try what you do ken. up until this poinr, i always roll my bike to the street and take off shortly after it begins its slow idle. Havent had any complaints as of yet. I might let them know that im home tomorrow after work. i'll let you all know if anything changes after my stage 2 de-baffle.i might ask a few neighbors if im currently being to load so far,i dont think i am though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Perhaps someone needs to make temporary (slip-on) baffles for bikes with permanently debaffled pipes so when they will be ridden at off-peak hours it would prevent complaints?

You can slip 'em on and when the bike is warm and ready, slip 'em off and go!
:)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
HOW you ride makes a big difference. I've found that the debaffled pipes aren't that loud at lower RPM's. If I leave early in the AM with my bike, I try and idle out of the driveway and creep out, but of course, I'm quickly away from houses anyway living in a bit more rural area.

Definitely don't goose it and mash through the gears at near-redline tearing through the neighborhood, and I think you'll be okay. I don't think my bike, ridden conservatively, is any louder than the garbage truck at 6 AM, or lawn mowers, etc.

For the record, I have an older lady, in her 90's, who lives next to me and I asked her if it bothered her. She said no, it's never woken her up or bothered her!

There actually IS a company making/experimenting with an 'electric baffle' that allows you to 'adjust' the volume of your pipes. Man, if they made that for the Vulcans that'd be too cool! Perfect for these types of situations.

But ultimately, I think if you shift early and accelerate gently the bike isn't really any louder than stock. At least mine, full debaffle, only seems to get loud when it gets some throttle into it. Keeping the throttle plate fairly closed (not a ton of air getting in basically) and keeping the rev's down keeps it quiet.

Thanks guys, looks like im gonna start of with a stage 1 de-baffle and possibly stage 2. Dont think i'll ever go to a full de-baffle. we'll see how it goes

I went through the stages, ended up at full debaffle. I actually don't think a full debaffle is noticeably louder than a partial debaffle, it's just much deeper and, in my opinion, much more pleasant. The partial debaffles, to me, sounded really poor.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I leave at 4 am. I try not to take too long idling on warm up. And I try to be in second and have some momentum built so I can make the short climb uphill without cracking the windows too bad. If I've disturbed their sleep hopefully it's quickly.

I've lived where I"m at for over 11 years, longest in the neighborhood except for one other family and they've never said anything to me. The rest don't speak english. Though I'm mindful of them they don't think the same way and blast their stereos while I'm trying to sleep.

I never thought much about it til you mentioned it. It's just me trying to be quiet and not draw attention as my personal preference. They're not my friends, nor my enemy, we're just indifferent but their manners lack more than mine. I think it's time they start getting up when I do.

Oh and my pipes are cobra slash cuts, no baffles romans is right, not that bad if you keep the rpms down.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like you're as considerate as you can be by not cracking on the throttle. I get woken up early or throughout the night by little things, but always fall back to sleep. I'm sure your neighbors are the same way.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
There is a small road behind my house with a stop sign that leads into my neighborhood.
During the day I hear a few motorcycles coming and going and some have loud pipes but nothing too bad.:)
The bass from loud stereos is more of a nuisance.

For the last couple of years though; late spring has been announced to the neighborhood by a jackass with loud pipes.

A couple of times a week, around May; he blips his throttle five or six times before racing away from the stop at 4am.:mad:

I don't know if he only rides a couple of times a year when the weather is great; or if the damn thing won't idle in cooler weather and he has to keep the revs up at a stop.
I am guess he is just a jackass!

Anyway, I think if you follow the advice in this thread; your neighbors will not have much to complain about.

Scott

1 - 20 of 36 Posts