Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my username implies, I prefer red to black for my riding gear for visibility reasons. So, googling around looking for red armored chaps, I found this outfit: www.coloradochaps.com
They custom ordered me some red ballistic nylon and built red chaps for my wife and me. I got summer ones with mesh backs and all-nylon winter ones, CE rated knee armor, leather pipe patches, reflective leg stripes, full length outer zippers... not cheap but I'm really happy with them.:)
Custom colors cost extra - for three pairs of red we had an upcharge of forty bucks because she had to custom order the fabric - but I bet she'd make them in a wide range of colors if her supplier carries the fabric. And if you just want a standard color (black, Brown I think) they're pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice link- what'd you end up for a total. Just curious. Post up some pics, would like to the end product.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would also like to see a photo of your chaps. Thanks in advance.
I'll have to get Mrs. Red to take some. I'll post them soon as I can.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics

Here's a closeup from the front...

And a side view

And the whole red getup.

It's all about visibility. The side stripes are reflective. They also have leather pipe protection inside each leg. Zippers up the outseam almost to my hip bones.

This pair is mesh back. I have a pair that's nylon front and back for cold weather wear. They cost about $165.00 per pair for 3 pairs, 2 for me and one for Mrs. Red. That includes a $40.00 upcharge (total) for special order on the red ballistic nylon.

Every item is priced separately... the chaps are so much, the leather pipe patches are so much, the reflective stripe is so much, another so much for the knee armor, I think the mesh back cost extra... You can pretty much price out a pair by looking at their site at coloradochaps.com, unless you want a special order color.

I ordered them too long which makes them a hassle to zip. Not their fault. My other pair is getting shortened now; when I get them back I'll get these shortened. Another fifteen bucks a pair, but like I said, not their fault.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thank Jeff. Those are pretty cool. I'm gonna check out their site and might get a pair. Do you think they are cooler than leather chaps? I wear leather but once it hits about 80 or so it's really hot.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
rrr, it's a great idea to be mor visible but the reality of the beast is that people don't see you regardless of how Britely lit up you are. At best all they mite acknowledge is that they ran over something colorful. Butt you already know that you are invisible.

People do not see with thier eyes, they see with thier brains (many/most don't have much to start with) and what precious little they navigate thru life is consumed with electronic distractions and other activities. So really they are just rogue missiles with a penchant for errant behavior at the most inopportune moment.

People's basic navigation code consist of executing thier self agenda of where they want to be (and they'r late) and what THREATS mite impede that agenda. SIZE tops that list of threats. so if yor gonna get any notice and respect (rite of way), you have to project a sense of size and raise the threat level. Brandishing hot iron mite not be most PC or legal method, but it is tempting?
With everybody on cells and worse texting the greatest threat is no longer in front but from behind. Currently mc deaths from rear ends is top o list, many/most at stop lites. These self absorbed missile pilots.. er, ballast are running into the back of fully lit up fire trux, ambulance and squad cars.

I use to take dozens of kids white water rafting and would instruct them that the brite yellow floatation gear they wore was not so we could pluk you out the water was mor ez to find the bodies. Then pluk you out. Got their tention. Got yors? Ponchout

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
rrr, it's a great idea to be mor visible but the reality of the beast is that people don't see you regardless of how Britely lit up you are. At best all they mite acknowledge is that they ran over something colorful. Butt you already know that you are invisible.

People do not see with thier eyes, they see with thier brains (many/most don't have much to start with) and what precious little they navigate thru life is consumed with electronic distractions and other activities. So really they are just rogue missiles with a penchant for errant behavior at the most inopportune moment.

People's basic navigation code consist of executing thier self agenda of where they want to be (and they'r late) and what THREATS mite impede that agenda. SIZE tops that list of threats. so if yor gonna get any notice and respect (rite of way), you have to project a sense of size and raise the threat level. Brandishing hot iron mite not be most PC or legal method, but it is tempting?
With everybody on cells and worse texting the greatest threat is no longer in front but from behind. Currently mc deaths from rear ends is top o list, many/most at stop lites. These self absorbed missile pilots.. er, ballast are running into the back of fully lit up fire trux, ambulance and squad cars.

I use to take dozens of kids white water rafting and would instruct them that the brite yellow floatation gear they wore was not so we could pluk you out the water was mor ez to find the bodies. Then pluk you out. Got their tention. Got yors? Ponchout
I can second that rear-end motion. Someone once gave me a piece of advice that made sense so I do it, when I come to a stop, I get the bike towards the right side of the road angled away. In the lane enough to discourage people sliding up next to me, but in such a way that if someone comes barreling up behind me I can get outta there. (or they have room to go around if they see me at the last second). I don't always angle it or anything like that, usually I line up with the right tire of the car or even the right mirror.

It paid off once for me. I was sitting at a stop light, all the sudden I hear SCREEEECH and look to my left and BAM, a black SUV rear ends the car in front of me. (I had managed to get out of the way, I was in neutral, I must have kicked it foward with my legs lol.) Teenage girl with a look of terror on her face and a cellphone in her right hand. She finished her text, put her phone in her pocket, then got it back out again, sent another text, then got out of her car. She was texting the whole time, even while giving her report to the cops.

It's an addiction for some people, and it's gonna get people killed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
...With everybody on cells and worse texting the greatest threat is no longer in front but from behind. Currently mc deaths from rear ends is top o list, many/most at stop lites. These self absorbed missile pilots.. er, ballast are running into the back of fully lit up fire trux, ambulance and squad cars.

...Got yors? Ponchout
Roger that, Ponch, every word. My last two cage wrecks were sitting still, slammed from behind. Both times in full size American pickup trucks. Once sitting still behind a school bus (hard 2 see them busses, y'know. Moron's [email protected] lucky he hit me and not some school kid.) The other time I was third in line sitting at a stop light and a full grown man in a suit slammed into me. Said he was putting his seat belt on. When I regained consciousness I suggested he do that in the parking lot. :mad:

I can second that rear-end motion. Someone once gave me a piece of advice that made sense so I do it, when I come to a stop, I get the bike towards the right side of the road angled away. In the lane enough to discourage people sliding up next to me, but in such a way that if someone comes barreling up behind me I can get outta there. (or they have room to go around if they see me at the last second). I don't always angle it or anything like that, usually I line up with the right tire of the car or even the right mirror.

It paid off once for me. I was sitting at a stop light, all the sudden I hear SCREEEECH and look to my left and BAM, a black SUV rear ends the car in front of me. (I had managed to get out of the way, I was in neutral, I must have kicked it foward with my legs lol.) Teenage girl with a look of terror on her face and a cellphone in her right hand. She finished her text, put her phone in her pocket, then got it back out again, sent another text, then got out of her car. She was texting the whole time, even while giving her report to the cops.

It's an addiction for some people, and it's gonna get people killed.
Get more people killed, that is.
That's a good idea and I'll start doing it. There's a place where I turn left off a 2-way highway on my way home, and people in cages have been killed there by rear-enders. If I've got traffic behind me I signal right, pull off onto the right shoulder, stop and wait, then make my move when it's clear. If they miss the signal there's a good chance they'll be too asleep to follow me onto the right shoulder, too.

All that said, I feel better in the red. Might not make a difference every time - hell, won't make a difference every time - but if one dimwit sees me all loud colored out there it's worth it all.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
rrr, well at least the first responders will be able to identify and pik you out the rubble pile. them brite colors do have an upside.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rrr, well at least the first responders will be able to identify and pik you out the rubble pile. them brite colors do have an upside.
If the alternative is don't ride, I think I'll take my chances. Ya sit on the couch all your life you'll die of the flab. :cool:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sparticus, you say you angle to the right?

For some reason, maybe cager habit, I've always planted my left foot right next to the centerline at a stop. I always watch the people behind me, and if they look like they're coming too fast, I turn around and glare at them. That usually slows them down.

Then again, in another part of my mind, being on the left gives you an avenue of exit straddling the centerline, and also gives the potential rear-ender a chance to swerve right and not hurt anyone but themselves. Thoughts?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Zim_the_Giant; said:
I always watch the people behind me, and if they look like they're coming too fast, I turn around and glare at them. That usually gives the potential rear-ender a chance to swerve right. Thoughts?
ztg, changing shorts comes to mind:eek:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... Do you think they are cooler than leather chaps? I wear leather but once it hits about 80 or so it's really hot.
Dunno. Never wore any leather ones. I've been off bikes about 38 years, and back then my skin was thicker (or maybe my skull was) :rolleyes: and I didn't wear gear.
I did find a set of red leather chaps, but they advertised them as "women's red leather chaps," and somehow it took all the pizazz out of them for me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dunno. Never wore any leather ones. I've been off bikes about 38 years, and back then my skin was thicker (or maybe my skull was) :rolleyes: and I didn't wear gear.
I did find a set of red leather chaps, but they advertised them as "women's red leather chaps," and somehow it took all the pizazz out of them for me.
Thanks for the response Jeff. I love my chaps, but they are unisex black.

-Terese :) aka. WilburDink

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I hope it's the cager's shorts that need changin'. But usually my horn/brake light does a decent job of stopping them.
ztg, yor horn n lites mite wake em up, butt am sure it's thier brakes if/when they use em that is keeping you this side of infinity.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the response Jeff. I love my chaps, but they are unisex black.

-Terese :) aka. WilburDink
Here's a link to the red leathers, chaps and jacket. :D:D
They still tempt me, but PV would prolly make fun of me. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts