Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed that Michelin makes a commander II size 180/65-16. Compairing specs:

Manufacturer Metzler MICHELIN
Size 200/60R-16 180/65B-16
Difference
Diameter 25.45 25.21 -.25
Width 7.87 7.09 -.78
Tire Construction radial Bias Belt
Load Rating 79 (965 lbs.) 81 (1019 lbs.)
Speed Rating V (149 mph) H (130 mph)
Max PSI 42 42
Load Range B C
Tread Plies 1 Polyamide 1 Steel 3 Poly 2 Aramid
Sidewall Plies 1 Polyamide 3 Polyester
Position Rear Rear
Sidewall Blackwell Blackwall
Weight 18.3 lbs. 22.28 lbs.
Rim Size 16 16
Tube / Tubeless Tubeless Tubeless
Directional Yes Yes

Although the Michelin is a little smaller width, It has a higher load rating. And Four pounds more rubber.
Anyone see why this wouldn't work?
Has anyone tried this tire on the VN2000? If so how did it work out?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Haven't tried one, but I'd not assume the 4 lbs difference is all rubber. A lot of that could be simply different belt construction of the bias ply (Commander) vs. radial tire.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was very disappointed when I found they did not make a Commander11 in size 200. I used to run them on my 900 and they were the best all round tyre, best handling and longest lasting as far as wear goes.
The 180 would be fine if you don't mind going a fraction narrower, would be great to see how it goes, and how long it lasts on the 2000.
Give it a try and let us all know. Get some photos when fitted and post them up so we can see it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My concern is getting it to set the bead. Its made for a five inch rim according to Michelin. I am also concerned about the resultant profile. It surely won't be as round as a 200 but I would think still corner ok maybe just not as quick to turn side to side. Also the height might drop a little due to being set on a our six inch rims. Maybe I am just splitting hairs!?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Not a mich, but dunlop harley tire on mine right now. Emergency situation forced use of this tire. Also in the 180-65-16 size. Right at 1/4 " shorter and approx 3/4" narrower. Insignificant as far as handling. Can't really tell diff. We'll see how treadwear is.
I normally get about 6K on a rear.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Not a mich, but dunlop harley tire on mine right now. Emergency situation forced use of this tire. Also in the 180-65-16 size. Right at 1/4 " shorter and approx 3/4" narrower. Insignificant as far as handling. Can't really tell diff. We'll see how treadwear is.
I normally get about 6K on a rear.
D407 Dunlop? I have heard on other forums of them getting mileage around 15k on the HD's but I only got about 10k out of mine. I still had a lot of tread on the sides, but flattened it out in the middle doing more 4 lane commuting than fun weekend riding. I am on my second and have about 3k on it so far. I usually got about 3K out of the factory Bridgestones and about 4k out of a metz on my v2k. I rode it hard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dadinator!

Dadinator, Please keep us posted on your success with this tire. I will be very interested in the results. I assume this is on a 2000 with a 6 inch wide rim.
Thanks,
Schmeck:flag:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SWVA 08V2k

If I read correctly, The 10k miles was hard riding on the VN2000 with a dunlop 180/65-16 on a six inch rim? Did you notice any difference in handling etc.?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The 10K was on my 14 Harley Ultra Limited with a lot of 4 lane riding. The Dunlop 407s are OEM on them. The 3K were on the factory sized Metz, which was ridden hard.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Michelin commanders and other Tour Duty tires are sized for Tour bikes. the v2k is bilt as a cruiser and those long distance specialty tires are not its target audience.

I put a set of mich comms on 07 'lectraglide. they did same as the stock hardley dunlops. 10k rear. I never did wear that front out, at 45k thru it away.

14 injun came with Dunlop Elite 3's. high mileage Tour Tires. currently at 16k smiles and they still look like they got another trip (4k) left on them.. Tho centers tend to flatten from straight running. Tread and center tread is still significant. I make a point of not riding straight roads whenever possible. these look to be 20k (rear) tire. butt still yor not gonna find it in a 200 size. 180 is as big a Tour Tire gets.

metz 880s proved useful v2k for my style of riding. but mostly canyon carving. I could get plenty of chiken strip riding and save the centers. 13k rears as I do not play hard, butt rather smooth fluid movements. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Unless you ride single, smooth ride and strip your bike as much as ponch, you cannot get the kind of mileage ponch does. Neither on a tire nor mpg.
I ride 2 up 99% and am loaded down a lot. I am not hard on my bike, but i do like feeling the torque. I get about 6k out of a rear tire. All 200's. This is the first time i have had a 180. Not much difference in the handling. We will see how it lasts. Like i said, it was an emergency situation or it would not be on there. I have been using the mich excedra max tires the last couple of times. They last about the same as the others but are cheaper. I think the avon cobras handle the best. But they are all close in that regard. The suspension and lack of ground clearance limits handling on this bike more than the tires imho.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts