Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a commander II rear tyre on my 900 classic lt. 180/70-15. I haven’t ridden yet as I’m a new rider and had my partner break it in and take what I’ve been advised by others to do, take the shine off of it. He has two bikes 1600 and a vaquero and said he has never felt a tyre like this. He also had veteran riders ride it and they said the same thing. The tyre wants to curve. Not keep the bike upright. Handling wise cornering he said it’s amazing but on a straight away and most importantly at a full stop he has to fight it to keep it from slanting. Does this seem normal for this tyre OR a new tyre in general. Should I be concerned as a new rider and maybe replace it? Or could I just end up in the same situation.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My bike came with that tire (tyre) so it was already worn in but I have no issues with it. It tracks straight, stops well and handles curves with out issue. I'm guessing you've checked other issues that could affect handling like alignment, balance, spokes in good order?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I put a new set of these on a couple of years ago and did not notice any odd handling traits. I did notice a vast improvement over the old dunlops.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My 900 Classic LT also has Commander II on it, and it is very smooth. If I were to guess at what the issue is, I would say it's alignment. The rear wheel had to be removed to replace the tire, thus it has to be aligned again (and belt retentioned). Both tires need to be tracking straight and true for the bike to handle properly. I have never experienced miss alignment, but my understanding is the bike's behaviour would be something like what you are experiencing. I would have whoever put the tire on, to verify that the alignment is correct.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You should definitely check alignment and belt tension.

New Commander 2's make the handling noticeably lighter and more responsive compared to worn Dunlops. They track straight and fall in to a turn easily. They are accurate entering and holding a line and not resistant to banking.

Just mind your tire pressures and get used to the improved feel. It's great. You can trust it.

I fit the taller 170/80-15 on my '09 Classic, which made handling even more eager and smoothed the ride by making the gearing feel a little taller. You should try that next set. Fantastic.

·
Registered
412 Posts
On my V2KLT I went from the stock and fairly worn BT020's to Exedra Max front and rear. Going from a worn tire to a new tire with a proper profile of the crown will always make a difference. My worn tires didn't want to turn, the new ones are very stable and turn in quickly. Give it a few hundred miles after cleaning it a few times and checking the alignment then report back.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
OEM rear tire on my 900 wore out in 9000 miles and I ride conservatively. On previous bikes Bridgestone rears wore like iron. Got a Shinko online and had my tire installer install it (he doesn't like Shinkos!) and it has been wearing very well and also improved handling on our twisty and mountainous roads. Agree with jbiggers about the absolute importance of making certain that alignment and the belt tension are correct. My tire installer also balanced the wheel and did a first rate job.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
The commanders grip better. Why on earth is everybody else riding your bike except you.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think the general consensus is the Commander II is an all around great tire on the Vulcan 900. Let us know how it goes with your bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I finally got out on the bike myself and was pleasantly surprised. My old Harley Davidson tyre was worm and would skid constantly but this tyre sticks like glue. I did feel a slight side to side motion at the stop light but it’s sitting a tad higher and the obvious roundness of the tyre has got to be a factor the other one had a flatness to it. I’m extremely happy with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts