Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Put a Michelin Commander II on the rear of the Vaq this weekend.

...Nice tire.
How coincidental. I have one of those Commander IIs on now, but it's coming off today! After only 22000 miles, it will not last for my upcoming 3000 mile trip. I guess I will give it one more chance, but if it doesn't last the advertised 25000 miles.....I will give it a third and final chance. Well, no more than a forth chance.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tire is really having a negative impact on my work performance, also. I don't want to work now. I just want to ride.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I need to get one of these tires :)

Actually plan to upgrade to the C-II when current rear tire is gone, have a few more hundred miles to go. But I'm not sure my work performance can take the hit.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In all seriousness, I was kind of surprised at the difference the tire made. It just 'Feels' better.

[Queue 'That's what she said' jokes]

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Was just looking this morning for a front for my Voyager. JakeWilson has the 130/90/16 for $120, says +5 in stock. Was cheaper than any I found listed on ebay. My last tire order from there came in about 3days.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just put one on the back last fall and it works great.My front Bridgestone after 20000K is starting to howl at bit at highway speeds and will need to be done this year I suspect.Checked for cupping but looks fine but wore down over half way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i guess running a cII and the stocker bridgesone up front isn't really an issue? how much does size difference affect the speedo?

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i guess running a cII and the stocker bridgesone up front isn't really an issue? how much does size difference affect the speedo?
I hadn't really thought about that, but that's what I'm doing at the moment.

I hadn't *noticed* any difference, but I'm not sure that I really would.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Dunlop has a high mileage tire, it's call American Elite. Comes in the 180-65-16 size. I had two of them on my last Voyager and got 23,000 miles out of both of them. When the rear Stone has given up on my Nomad, The American Elite will be the replacement. I can live with 23,000 miles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Metzler makes a 180/65-16 in the 888 series. Can't speak for how it will wear as I only have about 2k on it, but so far I'm happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The first C2's I installed as a pair. The front tire I ended up being very happy with, almost no changes in handling and I replaced it with 20,673 mls.

The rear tire is another story. Since the speedo/odo reads off 6th gear on the outut shaft of the tranny the signal it sends to the ECU/speedo is affected by any changes in final drive ratio( i.e. sprocket or pulley size changes) or rear tire circumference differences. When the first C2 had about 10,000 mls on it developed a pretty noticeable flat spot and lost that center crown. I noticed the engine rpm vs road speed start to change and the acceleration and pick up got better. The circumference of the tire was changing and progressively getting smaller affectively shortening the gear ratio. A negative affect was to the handling, with that flat spot it definitely had an adverse affect on the high speed cornering, causing the dreaded "dog wagging it's tail" affect.

So I had this negative affect in handling and with the torque of my 1700 I really didn't need the change in overall gear ratio which had me shifting too soon and the engine rpm higher at any road speed, compromising mpg and adding excessive miles on the odo. Even tho that first C2 still had many more miles left on it I just was not happy with the changes so I installed another C2.

Now this second C2 has done the same thing but I now realize I am not that rich to replace the rear tire (again!) when it has lotsa miles left, and hearing peeps getting 20,000 miles on rear C2's I have left this second C2 on and have just kinda enjoyed the extra acceleration and put up with the handling deficiencies.

It now has 18,963 mls on it. I did some comparison of the speedo/odo to a gps. At 80 mph on the speedo the gps shows 76.3 mph, at 90 on the speedo the gps shows 84 mph.

I put on 46 miles on the odo last nite but gps shows 43.6 mls so for every 100 miles the odo is registering about 5 more miles than what I have actually traveled. I'm gonna get 2 more weeks outa this rear C2 and change it b4 my vacation to Pennsylvania. Gonna gps the skoot with the new rear C2 to see what the change is and also get me a speedo healer to further make the speedo/odo more accurate, or even slow it down some.

But happy to see this kinda mileage out of a rear tire.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Ray, was wondering what your odo was showing with the stock tire, if you noticed. I have a 12 O'Clock?, speedometer correcter on my 12 Voyager. With speedo matching my tomtom gps, the odo is now showing about 4% more miles than traveled. Havent rechecked it since installing the Commander. This leads me to believe the odo is pretty close stock, but speedo is off. Correcting the speedo makes the odo off.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I never did a comparison when the stock tire was on, heck that stock tire was replaced 51,300 miles ago!! I now have 56,998 mls on the skoot!

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I'm running the C2 front and rear, now have over 25k on them, still have tread left. As far as the speedo/odo, both were reading high, in that a display of 75mph was really 70mph, and a claimed 10 miles was more like 9.5 miles. I installed an electronic unit for calibrating the speedo, and I am now dead-on. The odo now reads low, so 10 miles claimed is more like 10.7 traveled. I look at it as making up for the previous inaccuracy. Ray has me beat on totals, but my baby is still less than two years old, and I'm over 34k!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts