Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would just comment on the Commanders IIs longevity. The Bridgestones that came on my bike when new aren't even in the same league as these. I started looking for the Commanders by the time I had 5000 miles on the bike because I knew they werent going to last much longer, Ended up changing the rear at 6300 miles. I now have 5100 miles on the rear and checked the tread with depth guage today and still have 7/32 of tread left. I believe they have 8/32 new, so if they continue to wear at this rate, I figure I should easily get around 25,000 miles from this tire. I dont ride it too hard, it is a touring bike after all, not a canyon carver, but I ride it the same as I did the stock tires.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2014
786 Posts
I'm glad to hear they're working out for you. I didnt have a good experience with the Commander II's. Developed a front end wobble that I was only able to fix by replacing the tire. I only got 6000 miles on them before they were removed. I had high hopes for the too...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thought I would just comment on the Commanders IIs longevity. The Bridgestones that came on my bike when new aren't even in the same league as these. I started looking for the Commanders by the time I had 5000 miles on the bike because I knew they werent going to last much longer, Ended up changing the rear at 6300 miles. I now have 5100 miles on the rear and checked the tread with depth guage today and still have 7/32 of tread left. I believe they have 8/32 new, so if they continue to wear at this rate, I figure I should easily get around 25,000 miles from this tire. I dont ride it too hard, it is a touring bike after all, not a canyon carver, but I ride it the same as I did the stock tires.
Is that a 140/90-16 rear tire on that 800 Classic?

If so, a new COMMANDER II rear tire's tread depth is ~8mm (~10/32"). If you're down to 7/32", it's about 1/3 shot. Based upon this, it looks like you may get around 15,000 or more miles from that rear tire.

It's no 25,000 miles, but it's still a good bit better than the 6,300 you got from that OEM Bridgestone. Mine has over 10,000 miles and looks to be wearing as well, or perhaps even a little better. I rationally expect to get 18,000 from the rear tire and 24,000 from the front tire.

I have yet to find a better tire than the Michelin COMMANDER II. Like any tire, someone will have a less that perfect experience with it [no one is perfect, so every manufacturer will produce its share of lemons], but, for the most part, almost everyone who has gotten one has been pleased.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 180/65/16 on my Voyager. Wasnt sure about new depth, guess I confused 8mm with 8/32s. Still should be much better than the stock. The 800 still has the 880s I put on it last year. If I didnt have the Voyager, I'm sure they would be shot by now, at least the rear.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I hear the Michelin Touring Commander II comes in a radial or bias. Which ones did you guys get. Do you like one over the other, pros/cons? ( I realize you need to run the same on the front and the rear)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts