Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum as i haven't actually picked up my newest Vulcan yet (09 custom), started on a 94 750, and rode several others over the years (mean streak, nomad)but this will be my first experience with the 900. Bought it sight unseen for a song from a buddy's neighbor because it hasn't run in a while and this guy just wants it gone, I'm picking the bike up this weekend and just wanted to have some parts on hand to throw at it. The guy says he isn't too knowledgeable but believes the issue might be related to the fuel system, he mentioned injectors specifically. Just seeing if anyone has a lead on what I might be getting into and maybe a little direction. Honestly hoping this guy just doesn't have a clue and/or the time or patience to fix it himself. Anyone know if these bikes are known for these issues, I know about all the notorious stator issues and just wondering if this is another one of those things these bikes are known for.

Thanks in advance,
B

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I wouldn't invest in parts to to throw at it until you have it in hand and get some idea what the issue is. "Hasn't run in a while" could mean anything from a dead battery, to a plugged fuel pump. I would start with "he doesn't have a clue" and move on from there once you can turn the key, push the starter and report back on what did/didn't happen. Good luck, these are great bikes. I'm sure you'll love it once it's sorted out.

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. The 900s are great all around bikes. If it has been sitting, the first area of concern is the fuel system. Look into the fuel tank with a flashlight and check for corrosion or rust. If there is some, remove the tank and clean it completely. Also clean the fuel pump assembly. Depending on how much rust, might have to replace the pump. There are many cleaning procedures. Do a Google search. There is a lot of maintenance to perform on this bike. Check battery age and load test. They do load tests for free at the auto parts stores. Make sure battery is fully charged before testing and go to a couple of stores to get a second opinion. If the bike needs a new one, buy a good AGM. Change oil and filter, change spark plugs, flush brake system and check hoses, change coolant and check hoses, check fuel and vacuum hoses, check and adjust drive belt, tires if over 5 years old (regardless of condition), check air filter, lube all cables, spray all switches with electrical cleaner/lubricant, and more. To check tire age, look at embossed the 4 digit DOT number on the sidewall. First two digits are the week and the second two are the year of manufacture. Here is a link to an online factory repair manual to find out what else is needed and the procedures to perform the maintenance. The second link is to an OEM parts supplier with diagrams. Have found the parts diagrams help show how things are assembled. Also put a whole can of Seafoam in the fuel tank, use motorcycle specific oil, use iridium spark plugs if available, and buy the proper tool to adjust the drive belt. (10lb belt tension gauge available on the internet). Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.

If you need a fuel pump. Here is a link.

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
815 Posts
One thing is for certain, it isn't going to start. Make sure you have enough help to get the bike loaded onto your trailer to get it home.
You may need to have another hand or two if you have to push it uphill to where you are going to keep it. Then you can start the troubleshooting process.
Plenty of folks here can help with that

·
Registered
217 Posts
I bought a wrecked 900 Custom 3 years ago, when I got it it had sat outside under a tarp, some of the time uncovered the rest, for at least two years. It took me two more years to rebuild it, external things only no engine work. I had removed the tank when I first got it and emptied the rancid fuel but did nothing with the remaining fuel system.
When it came time to think about putting back together once I had all the necessary new, used or refurbished parts I changed the oil, topped up the coolant, adjusted the valves, installed new plugs, put on the nice used tank I bought, installed a new battery, turned on the key and cranked it.
It took several turns but it started to sputter, then started to run briefly and within a short amount of time would start and run smoothly. I let it warm up, revved it just enough to see if it would respond to throttle input, shut it off and let it sit and each time I came back to restart it would crank right up no issues. Put on my gear and took it up the road for a spin and it ran perfectly with no issues.
It has run fine ever since.

Reactions: Bdavies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so update time. Drained all the old gas, tank is nice and clean, put new gas in...pulled the plugs and tried to get spark against the block, no dice and of course my local auto parts store doesn't have new ones in stock...I hear solenoids and the pump doing stuff when I turn the key but it doesn't seem like I'm getting fuel when I try to crank it...any advice on what to try/look for is much appreciated, thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts