·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
St. Louis, Missouri to Avon, Colorado.

Bike Set-up:

2011 900 Custom
Saddlemen Seat - EXCELLENT!
Engine Guard w/ Highway Pegs - EXCELLENT COMFORT!
Short Backrest
Windshield
Saddlemen 3400 Tour Pack - More than enough for needed clothing!

Met up with my buddies and headed out of St Louis at 6:00 AM. Weather was perfect for travel, overcast sky and temps in the 70's! Thank you weather gods!

As usual, we ride from St Louis to Colby Kansas and stay at the Comfort Inn. If anyone rides the 70 route out toward Colorado, I can not endorse this place enough. They offer great rates, very clean rooms and a nice little bar called "City Limits" right in the building, with excellent food!

I always carry a wet cotton towel in a zip-lock bag for quick clean up. About the time it takes to drink a can of beer and the bike is clean and ready for day #2!

We departed Colby at about 7:30 AM and when we made it to Limon, we jumped on CO24 and headed down toward Colorado Springs for a more scenic ride up to Avon, Colorado. Something about capturing the bike during brief little stops....... Maybe it is just me.

We arrived at out destination about mid afternoon.

On the way out, riding at or near sea level, I averaged 44 - 46 MPG. This was at a cruising speed of 75 - 85 mph. On that note, I was initially concerned about this bike being capable of cruising at a sustained speed like this. I can say with complete confidence, the 900 is very happy to move you along at a quick pace for an extended period of time. No problem!

As you can tell, we had to kinda rough it with the accommodations..... Thank god for trusting family members, we always have a great place to stay on this trip.

One of our favorite rides is over Independence Pass and into Aspen. The bike did very well with the changing altitudes and looked very good doing it!

Here is a video I made of the ride up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vJt6Zrbbhs

Being an owner of a pit bull, I always seize the chance to meet a new pit when I spot one! They are truly the best dogs I have ever had to pleasure of owning!

After a stop for lunch in Aspen, and a water hole stop in Glenwood Springs, it is beautiful Glenwood Canyon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FW2W0asuy8

An interesting note, as always (8th trip out there), the gas consumption is always amazing in the mountains! I averaged 60 mpg while I was in the mountain area! That is better than any hybrid! :)

I loved this trip on the 900 Custom! There was not a single thing that about the bike that I can report as being less that pleasing!

Lastly, here is a video slideshow with additional pics and videos clips..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKKEeMKzmMU

Look forward to my return next June!

PS. My apology to the couple guys in the Colorado area that I had intended on meeting up with. As you can imaging, time tends to get away from you....

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Thanks for that ride report! We need more of that on this site.
Now, seeing the accommodations you like, don't know if you could hang with da Kaw-boys, we rough it compared to that place! Lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
I rode Independence Pass the end of May as part of a 1000 mile trip through the Colorado mountains. That's a cool ride especially with snow still on the ground. I'm going back again next summer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rode Independence Pass the end of May as part of a 1000 mile trip through the Colorado mountains. That's a cool ride especially with snow still on the ground. I'm going back again next summer.
This year was out 8th consecutive trip our there, every June, and I can't wait for next years trip! Crazy thing about it, we are actually starting to get use to riding through Kansas! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like you had a great trip.
Hope we can meet up next year.
We did, as usual, the trip was great!

If memory serves correctly, we went over independence pass on June 5th and headed toward your neck of the woods. That was a weekday and I asked you would likely be working. Our plan to head back there Saturday for complicated when one of my friends on the trip was needed back in St Louis regarding a work related emergency, so we helped him get his things together and he rode all the way back alone (gas stops only!)

Sunday, as you might remember, it rained all day.... :-(

I'll be sure to give you a shout next time. I wasn't too see that nice bike off yours!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for that Colorado ride report. I want to make a Colorado ride but can't get my crew up and running. I live west of Houston and am tired of the local scenery and the hill country. I've been to Colorado 3 times and love it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great report! I've always wanted to take my bike out to Colorado!

Quick question...I notice you have the short backrest, as do I. How is the luggage secured? Is it just by slipping it over the backrest, or is it secured some other way? I bought the short backrest because I thought it looked the best, and I just assumed I wouldn't ever be able to get any luggage for the bike because I didn't think it would be secure enough.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2014, Premium Member
365 Posts
We did, as usual, the trip was great!

If memory serves correctly, we went over independence pass on June 5th and headed toward your neck of the woods. That was a weekday and I asked you would likely be working. Our plan to head back there Saturday for complicated when one of my friends on the trip was needed back in St Louis regarding a work related emergency, so we helped him get his things together and he rode all the way back alone (gas stops only!)

Sunday, as you might remember, it rained all day.... :-(

I'll be sure to give you a shout next time. I wasn't too see that nice bike off yours!

Next time I'll plan ahead and get time off work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great report! I've always wanted to take my bike out to Colorado!

Quick question...I notice you have the short backrest, as do I. How is the luggage secured? Is it just by slipping it over the backrest, or is it secured some other way? I bought the short backrest because I thought it looked the best, and I just assumed I wouldn't ever be able to get any luggage for the bike because I didn't think it would be secure enough.
The touring luggage is the Saddlemen 3400, which had an anchor piece that goes under the seat and has quick connects to secure the bag down to the seat. It sits very secure!

You might be able to see the way it is secured in the attached image. If not, here is a good video review of the luggage.

Saddlemen BR3400 Back Seat or Sissy Bar Bag Vide…: http://youtu.be/ybPmEMdf56M

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
The touring luggage is the Saddlemen 3400, which had an anchor piece that goes under the seat and has quick connects to secure the bag down to the seat. It sits very secure!

You might be able to see the way it is secured in the attached image. If not, here is a good video review of the luggage.

Saddlemen BR3400 Back Seat or Sissy Bar Bag Vide…: http://youtu.be/ybPmEMdf56M

Thanks! Having that anchor strap under the seat would make a great deal of difference. I'll look into it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts